7 inch Tablets Advice Sought (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Looking to buy a small tablet for internet use, book reading and the like, browsing Currys/PC World today these 2 seem to fit the bill a Blackberry Playbook (almost half price and a Samsung galaxy Tablet 2.

Whats the panels view, pro's and cons of both would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Stewart, I have looked and looked and looked.

Wen't to currys and looked at the playbook on the advice of some on here. However, it wasn't for me. I was told if I was expecting an Ipad then I would be dissapointed. I was.

One excellent thing though is the price, keen as mustard.

So anyhow, Nikki doesn't know it yet, but she has a Galaxy tab 7 in her stocking from Santa, along with a new Galaxy phone,

I have a Galaxy 3 and it's ace, we will rapidly become a Galaxy household over Apple.

The Galaxy is like an ipad,,, just IMO better :winky:

Currys have a £30 off deal at present :thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Seen the light at long last Paul!!!

I too looked at the Blackberry and as Paul said, it was not for me, don't know why, just did not do it. Having said that I am still toying if I need one or not, have been at this point for 8 months...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought a Samsung in April and Jill was so impressed that she bought herself one a few days later.

I then went and bought a Playbook 2 days ago, having seen the reviews on here, not because I needed it but with a background in IT I like toys.

They are both very good machines but they are tablets so I still use a laptop (or netbook on travels) for anything that needs Windows software and/or a reasonable amount of typing.

I'll need to use the Playbook for a while and research/download some apps before I can evaluate it fully but I'm impressed with it so far. There seems to be less software available for it than for Android machines but that might be just me not having looked far enough.

It would be worth going into Currys/PC World and having a play with the display models to see what suits you best. If the Playbook does what you want there is no point in paying the extra £70 for the Samsung.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Think it depends how techy you want to get, we have had the Blackberry for a month now and love it, great for surfing the net, You tube, photo's and music, grandchildren 14 and 17 have had one each in the past week and think they are brilliant for FB and things like that.
They are both very very up to date but have no problem with having the PB instead of a I Pad. Also Grandson is doing his A levels in English and has downloaded loads of Shakespear, at 64 gig he can download as much as he wants.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Stewart, I have looked and looked and looked.

Wen't to currys and looked at the playbook on the advice of some on here. However, it wasn't for me. I was told if I was expecting an Ipad then I would be dissapointed. I was.

One excellent thing though is the price, keen as mustard.

So anyhow, Nikki doesn't know it yet, but she has a Galaxy tab 7 in her stocking from Santa, along with a new Galaxy phone,

I have a Galaxy 3 and it's ace, we will rapidly become a Galaxy household over Apple.

The Galaxy is like an ipad,,, just IMO better :winky:

Currys have a £30 off deal at present :thumb:

well...id almost written you off as well:ROFLMAO: good onyah

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Don't overlook the Google Nexus - Android based - makes a top quality SatNav, excellent MP3 player and photo viewer. Plus lots of Apps.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
I too use the Nexus 7.

The Android App store has a lot of useful stuff cheaply. Also you can download the Google Maps to work offline so it does a good job of plotting where you are with no connection with the WiFi only version. Good display, can even borrow books from the Suffolk Libraray using Overdrive :Smile:

Cheers

sampain

Free Member
Sep 1, 2012
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think the Samsung Galaxy range is excellent, but I wouldn't rule out a generic 7" Andoird device like a GoTab or Yarvic.
If you search the likes of eBay, or look at eBuyer you will see a selection.
If you see one you like, I would Google the name of it to check for reviews.
I have seen them range from around £90 up to £179.
You may also want to consider the Motorola Xoom 2 (I have the first version) Media edition which is 8.2" and Argos were selling recently for £179.99.
The cheapest I have seen this is £149.99, but can't remember where.
Just found this, but don't know anything about the brand [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008GBCWW4/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21"]NATPC Typhoon HD RTB 8GB - 7" IPS 1024 x 600 Touchscreen Super Slim High Definition Android Tablet PC with DUAL cameras - front and back - FREE CARRY CASE / STAND: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

Last edited:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I bought a playbook and Im very pleased with it .
great for a number of simple tasks.....watching films .listening to music...
playing a few games.Surfing the net.

