Motorhomes Cause Seafront Misery (1 Viewer)

News

NewsHound
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
EXMOUTH JOURNAL 28th February 2008

Motorhomes Cause Seafront Misery

VISITORS parking campervans overnight outside homes on Budleigh Salterton seafront are making neighbours' lives a misery.

Residents living along the prestige Marine Parade say they have had enough of being disturbed by campervan owners, who park up their large vans, start up noisy generators and set up temporary camp for the night.

Neighbours say 17 campervans have outstayed their welcome since the beginning of October last year - three braved the weather over Christmas and four vans set up temporary home last weekend.

The county council highways team told the Journal it was powerless to stop the campers because of the current parking regulations.

A Devon County Council spokesman said: "The parking on Marine Parade is not restricted between September 30 and May 1, so vehicles are perfectly entitled to park in the designated parking bays.

"If the concern is more of an environmental health issue over someone living in a camper van, then unfortunately that is not the responsibility of Devon County Council."

Nicola Daniel, of Marine Parade, said she and her neighbours were regularly disturbed by the noise and presence of the large vans.

"Satellite dishes are deployed, some have generators, waste water spills onto the road and our 'visitor' last Sunday put out his jacks to level his van," she said.

"The Caravan Club code specifically frowns on this type of camping. It is camping on the cheap and is an abuse of Budleigh Salterton hospitality.

"The frequency of visits makes me wonder if Budleigh Salterton seafront is on a web-site or list of best free 'stopovers'.

"Councillor Christine Channon is looking into this problem for us, but it appears this issue is not, surprisingly, covered by any bye-laws, despite the fact that overnight camping in the East Devon town car parks is banned for obvious reasons."

Budleigh Salterton mayor Councillor John Shiel urged Marine Parade residents to lodge their concerns with the town's ward members - Councillors Ray Franklin, Steve Hall and Malcolm Florey - who can lobby East Devon District Council to take action.

"It must be very upsetting for the people living along Marine Parade," said Cllr Shiel.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Dunno!

Fishermen?:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
EXMOUTH JOURNAL 28th February 2008

Motorhomes Cause Seafront Misery

VISITORS parking campervans overnight outside homes on Budleigh Salterton seafront are making neighbours' lives a misery.

Right, who fancies putting up a 'Budleigh Salterton seafront' meet then :winky::ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
"The frequency of visits makes me wonder if Budleigh Salterton seafront is on a web-site or list of best free 'stopovers'.

It was'nt,???? it is NOW!!!:ROFLMAO:

StAubyns

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Mansfield Woodhouse
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
There is an absolutely enormous sea front car at Buddleigh Salterton, away from the houses.

Why not let the MH's use this? There are no height barriers, and you can park for 24 hours, it just says no sleeping in vehicles.

It could be made into a stopover like Canterbury, but I suppose that is to sensible for the local council

Geoff

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi i am afraid they are worried about our caravan friends who do driveways :Doh:

RAY:winky:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Sound like gypsies. Like the folks in the U.S. who stay in Wal*Mart parking lots. Why don't these people pay for a campsite or rent space in a field from a sympathetic farmer who wants to make a few quid?

If they parked in my street uninvited, they'd only want to do it once.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi you guys can take the mick all you like, but sometimes we are our own worst enemies, would I like a pile of motorhomes outside my house, No way.

If we continue to upset people by irresponsible parking, don't be surprised if laws come in banning wildcamping everywhere. Then you will be doing some more grizzling about loss of freedoms.

Olley

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi you guys can take the mick all you like, but sometimes we are our own worst enemies, would I like a pile of motorhomes outside my house, No way.

If we continue to upset people by irresponsible parking, don't be surprised if laws come in banning wildcamping everywhere. Then you will be doing some more grizzling about loss of freedoms.

Olley

There are always a few that ruin it for all. We have all come across inconsiderate campers. And we know that there are those that will moan about anything just for the sake of it. Two moans to a council can get motorhomes barred from anywhere. The council do not take into consideration the thousands that do not complain, just the two that do. Examples of the minority ruling the majority can be seen everywhere, but that's probably best on another thread:Cool:

Staying on topic though. I lived right next door to and overlooked a massive car park in Chichester for ten years, It could get busy at weekends and in the summer, some campers would stop overnight. I didn't complain, the carpark was there before I moved to the area and I already owned a nice motorhome myself. Essentially it had no effect on me or my life, all i could see was campers enjoying themselves. Maybe though, if I didn't have a motorhome, was small minded, petty and jealous, I might have complained about the overnighting. :RollEyes:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Plus what most other countries do realise is motor homes bring money to the area and most are tourist dependant.

