Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
This little proposed change may a first glance seem almost irrelevant, but if accepted may have huge implications
the term in use now state to be used on the public roads a vehicle must remain in a "Minimum Road worthiness Condition"
The new terminology states "Original Type Approval"
This I believe is what causes Motorhomes to fail some Euro MoT tests for being non\"Type Approved because, you had a bike rack,roof box or some other extra fitted after it left the factory:Eeek:
This is one we all should strive to get knocked on the head

It also includes proposals to have cars/vans involved in collisions MoT'd before they can be put back on the road, even though an mot may not be due yet, even vehicles under 3 years old
More to follow
G

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

well that must also apply to cars as well...no roof rack, no roof bars, no towbar, no underbody lighting kits (boyracers), no extra driving lights etc

and if you really go into detail, new tyres, new brake pads, new body parts, new brake fluid, new wiper blades, new bulbs etc must also be factory OE supplied parts....as they too will be part of the type approval.

thats going to increase the unemployment figure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

well that must also apply to cars as well...no roof rack, no roof bars, no towbar, no underbody lighting kits (boyracers), no extra driving lights etc

and if you really go into detail, new tyres, new brake pads, new body parts, new brake fluid, new wiper blades, new bulbs etc must also be factory OE supplied parts....as they too will be part of the type approval.

Not In my workshop it wont:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
well if it stops the cheap chinese unsafe aftermarket parts then thats a good thing in my book.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Don't know where the "fail in Europe" comes from Geo but my van (you know well) sailed through the French CT (MOT) as you know there are lots of after market parts on it. Bike rack, solar,sat dish, oven and gaslow. :Doh:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Don't know where the "fail in Europe" comes from Geo but my van (you know well) sailed through the French CT (MOT) as you know there are lots of after market parts on it. Bike rack, solar,sat dish, oven and gaslow. :Doh:

WOW:Eeek::Doh:

This I believe is what causes Motorhomes to fail some Euro MoT tests

Well Geo... I must back Ken up on this....Where did this info come from "fail in Europe"..
My English car registered in France 9 years ago..10 years old...and it is still like new..inside and out, regular serviced.but it is still 10 years old..2000cc Diesel Picasso....it has had 6 control technique passes(MOT)...in 9 years over here...the lights still have the stick on beam benders that I came over with.....it has NEVER ever failed a MOT in it's 10 year life.. although they did say once,.. before you next come for a MOT in two years time, ask your service garage to adjust one near side rear brake drum to make it equal to the off side BUT it was still within the limits required.....
Also the control technique (MOT) are NOT garage related OR garage controlled...there places are so clean they are like a showrooms...they normally drive your vehicle around in a half circle inside the test building..doing the MOT task's as they go around ...
They are NOT looking for work as they do not DO work...
They do not stick large pointed rods or screwdrivers or crowbars into the body. so the places they have spiked in future years will rust, because of paint and under seal chipped off......like they used to do in the ones I visited in the UK...
They do not have purges on certain items on a car like they did in the UK.... one example.: front brake disc's...in Brid if one failed the front disc you could guarantee every other car would also:Doh::Doh:

This is what I have found in the ones I have visited...I don't know How other's Brits feel that are registered over here in France
I myself find it is a different world for MOT's in France plus under 3.5 tons the first service is after 4 years and then every two years after.......with the same amount of vehicle checks on the car as they do in the UK.........And don't forget there is NO ROAD TAX ....just vehicle insurance

"Quote"All so you lot can have an MoT while you are away on holliday
Geo they may well find that they are better off having a MOT over here in France...it would mean a lot of the UK stations would loose a lot of easy work...test and retest:Eeek::Doh:......you may even find a steady stream start coming over to France for a MOT then it turns into a large river coming over for a MOT...the Dover ferries running special daily trips to France Just for a MOT:Doh::winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

images

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I have to say I changed my headlamps for LHD ones.
Then it sailed through the CT.Then off to the prefecure to have it put into the French system.
I heard all sorts of horror stories about this. DRIRE would demand I do this n that and such.
Got a certificate of conformity from Itineo (free) took it with me along with my V5 and the CT and it was just "D'accord" 10 minutes later I had my Number plates done. Simples!!! :thumb:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

There are two type approval systems in operation, John.
Hence the two different approval marks you will find on any vehicle.
One system relates to a vehicle in its assembled state, whilst the other relates to components.
A component can be type approved even if it's not fitted by the original manufacturer as long as it meets type approval requirements and falls within "Assembled" State" approval, so after fit bits of kit like wiper blades, light bulbs, roof racks etc. can still be said to meet TA standards.
How far the statement regarding "Original" approval will go is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Same in Spain, my Spanish registered 2001 Rimor has a bicycle rack bolted onto the rear and went straight through (and always has) the ITV. I think it is very good that the ITV (MOT) stations do not “Do” repairs so they only find what IS wrong with the vehicle, if its faulty then you take it to a garage and they fix it, then you take it back to ITV station. Interesting that when they ITV a vehicle they take a photo of it, not sure why but they do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back