BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Having just retired I am considering buying an electric bike so that my local explorations are not totally reliant on my fitness.
Can anybody suggest some suitable models, or even point out the features that I should look for/ignore.

Bob

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Good choice I'd say, look for a 36amp battery of at least 10amp/hour, Ignore the cheap chinese monkey metal versions, you get what you pay for, I personally prefer a bike with the twist throttle feature as well, decide if you need a folding bike or not as the folders usually have small wheels which can make them twitchy in use. weight is also a factor, some bikes can be heavy especially with the battery fitted, look at your bike rack capacity, can you lift the bike on the rack easily.
Best advice is try to find a dealer with test bikes that you can try first, it opened my eyes to what I wanted, hope this helps.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In the family we have 5 leccy bikes all bought from Peter at AS Bikes

1) Reasonably priced

2) Customer service 2nd to none

3) Someone in the family bought a VERY expensive all singing and dancing bike from germany.. Within 4 months it was sold and another one bought from AS Bikes :winky:

4) Woman has the small(er) wheeled version with 24v battery, and I have the bigger one and I opted for the 36v battery. I can honestly say we have NEVER run out of battery power, even on some of the heavier, hillier rides we have done .. Our bums always give out long before the batteries do ( Longest round trip we have done is 18 miles )

5) Customer service is second to none .. I know that was number two but it is so good it really should be mentioned twice !:ROFLMAO:

6) the batteries are removable in seconds ( with the key ) so are always stored in the van when we are on the move

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Google AS bikes Coventry and look at their electric cycles, quite a few members on here have their folding bikes and speak very highly of them, myself included, mine are 2 years old now and have had no problems whatsoever.:thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We each have one of AS Bikes folding electric bikes and find them very easy to use and reasonable price. If you get any problems their after sales service is brilliant. click HERE for web site.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I would work out if I want it for pootling around just 4 or 5 miles around, if then the fold up bike suits the purpose.

If you want to explore more 20 mile or more then I would look at the Giant electric bikes, we have had our Shwinn similar and Giant over the past 10 years and explored far and wide with them, for example gone from Arisaig to Malliag on them and would not like to have done that on one of the smaller bikes, have a look at both kinds before you decide which suits you.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I'd certainly vote for AS bikes in terms of product, customer service and value for money. We bought at a show and there was plenty of time to try out different models and even try fitting it on the van bike rack. Its a delight to find such positive approach to customers today.:Smile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Agree with all above, AS Bikes Coventry we bought two at Stratford show last year, good bikes, good service :thumb:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Another thing to consider is location, we bought ours from Electric cycles in Cromer, nearer to where we live, good deal and good service so far, they have a range to try out as well.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can anybody suggest some suitable models, or even point out the features that I should look for/ignore.

Bob

It's just like buying a car. You can buy cheap ir mega expensive.

But today I'd say 36V LION battery. Anything else is yesterday.

But remember, the battery is a good 50% of what you spend, once it's gone it's loads of money for a replacement.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Several people recommend AS bikes of Coventry here so I set out to find them on the internet.

It was not totally straightforward. To save others the trouble I had, go to www.folding-bikes.net/asbikes .

Having googled it I first finished up on a different site, apparently called AS bikes, but maybe it was some sort of test site as none of the links worked.

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
That's strange. I have an AS bike and have just googled asbikes which immediately brought up asbikes.co.uk, the correct site. No problem at all.:Smile:

Ivy

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
We needed bikes that were adapted for Rosies needs, AS bikes couldn't supply what we needed.......but for value for money and excellent service you will be hard pressed to beat Peter at AS bikes.......we rode more bikes and spoke to more dealers when looking.......If you want basic and value for money then Peter.......any thing else stat shopping we bought Freego super quality and at around £1,000 better value against competition at 12-1500

All the best Rick

Bee

Free Member
Dec 16, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
:thumb:We also bought two bikes from AS Bikes recommended by Jaws extremely pleased with them and they are so helpful any queries justgive them a ring and they sought it out.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Have to go with AS Bikes, Peter knows what he is talking about and is helpful to would be purchasers and old customers too.

They are based just outside Coventry.

Certainly have seen better build quality than most, and good pricing.

Roger & Sheila:Smile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back