Linux : Ubuntu 12.10 (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I looked at Ubuntu a while ago but that was as far as I went, got cold feet.. but today, being a bit bored installed it on a pen drive to try it out .. Happy with that I went ahead and installed it on a partition of the HDD .. and re booted.. I was a bit apprehensive that I may have problems with drivers, but all went well.. It booted up fast .. very fast, less than 40 secs.

What a beautiful operating system, so like OS X, fast and snappy, I was soon at home with it.. First job was to get my Kodak wifi printer working .. no problems, it found the drivers and I had printed a test page in double quick time.

Moving onto likely needed software I found everything I needed.. all easy to install ..

I was even happier when I discovered I could access all my documents, images and music on Windows, without migrating it..

It comes with Firefox,, but I prefer Chrome, so downloaded it and synced with my Google account .. painless.

I'm probably preaching to the Linux converted .. but if you have never thought or only thought it was for geeks, think again.. it's simple and easy to try out and if you like, do as I did and keep windows until you are happy you won't use it again.. It's a bit like swimming, no use just watching.. jump in and enjoy .. In future I doubt I will ever use Windows on a new PC ..

I know there are a few who use Linux/ Ubuntu .. . how do you find it, do you still use Windows or have you ditched it completely.. ?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Desktop has Linux only installed - and it flies. I'm a complete numpty with technology, but my son set it up about three years ago. Absolutely no problems, and importantly NO VIRUSES. :thumb:

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am always happy to see more people having a play with an OS that isn't MS or Apple.

Ubuntu isn't for me, they hide too much of the workings of the OS to make it easier for new comers to Linux. They seem to do a good job on this front. But it takes away a lot of the control I am used to on linux.

That is the beauty of Linux. If you don't like it you can change it. There are 30+ different window managers. You can choose your own filemanager, task bar, network manager etc etc etc and make the perfect system.

Prepackaged distributions like Ubuntu, Suse, Redhat and many more mean that if you don't like one you can try another.

There are distributions targeted at many different people, from old people to musicians, from programmers to artists. There is a distribution that is designed for you. Unlike MS and Apple who try to create a single OS that works for everyone Linux gets changed to suite the hardware, the application and the user.

Linux demonstrates it's versatility by powering everything from mobile phones to super computers and everything in between.

If you like trying something new I would recommend downloading a few of the bootable CD/DVD distributions and having a play. You never know you might like one and find it works better for you.

magsinfrance

Free Member
Jul 16, 2010
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Hobby
Exp
Since 1981
"""What a beautiful operating system, so like OS X, fast and snappy, I was soon at home with it.. First job was to get my Kodak wifi printer working .. no problems, it found the drivers and I had printed a test page in double quick time."""

Hi all you clever people:RollEyes:
I too am more than happy with Ubuntu (Son installed it for me because I was getting so many crashes with Windows xp) The only problem I have had is my Kodak printer, didn't have a driver and Kodak said they had no plans to release one so very interested in how you managed to get yours installed and working.
My model is Kodak Easy Share5300 if anyone has any ideas it would be great.

Maggie (Sorry didn't mean to hyjack the thread):Blush:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
"""What a beautiful operating system, so like OS X, fast and snappy, I was soon at home with it.. First job was to get my Kodak wifi printer working .. no problems, it found the drivers and I had printed a test page in double quick time."""

Hi all you clever people:RollEyes:
I too am more than happy with Ubuntu (Son installed it for me because I was getting so many crashes with Windows xp) The only problem I have had is my Kodak printer, didn't have a driver and Kodak said they had no plans to release one so very interested in how you managed to get yours installed and working.

Maggie (Sorry didn't mean to hyjack the thread):Blush:

Hi Maggie..

not at all .. it's why I posted..
all I did was go to the system settings panel/ printers/add .

Selected 'Network printer' , typed in the IP Address for the printer, it found it .. then a drop down box for make, then model .. mine is a Kodak Hero 7.1 .. and off it went, found the driver and installed it..

sorry I can't help more .. is yours a usb or wifi ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The only problem I have had is my Kodak printer, didn't have a driver and Kodak said they had no plans to release one so very interested in how you managed to get yours installed and working.

This is where linux gets a bit complicated. The problem is Kodak do not make a linux driver for this printer otherwise everything would be easy. There is an open source driver for this printer but apparently it is not perfect and it is a little complicated to install. It says that it is fully compatible with your printer and most features work so it could be worth a try.

