Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Hi has anybody any ideas about biodeisel fuel and can you mix with regular deisel.................Bruce

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have been running on it for years and many thousands of miles with no problems whatsoever. It depends on what engine you are using it in whether its suitable or not. I suggest you do your homework on this. As for mixing it with diesel, it will mix in any quantity.
Try to stay clear of Lucas injector pumps, unless you fit an inline heater.

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
bio diesel

All diesel sold in the UK has bio-diesel mixed with petro chemical diesel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Agree with both previous posts,Older engines are probably safer to use bio,but again,do your homework,bio affects rubber and other seals so be careful,morrisons may have 5% added at the pumps as already said,also bio is much the same price at the pumps but you,re allowed to make 2500 litres withought paying tax.Personally i,ve got a friendly local club who let me have their old WVO,i filter it 2 or 3 or 4 times to 1 micron,then mix it 50/50 straight into the camper,1994 1926cc fiat ducatto base,I,ve done spain and back on it no problem,got caught out once when i left it settling and didn,t notice the sediment that collects over time.Always carry a spare fuel filter.Dont think i,d try it on more modern engines with engine management and the like,but some are made for it ,so i,m told.:Smile:
It does smell like your local chippie though::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
To give you some idea of running costs, I have just returned from a 1000km round trip with a 5 ton MH towing a boat on a trailer for 75% of the journey for the princely sum of £50. I do have long range tanks fitted though :Cool:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The latest EN590 spec for diesel allows for up to 7% bio product which is more correctly described as FAME. Loads of references on the internerd but here is one I pulled down from a trader's website Link Removed

That does not mean to say that there is 7% in there - it is a max spec and as it is expensive there is probably less. It is rather a good lubricant so helps in ultra low sulphur diesel as the sulphur is a lubricant, believe it or not.........

There is a lot of stuff written on motorhome forums and elsewhere about putting "bio products" into their fuel tanks and well worth a look if you are bored. Anyone that sticks the stuff in a modern common common rail engine other than according to the specification is taking a risk, though it works well in older engines. It can destroy seals and pure FAME does not have great cold properties. In a harsh environment, it can also oxidise and additionally deteriorate due to anerobic bacteria causing filter blockages..

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
On the subject of diesel does anyone know if running a vehicle on red diesel would do it any harm.Obviously it's illegal but what would be the risks.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
have run on filtered and doctored chip oil in my 2007 2.8 Peugeot without any issues at all

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
red is just the same stuff but has a dye and a chemical added.
mechanically there is no difference but if the powers that be caught you its a hefty fine and vehicle can get crushed.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
On the subject of diesel does anyone know if running a vehicle on red diesel would do it any harm.Obviously it's illegal but what would be the risks.
red diesel is exactly the same as road diesel but a red dye is added to denote a different tax rate has been paid....5% i believe, the same as domestic heating oil..

get caught with red in yer tank and you may as well say goodbye to your motorhome and your wallet.

you cannot remove the dye and it lingers for a very long time so filling with regular diesel again will still show a red dye.

Last edited:

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
You will also find that Marine Red diesel can be significantly more expensive than white road diesel unless you are buying it in large quantities. Marine supplied diesel for use at sea does not contain FAIM as, it can damage the seals in the fuel pumps of older engines and over time encourages the growth of "Diesel Bug". This should be taken into account for those who winterise their motor homes, it was always the case that filling the tank before laying up was advised to reduce condensation however storing quantities of fuel for months can now have much more damaging consequences. The use of soltron or a similar product before winterising may be advisable.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You will find that it is only the older engines with Bosch pumps that will handle it, as these are more agricultural for want of a better term. Any other pump will suffer.

The mixture would need to be correct, too neat and you have problems with reliability - I had a guy in a landrover who was a 'regular' for breakdowns years ago. I would recover him and take him to garages - it got to the stage where every garage would not accept his vehicle as he had been running neat bio.

In colder climates, you need a pre-heater - in a motorhome, laid up for months you would need to drain the tank or pop in a percentage of petrol to deal with mould. Is it worth it? Not really!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
red diesel is exactly the same as road diesel but a red dye is added to denote a different tax rate has been paid....5% i believe, the same as domestic heating oil..

get caught with red in yer tank and you may as well say goodbye to your motorhome and your wallet.

you cannot remove the dye and it lingers for a very long time so filling with regular diesel again will still show a red dye.

Not that we use it but I saw a program a few weeks ago that says to use bread to filter diesel to take the dye out,take a lot of bread though to sieve a few litres of diesel... dont shoot the messenger I just saw it on tv???

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Not that we use it but I saw a program a few weeks ago that says to use bread to filter diesel to take the dye out,take a lot of bread though to sieve a few litres of diesel... dont shoot the messenger I just saw it on tv???

It can be removed if you know how - I did see a program where they raided a workshop in the midlands that were doing just that. There were huge containers of 'white' diesel that had been treated and barrel upon barrel of red waiting.

What they had been adding/doing to process it they didn't say - for obvious reasons! Though I would imagine the average chemistry teacher could tell you.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
Biodiesl

I run my 1999 P38 Range Rover DHSE on straight home made bio also ran my landrover discovery on it with no problem. As someone has said in a previous post I always carry a spare fuel filter in case of gelling. I add Bioboost to give a bit more power and Wynns Fuel Biocide to prevent diesel bug. I will also be running my motorhome on biodiesel when I get it.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There are a lot of misconceptions regarding bio diesel. The main one is that bio diesel is NOT filtered cooking oil. Properly made bio fuel will run in almost any diesel engine. Its who makes it that matters. Quality is the word with bio. The likes of McDonalds and many bus companies would not risk breakdowns with sub standard bio. If its made correctly its OK in ANY vehicle 100%, the problem is that Joe Public thinks he can nip round to the nearest chippy and tip the contents of the fryer into his tank after sieving through a pair of his wife's tights. Have a look at "Journey to Forever" if you want the real lowdown and stop listening to people that have tried straight veg with disastrous results. I have a VW golf with well over 150000 miles on the clock that has never had diesel in it from new. Theres more conflicting reports on bio diesel than Aframes and gassing put together. Do your homework properly and then you will know the TRUE facts.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
There are a lot of misconceptions regarding bio diesel. The main one is that bio diesel is NOT filtered cooking oil. Properly made bio fuel will run in almost any diesel engine. Its who makes it that matters. Quality is the word with bio. The likes of McDonalds and many bus companies would not risk breakdowns with sub standard bio. If its made correctly its OK in ANY vehicle 100%, the problem is that Joe Public thinks he can nip round to the nearest chippy and tip the contents of the fryer into his tank after sieving through a pair of his wife's tights. Have a look at "Journey to Forever" if you want the real lowdown and stop listening to people that have tried straight veg with disastrous results. I have a VW golf with well over 150000 miles on the clock that has never had diesel in it from new. Theres more conflicting reports on bio diesel than Aframes and gassing put together. Do your homework properly and then you will know the TRUE facts.

This is absolutely correct.
I have been making biodiesel for about 5 years and not had any problems. I attended a course before I started at the low impact living institute in Buckinghamshire mainly to get the lowdown on the personal safety angle, methanol and caustic are dangerous chemicals!.
These days the biggest problem is getting hold of the waste oil with sourcing the chemicals a close second.
A good resource for bio fuels is here
If anyone near me in Weymouth, Dorset would like to see the process or just have a chat send me a pm.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back