LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, has anybody got a new Fiat Ducato base vehicle with the on board satnav built in? How good is it, what software is it based on? The literature states it covers Western Europe. Does it allow you to input vehicle size I.e height, weight etc... Like the snooper? Any info would be appreciated, picking up a new van soon and just curious what level of satnav it is coming with.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
We have the new van, there is like you say a docking station for a Tom Tom a one fit model of the Tom Tom the dealer said they were expensive I just use my Snooper, the only prob with that is you have to take the fitting bracket off the screen to use the blinds, but that's not the biggest job, has for input on the sat nav I can't help I had only just bought the Snooper so I will use that. Pete

OP
OP
Southampton

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Pete, I have ordered the 'media pack' and the dealer tells me that it comes with integrated satnav. I am expecting something similar to what you get on cars, built into the console. Maybe I have misunderstood, I will just have to wait and see.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Fiat based Hymer with built in Pioneer system, the mapping is provided by Navteq who I believe provide the mapping for Tom Tom.

We have found it to be very good compared to Jaguar/Landrover systems.

It will not allow the input of vehicle dimensions but has provision for alerting for any restrictions however, it did try to direct us down a road with a 6'6 width restriction without alerting us to the fact!

Over all, we are very pleased with it but, we have never used Garmin or Tom Tom.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Thanks Pete, I have ordered the 'media pack' and the dealer tells me that it comes with integrated satnav. I am expecting something similar to what you get on cars, built into the console. Maybe I have misunderstood, I will just have to wait and see.

May be but mine I got in September has a docking station, my van is a Bessaccar E480 ,media pack on an other brand may be different but I can't see it , what have you treated yourself to. Pete

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Is it not a fact that you cannot input your personalised POIs into an inbuilt satnav?

Steve

wilfredes

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
United States
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2009
I also have the same problem, thank you guys.
ukk.jpg

kkul.jpg

OP
OP
Southampton

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
May be but mine I got in September has a docking station, my van is a Bessaccar E480 ,media pack on an other brand may be different but I can't see it , what have you treated yourself to. Pete

I have splashed out for a new Autotrail Commanche, collect it next week. Took my Lunar to them yesterday so they can transfer the sat dish. Will be doing a couple of long weekends first to iron out any bugs and then hope to get down to Spain/Portugal late February for a couple of months....Derek

OP
OP
Southampton

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Is it not a fact that you cannot input your personalised POIs into an inbuilt satnav?

Steve

I guess you are right. So it would be out of date after a year or so. Maybe not such a good idea after all. With cars you can get annual updates, but they cost an arm and a leg. Best keep my Tom Tom.....Derek

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have splashed out for a new Autotrail Commanche, collect it next week. Took my Lunar to them yesterday so they can transfer the sat dish. Will be doing a couple of long weekends first to iron out any bugs and then hope to get down to Spain/Portugal late February for a couple of months....Derek

We have a new Autotrail Scout on order and have gone for the media pack.

Not sure what the sat nav system is though. I have seen a 2012 version and that was incorporated into the dashboard if i remember rightly. Didnt see it working though.

OP
OP
Southampton

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We have a new Autotrail Scout on order and have gone for the media pack.

Not sure what the sat nav system is though. I have seen a 2012 version and that was incorporated into the dashboard if i remember rightly. Didnt see it working though.

Chris, I was the same, saw it incorporated in dash but not working. I pick mine up on Tuesday so will check it out and let you know.....Derek

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
The pioneer system was described as the media pack on our Hymer, I am sure that I can input POI's and having purchased the first up date, I get free up dates from now on, the unit is built into the dash and does sat nav, rear camera, telephone, music and plays DVD's

see here:Link Removed

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
If it breaks it will be far more costly to replace,stick to individual units were the option is available and save the expence. The novelty is not worth it.

It will also be out of date before its out of warranty.

regards
Steve:thumb:

OP
OP
Southampton

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
If it breaks it will be far more costly to replace,stick to individual units were the option is available and save the expence. The novelty is not worth it.

It will also be out of date before its out of warranty.

regards
Steve:thumb:

Very true, fully aware of that, but the media pack included other items that I wanted. anyway, it will be fun for a time!!....Derek

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Sounds nice van , hope everything's ok, and you get away, we are in Spain Jan to July next year so I hope mine behaves its self, ok up to now enjoy. Pete

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Autotrail Sat Nav

We bought a Autotrail tracker new in the spring and the Sat Nav in ours is based on the IGO8.

