LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Reading all the good reports I decided to get a Playbook yesterday.

Got it set up and downloaded the OS update OK but I'm now stuck on downloading the Desktop Software. Using the web address given in the device I get stupid download times of over a day. When I try to connect to the UK Blackberry server it just sits there. Does anyone know if Blackberry servers are experiencing problems?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Reading all the good reports I decided to get a Playbook yesterday.

Got it set up and downloaded the OS update OK but I'm now stuck on downloading the Desktop Software. Using the web address given in the device I get stupid download times of over a day. When I try to connect to the UK Blackberry server it just sits there. Does anyone know if Blackberry servers are experiencing problems?

Just checked Graham , for a test I downloaded a 12mb app from BB appworld in a few seconds, I'm on a slow DSL broadband

nothing mentioned in Crackberry ..

I'm guessing, is this a third party app.. have you got a link I can try ?

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks Jim. It's my connection by the looks of it. I had trouble getting onto the BBC News page as well in the last few minutes. Probably pathetic Virgin Media.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just spent an hour on the phone with Virgin. It was a router problem which they said they would replace.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
The connecting charging/pc/earphones leads that come with a HTC smart phone also fit a Playbook .
My 3 year old son uses it most days and finds it easy, so most people should manage it :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
not found any compatibility issues, that's not to say there aren't any, just none that I've come across..

yes, there are limitations, don't all tablets ? The one that bugs me is not being able to connect to a camera or other usb storage device except via a laptop.

we now have 3 playbooks, windoz laptops x 3 and one elderly Mac iBook .. all on the home netwotk .. and able print to a Kodak wifi printer .. docs, images, videos,music all can be played and shared ..

The PB is great when connected to a big screen TV via HDMI .. we play games, (Need for speed is good on a big screen) watch videos,movies, and picture slideshows..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
which are ?

Just that the world runs windows, iPad and Android, there must be many apps you might like that are not available or need better than average expertise to deploy on your platform.

If your needs are simple then it's a real bargain because it's not a £129 device it's more like £400 being dumped because the mainstream has settled on £200 max price for small tablets and it would not sell at the original price.

Will it run NavFree ? That alone could justify it's purchase.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just that the world runs windows, iPad and Android, there must be many apps you might like that are not available or need better than average expertise to deploy on your platform.

If your needs are simple then it's a real bargain because it's not a £129 device it's more like £400 being dumped because the mainstream has settled on £200 max price for small tablets and it would not sell at the original price.

Will it run NavFree ? That alone could justify it's purchase.

Personally I have all the apps I need.. as does Jan , but you are correct, at present it has only a fraction of the android market.. but the library is being added to almost daily by enthusiasts converting the android apps.. many are now approved by BB and on the App World list.

Do you want or need the choice of 300,000+ apps? If yes then buy android..

NavFree .. not that I'm aware of.. but there is other mapping software .. Navigator, Magellan Compass, Maverick .. and few more I'v not looked at ..

to be honest I wasn't impressed with it as a sat nav when I used Magellan Compass, it went of course a few times and took ages to 'lock on' again... probably due to a poor signal in the car passenger seat ..

Personally I prefer a dedicated device for Sat Nav. Swiss Army knife solutions are seldom great.

But I will try Navfree on Chaz's phone..

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think I will have few compatibility problems as I will probably use the different devices for different things. Browsing will probably be the one most common to all. Having used Symbian devices for some years (Psion 7 and Nokia phones) I am used to the odd difference or three.

At least now I've sorted out my broadband speed problem I shouldn't have any trouble downloading apps ::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Do you want or need the choice of 300,000+ apps? If yes then buy android..

Ah, you need only 1 app that does not run on your platform and it all goes pear shaped.

NavFree .. not that I'm aware of

Personally I prefer a dedicated device for Sat Nav.

A satnav is just a tablet running one app. I think most of them run Linux because it's free and Android is Linux based for just that reason. Hence my comment that if your tablet runs a good navigator it's a bargain with the bonus you can use for the majority of the time when you are not driving.

Replies in the quote.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Replies in the quote.

Ah, you need only 1 app that does not run on your platform and it all goes pear shaped.

yeah.. that's true ... but do android tablets/phones run BB Messaging ?

nope.. so no good for organising riots :winky:

btw

I loaded Navfree onto daughters Samsung phone.. she wasn't well pleased as it ran out of storage space.. so being a good dad deleted all her useless android games ... and installed Navfree .. chuffed she is not.. :roflmto:

looks like a good app, all mapping free .. didn't know that .. will test drive tomorrow ..:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back