LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2010
TONYPANDY Rhondda Wales
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker LB
Exp
Since 2009
Hi everybody hope you are all well, I've have a CI Motorhome(2004) when we are traveling there is a high bleeping sound coming from the step switch. The only way I can stop the bleeping is to take the fuse out . When we are parked up and the steps are down the steps tend too go back in a little way after a short while and you have to press the switch too put the steps back out. thanks Robert ( PS The beeping is driving the wife mad ). :Sad: :Sad:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
sounds like dirty switches or a seizing mechanism
some steps are wired to retract automatically when the ignition is switched on.
there will no doubt be switches on the step that control the step alarm and stop it when in and out these could be faulty or dirty.
if the mechanism is seizing there will be a resistance which could be causing the step to creep back in and out when in causing the alarm to go off.

a clean and lubricate could work wonders.

OP
OP
RobGriff

RobGriff

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2010
TONYPANDY Rhondda Wales
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker LB
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Andy will give the steps a good service and check the switch and give it a clean. Robert

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
( PS The beeping is driving the wife mad ). :Sad: :Sad:

Tell her she now knows what it's like to be a man !

Steps - they keep cropping up, it looks like they are a £1000 problem but they are prepared to spend only £100 on them. Result, pain in the bum for the owners.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian thanks for the information will give the steps a good service on the week end

Good move. They get covered in crap and get no service. They fail. The surprise is they don't fail sooner.

If you search on TEETH you'll find a thread where one of our proper job engineers here built up new teeth by welding to rescue a step. That impressed me.

The first thing I'd do is remove any micro switches and replace with proximity sensors but that's £1 against £25 but they would be good for life. Motors and gears, junk those and replace with hydraulics. There's your £1000 gone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Hi everybody hope you are all well, I've have a CI Motorhome(2004) when we are traveling there is a high bleeping sound coming from the step switch. The only way I can stop the bleeping is to take the fuse out . When we are parked up and the steps are down the steps tend too go back in a little way after a short while and you have to press the switch too put the steps back out. thanks Robert ( PS The beeping is driving the wife mad ). :Sad: :Sad:

Give the runners a good hosing before you get it checked
all the muck builds up stops them retracting fully
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If your steps are the same make as ours, the darned switch mounting point is set back too far ( by about 2 mm ! )

From new, they had put a bit of rubber on the tang that stuck out to activate the switch.
As time went by the rubber bit slowly compressed

I have replaced it but can see a time in the future when it will cause grief again

next time it need doing I am going to drill the tab and tap the hole so I can put a screw in it and adjust as needed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back