Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Can anyone help

I've been given a Skybox and card.

Is it anygood to fit into my RV. I have a freeview which I recently fitted so;
Is there any benefit fitting the Skybox instead ?
Will it work with my RV aerial or do I need a dish?
Thanks

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
i use a plain sky box and dish.

Jan will think your the bees knees (nudge nudge wink:winky: wink:winky: happy day's are here again:Smile:) if you get a dish fitted as you will get perfect TV over most of Europe.

Your current aerial will only receive what you do now you need a dish for the sky box.

Bin the freeview box you'll never look back:winky::winky:

Last edited:

2escapees

Deleted User
Pros and Cons with sky.

Yes you get good reception but most of the programs are cr*p.

Cons you need at least an 85cm dish. You have to subscribe minimum £17 per month.

Unless you are really desperate for UK TV when you travel I would give it a miss.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I used a home mini dish and tripod over most of europe with my caravan.

Link Removed

If you have an operational card why would you need to pay?

You get the normal channel plus loads of others FREE:winky:

Last edited:

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
The sky box and card need to be coupled to a satellite dish, either freestanding or fitted, you do not need to subscibe to sky to recieve the free to air satellite stations, the card in the box will simply give you channel 4 and 5 as these are encrypted stations and require a card to de-encrypt?.

In the UK and parts of europe a small dish will suffice, I would suggest a browse of the Road pro web site as they do sell a large range of manual and automatic satellite dishes, also maplin have an offer on at the moment for satellite equipment.

regards

nick

ps I do supply satellite systems but am offering you advice not a sales pitch:Smile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Jan's already seen TV on a sky box coupled to a crank up Maxview sat dish when she watch "Strictly come dancing" in my RV:winky:

BTW:- Ror, Nicks fitted price is very keen at Adventure above:winky:

Last edited:
N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
An old camera tripod, 3 tent pegs and a standard home sky dish works for me...

try your local freecycle (yahoo groups) for a dish... and tripod:winky:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Pros and Cons with sky.

Yes you get good reception but most of the programs are cr*p.

Cons you need at least an 85cm dish. You have to subscribe minimum £17 per month.

Unless you are really desperate for UK TV when you travel I would give it a miss.

Incorrect. You can buy a card for £20 & with even the small type dish as on my van, seen on the photo below, you will get a picture all over Europe as far down as SW Portugal. :thumb:

Can't improve on the progs though, depends what you like to watch ::bigsmile:

Attachments

• Beach Bon Repos2.jpg
    Beach Bon Repos2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 59

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We have a magicsat system installed August 2002. Two and a half years later the dish would not do what it was supposed to do, result was we needed a new control box cost £700. Just before Christmas, yes, about two and a half years later, exactly the same thing happened, and we've been told that the cost of a new control box has gone up.

So we bought a cheap dish from our local shop, fixed it to the base of her washing line and have no problems.

Magicsat?? Magicrubbish more like!!!:Doh:

Bob and Di

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
The reason I enquired was because I was given the box and card. To be honest there are enough channels on the freeview and it works through my existing aerial and the only time we watch it is if the weathers bad.
I assume I won't get the good sport or movie channels and I'm not sure I want the hassle of messing with a dish. Watched 2 blokes in Devon last summer trying to set up a dish in Dawlish Warren after about 2 hours they gave up and threw it across the field.
I use my van to get away from stress not add to it and I'm not the most patient person when it comes to techno stuff either, I have a habit of throwing stuff over hedges as well.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
The reason I enquired was because I was given the box and card. To be honest there are enough channels on the freeview and it works through my existing aerial and the only time we watch it is if the weathers bad.
I assume I won't get the good sport or movie channels and I'm not sure I want the hassle of messing with a dish. Watched 2 blokes in Devon last summer trying to set up a dish in Dawlish Warren after about 2 hours they gave up and threw it across the field.
I use my van to get away from stress not add to it and I'm not the most patient person when it comes to techno stuff either, I have a habit of throwing stuff over hedges as well.

Ror, Jan can alway watch my TV:winky:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I assume I won't get the good sport or movie channels and I'm not sure I want the hassle of messing with a dish.

You assume right Ror.....you have to pay extra for Sky Box Office (movies) & Sky sports - if that is what you are looking for you'll have to cough up, or alternatively stick with the Freeview if you're easily pleased :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back