Angle Aluminium to attach panel (1 Viewer)

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Looking to fix my large solar panel to the roof. I've bought some Sikaflex 512 to attach it with so now looking for some suitable angle metal to make the brackets. I'm wondering if this size aluminium angle will be strong enough -

3" x 3" x 1/8" - 6082 T6 /HE30 General Engineering Grade Aluminum.

Need to be sure as the panel weighs 17kg / 37lbs so want it to stay put, thinking of cutting 1m length into 4 x 250mm brackets.

The other option is 1/4" ally but that's twice as much money - £28 for 1m compared to £15 for the 1/8".

Any thoughts on the best option or if the prices I've been quoted are reasonable?

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
The roof you are bonding too(presume aluminium) is thinner than the 3x3x1/8" angle you propose. The lengths 250mm (10") should be adequate to take the load and spread the weight, and the method of attatchment bonding with sikaflex 512
will afford some level of flexability acting like a rubber mounting.

regards
:thumb:Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I found angle aluminium far more affordable than the "brackets" on offer and I used bolts as well as Sikaflex.

Sikaflex is easily strong enough on its own though especially as I know you will clean the surfaces it is going onto really, really well.

JJ

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
why not just buy proper brackets.

Link Removed

big enough 'footprint' for sticking down.

The ridges on the roof of my MH mean the brackets need to attach to the roof under the panel and cannot extend beyond the panel perimeter so most of the purpose made brackets sit outside the edges of the panel - and the ones I've found only state suitable for panels up to 150w (mines 213w) - otherwise I'd go for them, at £19 they are very reasonable.

I'd also like to attach the panel by it's sides as then at some point I'd like to be able to pivot the panel and angle it up towards the sun should I find myself out in the winter needing more power.

Is the 20mm gap they mention a advisable gap between panel and roof?

Last edited:

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Looking to fix my large solar panel to the roof. I've bought some Sikaflex 512 to attach it with so now looking for some suitable angle metal to make the brackets. I'm wondering if this size aluminium angle will be strong enough -

3" x 3" x 1/8" - 6082 T6 /HE30 General Engineering Grade Aluminum.

Need to be sure as the panel weighs 17kg / 37lbs so want it to stay put, thinking of cutting 1m length into 4 x 250mm brackets.

The other option is 1/4" ally but that's twice as much money - £28 for 1m compared to £15 for the 1/8".

Any thoughts on the best option or if the prices I've been quoted are reasonable?

I got mine from the local srap merchant,or whatever the PC name is these days,my local one is friendly lets me look through the aluminium and sells it to me by weight.:thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
B&Q. for me as well...
I bought a piece 3 years ago for £10. made 4 brackets for an 80w panel and just sickaflex down on the roof of my old van.. Held no problems......
Just managed to get 4 more brackets out of the left over sevtion to do same on my new van this year, so was good value....

Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Thanks for the responses, think I'll go for 2" brackets in 1/8" aluminium, should be strong enough in 4 x 250mm lengths and enough area to get a good bond.

Does the Sikaflex bond best to a very smooth surface or something with a slight key to it? I ask as my 28 year old roof needs a good clean and am wondering whether to try and rub it down with some very fine sandpaper to get a smooth as possible?

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
always keys better on a rough surface not a smooth one:thumb:

That makes sense - so as long as it's super clean then not to worry about the non-smooth surface?

And is it best to create a 2 to 3mm gap between bracket and roof for Sikaflex to bond best by using some for of spacer?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I would clean the area where the brackets will sit and then a light sandpaper just to give a bit of rough surface to get a grip on...

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
see here for an excellent article by one of our members

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
see here for an excellent article by one of our members

Broken Link Removed

Thanks jhorsf, that article was where I got most of my ideas from, well written and some good pics.

Just need to work out how to make some good spacers, those bolts seem a lot of extra work when I was hoping to just cut some 2mm plastic sticks up to use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back