LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
My provider is aol, and like them or not I’ve been with them forever, so I should be treated as good customer, last night our connection went, we had a normally green “i” light flashing orange, and connection was poor then we lost it altogether, this morning it still would not sync, so I unplugged every thing, powered down it all, unplugged all the computer/printer net work cables, powered up, plugged back in, it worked for a while. Router is a netgear DG843g v3 all connections are ahrd wired not wireless

I rung AOL support ( don’t go there) I had to ring back on my mobile so they could check the line, not too sure on what was said but an engineer is coming to put it right tomorrow at £50 cost, I was not happy at this charge to re confit the router. It was done less than six months ago and all the engineer did was to config the router to “change the parameters” (his words) I think should be done remotely from wherever the support comes from at that end (or am I wrong about that)

What questions should I be asking from tomorrows visit to make sure this don’t happen again or if it does to mend it myself.

I’m considering a provider change I am out of contract so problem there, but need it for work commitments at present so cant change till the time is right from that aspect.

If I don’t reply to any repiles its because it gone down again.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Either reset the router (should be a reset button on the back) or reconfigure yourself. Take the router make/number and have a look onlone for instructions.

Failing that, reset the whole connection by adding a new one, and setting that as default if it works

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
if your with aol

your secretly with talk talk

aol was good in my opinion when it was aol

when TT aquired the franchise/ownership

i jumped ship went to plusnet(a BT company)

then sky (wouldnt do the same deal as BT)

i am know on 40meg (fttc) bt fibre as we had poor bb 0.5 on a good day

£18;00 a month+1 off payment gives line rental at £10;45 a month equivalent +calls
they also do a telly box
the fibre has a filter in the bt socket and a fibre decoder box then the bt router
same kit fitted by openreach for all fibre bb except cable

each time i changed supplier it was only a days inconvenience

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
I had been with AOL for many years, and just lost patience in the end with their abysmal customer support. Even when you got through to them it was frequently very difficult to understand them, and for them to understand you!
They used to be one of the best, but I became very disappointed with them.
I changed to (Yorkshire-based :winky:) Plus Net, 100% UK call centres and they have been first class.... would recommend them to anyone ....from £6.49 a month!!

http://www.plus.net/packages/?WT.mc_id=sem_006d

Last edited:

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I had AOL years ago and they tried to charge me £900 for someone hacking into my account from Europe.
Had BT for years, cannot give me Infinity even although my exchange has it.
:cry::cry:Just moved to Sky for phone and Broadband. Broadband is ok phone side is slow. Have Talktalk in the Club I go to, modem is useless with next to no coverage, and customer service is basically a joke, I eventually got through to IT helpdesk only to find out I knew more about computers than their expert.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Have a look here

Under default settings it gives you the IP address to login to the router. If you haven't changed the logon name or password they will be the same as the wiki provided ones. Put the IP address in your browser and off you go.

Ask AOL what has to change to get you back in business again.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I had been with AOL for many years, and just lost patience in the end with their abysmal customer support. Even when you got through to them it was frequently very difficult to understand them, and for them to understand you!
They used to be one of the best, but I became very disappointed with them.
I changed to (Yorkshire-based :winky:) Plus Net, 100% UK call centres and they have been first class.... would recommend them to anyone ....from £6.49 a month!!

http://www.plus.net/packages/?WT.mc_id=sem_006d

I think plus net are very much in the running:thumb:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Have a look here

Under default settings it gives you the IP address to login to the router. If you haven't changed the logon name or password they will be the same as the wiki provided ones. Put the IP address in your browser and off you go.

Ask AOL what has to change to get you back in business again.

did try that but there was a launguge barrier:Doh:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
as you can see by the fact Im back on its working? I dont know why, it wasnt a hour ago, just unpluged and repluged again and its working?

but why I done nothing that I had not done a dozens times today?

a big stick comes to mind, but thats for AOL support not the modem

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Think if you do jump ship

There is a 2-3 week cooling off period

With all the suppliers

Some you don't need a mac code for

I did check late on today, it seems Im out of contract so I can go any time, I wonder if thats why its working again, or is that me just being synical:whatthe:

Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I did check late on today, it seems Im out of contract so I can go any time, I wonder if thats why its working again, or is that me just being synical:whatthe:

I don't think your being synical that nice man in India

Just gave you a bit more band width

The cooling off is for your new provider

Seems even if your really keen to join a new provider

There is a built in wait of about 3weeks

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I don't think your being synical that nice man in India

Just gave you a bit more band width

The cooling off is for your new provider

Seems even if your really keen to join a new provider

There is a built in wait of about 3weeks

Just had the engineer on the phone confirming the time of visit, I told him its been working ok since 6:15 ok, and previously when I got a voice call it disconnected, which its not doing now, he cancelled the service call saying "no point coming" its working and sorted itself out. He wasn’t surprised nor was I,

can they boost the band width from India?

Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Just had the engineer on the phone confirming the time of visit, I told him its been working ok since 6:15 ok, and previously when I got a voice call it disconnected, which its not doing now, he cancelled the service call saying "no point coming" its working and sorted itself out. He wasn’t surprised nor was I,

can they boost the band width from India?

That's why I left aol after talk talk became master
when it's busy you seem to be throttled right back

Mainly when America starts to wake up

Just my thoughts though nothing definite

Clever them Indian chaps

I think most ISP can fiddle with the speeds

:Blush::Blush::Blush:

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
lol it happens with all isp's i used to have the same with virgin you call them and its never thier fault but after the call lo and behold it works again i have been with talk talk now for around 2 years and have had no problems at all i tried sky but i wouldn't touch them with a bargepole you may be able to save all you router settings then if it goes down again reset it to the settings you have saved i also used a linksys router which i have had for years and it is spot on and any probs they normally deal with it asap

camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
good job you cancelled

I'm glad you cancelled the visit.
There is absolutely no way they can charge you 50 quid to send someone round .They are the "providers".You have fulfilled your side of the contract by paying the bill each month.They have to ensure you get the service you're paying for not charge you extra if it doesn't work.
It sounds to me like there was an outage and you had no service and when it was sorted out you got your aol back.
I was with aol for year and the service was excellent at times and completely useless at others.They sent me about 6 new routers over a three year period and each one was beset with the same problems.Finally I moved to virgin who can also be excellent and useless by turns.However, they do not ask for an engineer fee as long as you check what they ask you to check.
Generally the service is good showing excellent download speeds.I was very surprised though when an engineer told me recently that the speed of the connection( unless you're talking about dial-up) doesn't really affect how quickly pages load- it's only important for large downloads.As bbc iplayer (as an example) only requires 1mb speed i wonder why I've got 30mb which is supposed to upgrade to 60 free of charge soon?
And while I'm here can anyone tell me why the strength of other connections on my street coming into my house from outside should show a better connection than mine inside the house- you know like 3 bars from a house 5 doors away compared to one from my own?

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I think AOL is brilliant:thumb:

BUT..............

I am on Virgin broadband supposed to be 60 meg but on speed test I get anythink between 15 & 40, I have a real good deal on virgin but I wanted to keep my AOL address having had it for over 20 years so my deal includes £2 per month for AOL, I did have a problem with my router which I had been using for 4- 5 years so Virgin came out and replaced it free of charge and upgraded my package free.

camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
why pay

I think AOL is brilliant:thumb:

BUT..............

I am on Virgin broadband supposed to be 60 meg but on speed test I get anythink between 15 & 40, I have a real good deal on virgin but I wanted to keep my AOL address having had it for over 20 years [HI]so my deal includes £2 per month for AOL[/HI], I did have a problem with my router which I had been using for 4- 5 years so Virgin came out and replaced it free of charge and upgraded my package free.
Why do you pay ..I use aol mail and don't pay anything?-I'm on Virgin like you

Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Why do you pay ..I use aol mail and don't pay anything?-I'm on Virgin like you

snap i also have an aol mail address same as
senior missmanegement and junior missmanagement
no 1 son and mrs son

and a some of my friends

all on free aol email including use of homepage

and my isp is BT

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
looks like your on the way to resolving this bit FYI to access the adsl router its gateway address is more than likely to be 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1 put one of those into yor browser, username/password is commonly admin/admin which should be changed asap as every hacker would use that first if not look under your box it, s possibly there a sky box password is well known also, i change my wireless id so its not shown wirelessly what type of box it is. to get yoir gateway address if the above dont work go into a command prompt , start- run type in cmd type in ipconfig shows ip adress submet mask and gateway address

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back