However I cant see what all the fuss is about...a small laptop running windows 7 is so much more useful and can do so much more.

At home I have a powerful desktop........so the laptop and the tablet
are mostly redundant. And for proper work give me a mouse over touch screen any day.

I think its just a trend.a bit like 3d......it catches the public's imagination...then might just fade away.
A slim light small lappy will outgun a tablet every day.

But for the price the 64g playbook is a bargain...and I do like mine

barry

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I bought a playbook and Im very pleased with it .
great for a number of simple tasks.....watching films .listening to music...
playing a few games.Surfing the net.

However I cant see what all the fuss is about...a small laptop running windows 7 is so much more useful and can do so much more.

At home I have a powerful desktop........so the laptop and the tablet
are mostly redundant. And for proper work give me a mouse over touch screen any day.

I think its just a trend.a bit like 3d......it catches the public's imagination...then might just fade away.
A slim light small lappy will outgun a tablet every day.

But for the price the 64g playbook is a bargain...and I do like mine

barry

I held exactly the same view. The reason I got the playbook was I am a fulltimer and go off hookup quite a bit. My Laptop is a big old powerful one that sucks 5amps out of my batteries. That is a lot when all I want to do is watch a film. The tablet allows me to watch 8-10 hours of tv/films without having the monster powered up which extends my ability to stay off hookup.

I did look at other tablets but they were either too expensive or had too little memory and no SD card.

The longer I have the playbook for the more uses I find for it. It is a fantastic organiser. The calendar on a 7" screen is so much more useful than the little one on my phone. The contact manager ditto.

As an RSS news feed reader it is fantastic, and I now read all my news on the tablet. The magazine software is yet to be tested but looks promising.

I am on the verge of getting rid of my iPod touch as I can fit all my music on the tablet for use around the van. I will just load what I fancy on my iPod nano for wandering about as it so much easier to use without taking it out of my pocket.

When I visit my mum, I take it in for emails. It also turns out useful for answering questions while we are watching tv/films. What was that actor in before?

It has also been handy for all my manuals. I have them in pdf format and are now all stored on the tablet.

From being a sceptic of tablets I am now finally a convert... I really couldn't see the point to a tablet before. They were too big to fit in your pocket, the screen was too small to be useful like my laptop and it had no keyboard. It was a solution looking for a problem. If it wasn't for the 64GB version coming in so cheap I still wouldn't have one but at £129 it was worth a gamble. I am so glad I did now..

I was about to buy a Samsung Galaxy 3, but I am now waiting for the OS10 to come out and will be looking at the blackberry phones again.:thumb:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years

, but I am now waiting for the OS10 to come out and will be looking at the blackberry phones again.:thumb:

I can see how it is even more useful to you than me..even though I really like my Playbook.

Do you think OS10 will be able to be loaded onto current playbooks ?

barry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I can see how it is even more useful to you than me..even though I really like my Playbook.

Do you think OS10 will be able to be loaded onto current playbooks ?

barry

apparantly .. yes, according to this thread on Crackberry

Looks like BB10 is scheduled for Q1 2013 and the Playbook upgrade to BB10 straddles in between Q1 and Q2

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
barry

For simple browsing, picture viewing, movies or book reading in an arm chair the tablet wins.

Sent from tablet in Whitby, conveniently.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Another vote for the Google nexus 7 , they have just brought out a 32 GB version too

Discussed this one with her ladyship and went looking today, she was rather impressed so we've bought the 32gb version and what a nice piece of kit it is, but I need to put it down now and have some tea:Eeek::Eeek:

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
There was a time when all we had to choose between was VHS or Betamax.
I,m on the fence on this one.Dont need it...Yet
::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back