55 today! What can I do now? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
So then, I've just reached an age that only my parents and my friends parents ever had a right to be :Eeek:

I've discovered that I can:

Travel anywhere in Scotland for £19 return on ScotRail

Draw my private pension if I wish

Get insurance and stuff from Saga

What else? :whatthe:

::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I had the same dilemma in 2000 when I was 50. I know what I did and have not once regretted it. You don't need anywhere near as much as you think you do. If the finances are in place, cut and run.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You can officially moan about how tough it was in your day, how coppers clipped you round the ear while you stood to attention and how much you could buy with a ten bob note, things like that::bigsmile:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
You can officially moan about how tough it was in your day, how coppers clipped you round the ear while you stood to attention and how much you could buy with a ten bob note, things like that::bigsmile:

Hold up a minute Jim, I've already been doing that for a few years now:winky:

Ahh..........."officially moan"............Nice:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Bye the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY :thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
So then, I've just reached an age that only my parents and my friends parents ever had a right to be :Eeek:

I was 56 a few days ago--- I never realized i was entitled to all that for years!
Is there much i can gain from joining Saga?

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I was 56 a few days ago--- I never realized i was entitled to all that for years!
Is there much i can gain from joining Saga?

Err..............a truck load of junkmail trying to sell you insurance and stuff :cry:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would make a suggestion, but it is too long ago to remember !! :Eeek: :ROFLMAO:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Happy birthday, when I was 50 I started to withdraw my private pension, not much else really, I did decide to semi retire. Now not enough hours in the day...

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I retired two years ago at the age of 56 and as half english with an english wife but living in Scotland share a similar circumstance.We have spent a lot of time away in the van and put our house on the market in spring but nothings going fast! It seems to us that you spend the first two thirds of your life acquiring stuff and the last third trying to divest yourself of all that you have acquired! As they say in 'The cube' SIMPLIFY
Happy Birthday and happy travels.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Happy birthday, when I was 50 I started to withdraw my private pension, not much else really, I did decide to semi retire. Now not enough hours in the day...

What is there to do when you retire-- I work all week and at weekends i sleep a lot:ROFLMAO:
Do you retired guys sleep all week?:ROFLMAO:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

avoid the [STRIKE]maily dale[/STRIKE] daily mail

it makes you go all shiffty

your blood pressure goes up

and jj takes you off his chrimble card list

oh have a nice day and

many happily returns

next up is winter fuel allowance :Blush:

dont worry saga will find you :Eeek:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I LOVE my work however there are so many adventures to be had I will have to stop working so that I can start on them.

So many things to do, so little time...........:whatthe:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
you can look forward to getting older, more rickety with more aches and pains ..

a good day is when you awake..

a better day is when you awake and don't have any aches..

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
[QUOTE=tofo;

dont worry saga will find you :Eeek:

I`m 6 years past 50 now ,ha ha , they have not found me yet .

If they do catch up with me, do i have to change my fashion sense and buy grey and biege clothes?:Eeek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I LOVE my work however there are so many adventures to be had I will have to stop working so that I can start on them.
So many things to do, so little time...........:whatthe:

Gets my vote, though just how many adventures a man can take is a bit debatable. If you can afford to do it at 55 go for it big time.

Well this is MotorhomeFun, so what's the first one ? There's a generous offer on the cards in January, go follow Snowbird to Morocco. It's not adventure as in climb Everest but a lovely experience without pushing the envelope.

Then return via Moscow.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Remember that in 15 short years you will be 70.:cry:Your retirement will have passed you by.:cry: Dont spend the next ten years planning and looking forward to retirement it will come and go.:cry: Enjoy now while you still have the desire to have fun.:man_in_love:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Remember that in 15 short years you will be 70.:cry:Your retirement will have passed you by.:cry: Dont spend the next ten years planning and looking forward to retirement it will come and go.:cry: Enjoy now while you still have the desire to have fun.:man_in_love:

Precisely Buttons :thumb:

My kids say 'sleep when you're dead'............I think the sentiment is much the same only a little different...........'retire while you are young enough to enjoy it!' ::bigsmile:

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Your just a baby yet --stop wishing your life away and enjoy --clubs and discos --Spain and have fun fun fun :thumb:

Seriously you will wake up soon enough and be 70 and wonder why you wasted so many years.
The shock we had was, when we down sized on retirement, and got rid of so much stuff we had bought over the years. We realised how much money we had wasted on things we thought we needed!!! We could have retired years ago if we had saved the money instead. :cry:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Precisely Buttons :thumb:

My kids say 'sleep when you're dead'............I think the sentiment is much the same only a little different...........'retire while you are young enough to enjoy it!' ::bigsmile:
Horses for courses---------
i was semi retired at about 45 (middle aged crisis) -- it was fun for a while, it led to me getting bored if i was not at work, after a few years.
I had all the toys to play with :thumb:

I found most people my age at the time were in work and i found myself the odd one out surrunded by pensioners or teenagers.
I`m back into work again now with vengence and making up for wasted time and it`s great.
I`m going to hate it when they put me out to grass.

The best way to go is work hard and keep myself busy, the saying is true for me--The devil finds work for idle hands :Eeek:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Horses for courses---------
i was semi retired at about 45 (middle aged crisis) -- it was fun for a while, it led to me getting bored if i was not at work, after a few years.
I had all the toys to play with :thumb:

I found most people my age at the time were in work and i found myself the odd one out surrunded by pensioners or teenagers.
I`m back into work again now with vengence and making up for wasted time and it`s great.
I`m going to hate it when they put me out to grass.

The best way to go is work hard and keep myself busy, the saying is true for me--The devil finds work for idle hands :Eeek:

It's funny you should say that. In 2004 my wife and I stopped work, sold the house, gave the cat away (kidz already left home), bought a sailing yacht and set sail on new adventures:Eeek: We sailed everywhere between the Hebrides and Gibralta and had a fantastic time.

We sailed full time until early 2007 when we stopped sailing and returned to the 'real world'.

Amongst the reasons for returning:

Missing our (grown up) children
Me missing my job (pilot)
Missing having a 'fixed abode'
Fed up with always looking for a safe anchorage
Fed up with 'surviving' the high seas.
Never quite having enough money.

One thing we never tired of though was the sense of adventure::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Now nearly six years later we are hungry for more adventures, eager to see new countries.

However this time we are financially stronger, the kidz are older, we own another house and we are more secure in our own minds. I have enjoyed my flying, my wife has completed two degrees........................................but...........we are OLDER:Eeek:

Time to have more adventures! but that requires more time:Doh:

Work just gets in the way.........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back