Not a great system, it fails at everything to some degree. Some are difficult to live with.

It's broken once already and the chip that holds the information has had to be replaced.

There are not enough options for route planning so you cannot put in the best route for a motorhome.

The destination inputting is tedious and takes a lot of time.

In Switzerland it often could not find a satellite to talk to we almost exclusively used a map.

Lets put it this way we have already decided that our christmas present to is going to be a snooper. :thumb::thumb:

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
Newbies to motorhoming - purchasedJune 2017
Our Swift van is only a few weeks old. The salesman told us we could input our vehicles size - we can't ! We have done the free update within 90 days & it still puts us in a field on the M25 ! In Paris we spent an hour & a half lost trying to get round a 2m height restriction. I have just phoned fiat as covered under fiat warranty to get it booked in to be looked at. We feel sat nav is useless & not fit for purpose & have had to shell out & buy a Garmin Avtex tourerone but now not sure where to put this. I couldn't carry on relying on fiat fitted sat nav as has been so stressful. Last weekend it dropped out & went on demo mode & we blindly followed that for 30 mins resulting in an additional hours driving including coming back so the amount of fuel it has wasted for us is ridiculous. I am not sure if we can try & get some compensation or demand a fitted sat nav that actually works. If anyone has any experience of similar in a brand new motorhome please message us.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry guys but our swift Ducato is the same . No dimensions possible. The dealer upgraded the maps but they are years out of date. In Spain we are frequently showing " in a field " on roads that are 5 or 6 years old

Dec 23, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Atoutrial tracker
Exp
Since 2004
New autotrial tracker all the same pbrolems as previous not fit for purpose absolutely useless in france down the tiny roads even on a farm track buy your self a snooper?

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Must echo the negative comments of others. Our 2015 Autotrail with U Connect running Tom Tom sat nav is useless for almost everything and we found the 90 day cover for an update starts when the system is installed. AVOID.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I only use ours as a backup. I leave it on but not navigating to a destination. It usually is good at showing the road number currently travelling.
I use a Garmin sitting on the dashboard above for the live navigation instructions. I have a great weighted, non-slip, base that it sits on.

macscrooge

Free Member
Oct 16, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2015
Wee have a '17 Benimar Mileo with the built in Fiat-branded satnav. I believe it runs Tom-Tom software. It's not possible to input vehicle size but I knew that before we ordered. Initially I was sceptical about this satnav and used my 2013 Garmin unit alongside but I have to say the built-in unit has been very impressive during trips to France, Belgium and Netherlands. I've not used the van much in the UK as yet though.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Unfortunately got one of these before looking on forum, two updates later by fiat professional still looses us on m4,m5,m25, m anyroad
Anyone got a refund from fiat/dealer as clearly not up to the job?

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
Newbies to motorhoming - purchasedJune 2017
We are in exactly the same boat and have had the same done 2 updates and seen by fiat then receiver changed by dealer still same so next step is whole unit changed. We are looking at what to do next as also have dropdown bed issues and between Swift and fiat getting nowhere our mh is back in the Swift factory but now another fiat recall has come out just to complicate things. Under consumer law it's the dealer you go to. Which dealer is your MH from ? Happy to pm re this issue and resolution.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Hi rvfun,
Wondering if even if worked ok is it worth having wish I’d not added it to spec in first place but hey.....
Wonder if anyone has this unit and it’s working fine? I’m looking at changing the head unit for a pioneer that shows current speed and limit for my van ie taking weight into account as over 3.5
Currently using old Tom Tom that displays current speed but using car limits - still better than built in Tom Tom that doesn’t!! Plus fiat speedo so hard to read
Very frustrating

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Hi rvfun,
Wondering if even if worked ok is it worth having wish I’d not added it to spec in first place but hey.....
Wonder if anyone has this unit and it’s working fine? I’m looking at changing the head unit for a pioneer that shows current speed and limit for my van ie taking weight into account as over 3.5
Currently using old Tom Tom that displays current speed but using car limits - still better than built in Tom Tom that doesn’t!! Plus fiat speedo so hard to read
Very frustrating
I bought an Avtex 795 based on a garman , I can add motorhome dimensions, weight etc.I also bought a tall fixing so I could put it in the dash box, as the box is dimpled the sticky disc supplied won't adhere I need a hard plastic glue or like mastic ,any suggestions ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back