EDIT: THIS PACKAGE SHOULD BE AVAILABLE FROM SYNAPTIC, FIRST TRY INSTALLING IT FROM SYNAPTIC - OPEN SYNAPTIC AND LOOK FOR c2esp THEN INSTALL AND CONFIGURE FOR YOUR PRINTER (DOCUMENTATION:https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal/+source/c2esp/25c-1ubuntu1)

First download the most recent version from http://sourceforge.net/projects/cupsdriverkodak/files

If you are on a 64-bit machine choose "c2esp_18-4ubuntu1_amd64.deb" if you are on an i386 choose "c2esp_25c-1_i386.deb" otherwise get "c2esp26.tar.gz" and compile it from source yourself (personally I would compile from source).

Here is a tutorial on TAR and how to compile from source specifically for this printer driver... jump to 5 mins and 25 seconds for compiling from source:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsBL6LbJvbQ&t=5m25s"]TAR me a Tarball + Compiling Kodak Printer Driver - YouTube[/ame]

Note also there is an install script available on the cupsdriverkodak site, might be worth trying.

You MUST make sure you have all of the dependencies before you install this:
build-essential
cups
libcups2-dev
libcupsimage2-dev
libcupsdriver1-dev

Get them from synaptic.

EDIT: Here is a post that explains how to set up a printer (the information regarding install is probably outdated) Link Removed

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
dont forget the lite versions...puppy or Lubuntu etc - very slick running OS designed for netbooks or older machines

and can be run from a USB stick so you can have a system on a stick with key docs etc so you can run it anywhere you can get access to a PC

Built and old laptop with this for my Dad last week...his first computer::bigsmile: and hes 79...found it easy to use, and he is an out and out technophobe...who is now addicted to amazon!

magsinfrance

Free Member
Jul 16, 2010
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Hobby
Exp
Since 1981
Thankyou so much Snowbird for all the information, you are very kind going to all that trouble. :thumb:

I will talk to my son tomorrow and see if he will try it for me.
Thanks again
Maggie:Smile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thankyou so much Snowbird for all the information, you are very kind going to all that trouble. :thumb:

yes indeed..

It's just amazing the pool of knowledge on this forum and the effort members make to help .. .. well done Dave :thumb:

hope your son sorts it out for you Maggie :Smile:

PS.. love your signatures.. also a Lennon fan

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I am always happy to see more people having a play with an OS that isn't MS or Apple.

[HI]Ubuntu isn't for me, they hide too much of the workings of the OS to make it easier for new comers to Linux. They seem to do a good job on this front. But it takes away a lot of the control I am used to on linux.[/HI]

That is the beauty of Linux. If you don't like it you can change it. There are 30+ different window managers. You can choose your own filemanager, task bar, network manager etc etc etc and make the perfect system.

Prepackaged distributions like Ubuntu, Suse, Redhat and many more mean that if you don't like one you can try another.

There are distributions targeted at many different people, from old people to musicians, from programmers to artists. There is a distribution that is designed for you. Unlike MS and Apple who try to create a single OS that works for everyone Linux gets changed to suite the hardware, the application and the user.

Linux demonstrates it's versatility by powering everything from mobile phones to super computers and everything in between.

If you like trying something new I would recommend downloading a few of the bootable CD/DVD distributions and having a play. You never know you might like one and find it works better for you.

Having played with it for a couple of days Karl I agree entirely.. Ubuntu is for users .. not geeks.. (no offence intended, rather it's a compliment ) :Smile:

So far I love it.. I've tested out a lot of Ubuntu software and generally it does all I need with only a few exceptions.. One in particular was Timeline .. so I loaded it using 'Wine' and it ran faultlessly.. as did Windows Picasa 3

Shutdown reboot times are fast.. typically less than 45sec.. applications load quickly with no waiting .. everything is just so snappy compared to W7 .. I'm back to using Firefox, it seems to work faster than Chrome..

The human interface is pleasing and well thought out .. basically does what it says on the box.. I would recommend it . ..:thumb:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Having played with it for a couple of days Karl I agree entirely.. Ubuntu is for users .. not geeks.. (no offence intended, rather it's a compliment ) :Smile:

So far I love it.. I've tested out a lot of Ubuntu software and generally it does all I need with only a few exceptions.. One in particular was Timeline .. so I loaded it using 'Wine' and it ran faultlessly.. as did Windows Picasa 3

Shutdown reboot times are fast.. typically less than 45sec.. applications load quickly with no waiting .. everything is just so snappy compared to W7 .. I'm back to using Firefox, it seems to work faster than Chrome..

The human interface is pleasing and well thought out .. basically does what it says on the box.. I would recommend it . ..:thumb:

I was called a geek long before it became "cool". No problems at all.

If you want to see a fast booting OS you should see tinycore. Excluding the bios I can boot in less than 5 seconds:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back