Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Hey ho

There's been a few threads about refillable gas conversions, and I quite fancy this as my next DIY project, but I'm a bit confused about exactly what bits I need!

Given what's already been posted elsewhere, I'm pretty much decided on a single 11kg Alugas installation, with the filler in my compartment door, and a remote LED indicator indoors. But I'm confused about what the different fittings are, which filler type I need, what regulator etc.

Currently I have a 6kg propane cylinder, with the regulator just of the end of a rubber hose.

Have emailed Autogas2000 for advice, but none has been forthcoming as yet, so I wondered if any Funsters could assist?

Cheers

Jamie.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Jamie, not an expert on this but like you have read up a bit about it as i am still considering it.

only observation i have is that they do not recommend placing the filler point in the door... apparentley it can result in the pipe kinking or getting damaged. so it should either be on a braket inside the locker or in the side skirt of the van preferably the lower the better.

Also i believe you can retain your existing regulator, not seen the LED indicator system...:thumb:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we had our initial Alugas cylinder fitted (by Dave Newell) we had a hose end regulator as pictured. Alugas do an adapter to fit the regulator to the bottle. The filling adapter is completely separate.

When we had the second bottle fitted (by Autogas 2000) we also had a wall mounted regulator installed with set up so that we can automatically use both bottles as required.

Autogas 2000 will know exactly what you need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Regulator2.jpg
    Regulator2.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Jamie, not an expert on this but like you have read up a bit about it as i am still considering it.

You read well, spot on with your comments. It really is very simple for a single tank, a bit more work for a pair. We have a single 11kg and it works a treat. We can do a whole summer holiday on that or a week in Scotland in the winter.

Only dark side so far Spain. LPG filling pumps are thin on the ground there. France may be a bit iffy if the attendant refuses to turn on the pump, this is where an external filler is best. I started with an internal filler, keeps it clean and tidy, but moved it outside later.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Try Link Removed. These appear to be very good prices. They are out of stock at the moment but suggest they should have the new cylinders by the end of the month.

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the best position for the filler is fixed in the van wall or lower valance as there can be problems at stations with filling if you have to open the gas locker door mainly due to those filler adapters that can got off fleabay for filling calor bottles.

Upvote 0

yorkinmadoc

Free Member
Oct 13, 2012
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
profile compact
Exp
Just for info,

if you are intending to fill lpg in France, it is illegal unless the filler is fitted to the outside of the vehicle in permanent manner! ie never fitted to a hatch or behind any sort of cover!

It is for your safety that the powers that be have specified this, as I am told that any loss from the filler will disipate into the atmosphere and not into your precious motorhome.

I am considering changing to lpg due to the problems of different cylinders and will follow this thread with interest.

John:thumb:

Upvote 0

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Just for info,

if you are intending to fill lpg in France, it is illegal unless the filler is fitted to the outside of the vehicle in permanent manner! ie never fitted to a hatch or behind any sort of cover!

It is for your safety that the powers that be have specified this, as I am told that any loss from the filler will disipate into the atmosphere and not into your precious motorhome.

I am considering changing to lpg due to the problems of different cylinders and will follow this thread with interest.

John:thumb:

Would be helpful if you could provide an official point of reference for the
afore mentioned ruling. hear say in these important matters is insufficient

Oh and just to clarify my gas bottle locker, as all should be, is designed in such a way it is open at the bottom to prevent such a gas build up that you suggest,as both gas and lpg are heavier than air they will always be dispelled from a correctly designed gas compartment.

Regards
Steve :thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Dave Newall supplied and fitted the exact system you describe ie 1 x 13kg Alugas Cylinder. He does supply kits and parts for DIY and you'll get a Funsters discount.

http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

I'm well pleased with mine so easy and convenient to fill. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have Alugas with the remote LED guage (two in fact, one for each bottle) they are OK but tend to read as full till half empty and then start going down.
I would not recommend fitting the filler in the door as the pipe to it is thick and not very flexible, so a possibility of damage opening and closing the door.
Best is to put it through the van wall as then it is nice and strong, skirt panel OK but may need strengthening as the gas nozzles are heavy when filling.
I don't know whether the French restriction on filling where you have to open the locker is actually law or just a guideline, but with an external filler no problem. The pumps have some wording about your vehicle having to be registered as LPG/dual fuel but in practice this only applies to French vehicles, so as long as it looks like you might run on LPG you will be OK.
As a precaution I never fill up with diesel at the same station as LPG, as thats a bit of a giveaway that you're not using it for road fuel.

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
When I was researching prior to having mine fitted I did read several posts to the effect that fitting the filler on an opening locker door is a no no as it can cause premature hose failures and can stress other components. (ie if you open the locker to check anything on closure has the flexi hose stowed correctly and is not fouling anything that could cause chaffing?

Just a thought. :Eeek:

Upvote 0

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I have an 11kg Gaslow bottle (full) for sale and all the system bits and bobs to go with it if anyone is interested PM me

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'd advise the use of all stainless steel gas pipes as opposed to rubber, as this prevents gooey deposits building up in your system.

My only gripe with Gaslow is the fiddly little plastic gauge that fits on the neck of the cylinder is rubbish - the needle jumps around all over the place. It told me my cylinder was nearly empty when it was still half full.

I think Gaslow themselves are running that story about French filling stations needing side-mounted filling caps rather than locker-mounted.

Upvote 0

Nomadder

Free Member
Oct 29, 2012
Norfolk till feb
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato tio r
Exp
solo since Sep 2012
I have a gaslow refillable cylinder filler kit on mine this is a twin 11k gas bottle external filler with a changeover regulator I use about £16 to fill both and have an external filler just like if I had converted . I am full time in my van and when freestanding I use about £10 a week heating /hot water/cooking and fridge . I also have solar power and a generator but my heat and cooking are exclusively gas . Anyway Autogas is propane - so for pre-2004 vans you will need to change your regulator and fit one of the following :
propane manual changeover
propane autochangeover
propane electra
If you are already using propane you can convert your existing regulator a propane adapter and gauge ,If you have propane changeover , simply change high pressure hose.or newer vans fitted with a 30mbar caravan and using 7kg butane cylinders , simply remove the clip on adapter . If using propane change the high pressure hose(s) err I think :winky:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can you squeeze it down to 6 kg for me please Chris:winky:

If the price is right you could swap the large bottle with someone for the smaller one ... :thumb:

Upvote 0

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I fitted a "gas it" system very easy came as complete kit from their website also very helpful on the phone when I had questions about change over regulator etc.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Johno1

Free Member
May 10, 2010
North East England,
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
newbie, ex caravaner
filling the gas tank

Hi, just finnished fitting a Gas It 38ltr underslung tank using 8mm copper tube to existing on wall regulator and inside van level indicator, the Gas It web site is easy to use for both refillable systems and fast delivery, good prices too.
Next step is filling it I was hoping to note the ltrs as the level of liquid gas increases and the lights on the level gauge change so I will have some idea of the remaining gas while in use. Does anybody know if there is a lot of turbulance in the tank while filling and can you stop the pump for short periods to let things settle as level changes are indicated to try and get accurate readings. Hope this question is ok seeing as it to do with gas?
Cheers Phil,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Some very interesting responses on here. Many thanks all.

One thing - I had assumed that the in-door filler would involve cutting a hole in the door and fitting the filler there, rather than having the filler on the inside of the door and having to open the compartment to fillup.
(although that now makes sense of what the 90 degree filler bracket I see in the kit is for! :RollEyes:)

Is cutting a hole in the compartment door an option? Or is it better to put the filler in the body somewhere?

Had a very helpful email back from Wendy at Autogas with a list of bits. Looking forward to getting my plans sorted and ordering my kit!

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
as i mentiuoned on earlier post it is not recommeded to put the filler in the door, you cannot guarentee the integrity of the hose when you close the door, it could kind.

best on the bracket inside the door or in the side skirt below the van floor if possible.:thumb:

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
To add my 2p, I had Gaslow fitted and when I came to fill it up I had great problems as the filler was inside the gas storage cupboard and the installer had placed it too far back so the locking device would not easily work, this should have been picked up at the time. :Doh:
Eventually I took it to Venture Caravans who sorted it out..

My own opinion is that I don't play with gas, I leave it to the pro's, they have all the tools and experience to do the job..

ShiftZZ

Upvote 0

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Gas it

Just fitted ans ordinary 11kg bottle - single - which I got from Gas it. You have the link above.They are really helpful, explained what I had to do but put most of the fittings on before sending. They are not at all expensive and I am really pleased.
pm if you need anymore info
Don

Upvote 0

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Interesting thread this

I have an Autosleepers Sussex Duo that comes with a built in refillable gas tank

Would it be possable to fit an extra gas input point that could be used with a gas bottle in case the built in tank became empty and we were unbale to find an autogas filling station if we were in Spain

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
It's called a BBQ point.

You do need a regulator on the emergency bottle.

Hi Brian,, just checking my understanding on above.. if a gas bottle with regulator is fitted to a BBQ point and the main tanks are empty would the extrnal bottle not just fill the empty bottles untill they were equal pressure??

or depending on how its plumbed supply the internal appliances if the bottles were switched off?

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Interesting thread this

I have an Autosleepers Sussex Duo that comes with a built in refillable gas tank

Would it be possable to fit an extra gas input point that could be used with a gas bottle in case the built in tank became empty and we were unbale to find an autogas filling station if we were in Spain

It must be possible as I have a refillable under-slung LPG tank which has a 12volt internal switch and also a locker with 2X13 kg bottles. The gas locker with the bottles has its own separate regulators with gas taps to turn them off whilst using the LPG tank. The idea of this system is so that when leaving home I fill the bottles and switch them off. Then turn the LPG tank on and run on that until I reach the southernmost part of France that has LPG where I top up the LPG tank and run on that until its empty. Then back to the bottles. This system should last wilding for around 6 months at least :Cool:.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back