I listen to Eileen tell me how Wales tries to block applications to make places tourist friendly yet advertise on TV and put flyer's in every magazine trying to get you to come to wales:Doh:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Staying on topic though. I lived right next door to and overlooked a massive car park in Chichester for ten years, It could get busy at weekends and in the summer, some campers would stop overnight. I didn't complain, the carpark was there before I moved to the area and I already owned a nice motorhome myself. Essentially it had no effect on me or my life, all i could see was campers enjoying themselves. Maybe though, if I didn't have a motorhome, was small minded, petty and jealous, I might have complained about the overnighting. :RollEyes:

Hi jim compaining about people overnighting on a carpark that you live next door to is hardly the same as them parking in front of your house.

I'm a live and let live kind of guy too, our new neighbours have been parking a 7.5ton lorry in our narrow road and on the path, making it difficult to get past, and impossible for me in the RV without mounting the verg, after some moaning he now puts it in his drive, now why didn't he do that in the first place?

Its just consideration for other people, something that sadly seems to be lacking in our modern world.

Olley

2escapees

Deleted User
As always the inconsiderate few spoil it for everyone. Sadly a few comments on this thread suggest that maybe some of those people are signed up here as members!

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
As always the inconsiderate few spoil it for everyone. Sadly a few comments on this thread suggest that maybe some of those people are signed up here as members!

lighten up dude:Smile: this is mhfun not mhglum.

sersol

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
Plus what most other countries do realise is motor homes bring money to the area and most are tourist dependant.

I d'ont agree with you John,I think you wiil find MOST,not all will go to their local Tesco,top up on goodies for the weeKend(or week) & spend as little as possible where they FREE LOAD (they term it as "wild camping").
I've NOTHING against wild camping as such,I've done it myself,BUT CHEAP SKATES,FREE LOADER's call them what you want WILL BU**GER it up for the rest who just want the freedom but ARE prepared to spend money locally where they park up.
The French have it bang on with the "Aire" system,however I have noticed that the British are abusing that. I refer to tuggers,now nothing against them but just check them out next time you are there,1 space for the "tugged" 1 space for the "tug" & 1 last space for the water & waste carriers-I've seen it. So in total 3 spaces & you got it, all there shopping neatly packed in TESCO bags.
Not sorry for this rant ,if we d'ont do something the French will,ie-barrier operated by French credit only,so all who think its ok to just park up anywhere think on you will spoil it for the rest.
Gary

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hmmm not sure where I stand on this one. Consider, most of those people pay a premium price for a house with a "sea view" on top of this there is a possibility thet their council tax will increase because of that view. Can't say I'd be too chuffed if having bought one of those properties my "sea view" turned out to be a row of motorhomes. :Eeek:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
The French have it bang on with the "Aire" system,however I have noticed that the British are abusing that.

For the benefit of us foreigners, could someone please explain what the Aire system is.

TIA.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Can't say I'd be too chuffed if having bought one of those properties my "sea view" turned out to be a row of motorhomes.

You'd be even less chuffed if they put out the slideouts and awnings, laid the fake grass, then out out the lawn chairs and BBQ. That's what many of the "good" guys do at Wal*Marts. Some of the "bad" ones have been known to dump their holding tanks right there in the parking lot.

As was correctly said, a few spoil it for everyone.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
When we return for a trip, we always make sure we park the coach in front of our house, not someone else's, while unloading and cleaning up before returning the coach to the storage lot. Same thing when we're preparing to leave. I wouldn't have the nerve to park in front of a neighbour's house, although several have told me it's OK.

We went through a period when somebody was dropping off a car in front of our house every day and leaving it there with a "for sale" sign on the windshield. Every time my wife ran out to find out who it was, the guy had already left in another car that had arrived at the same time. I didn't recognise the car and asked a number of neighbours, but nobody knew the car or who it belonged to.

One day I was in a local Starbucks coffee shop and saw a Highway Patrol officer having his morning break (it's a favourite stop for them). Since CHP has jurisdiction over the roads locally, I asked him about this darned car, and he agreed to stop by and check it out. Sure enough, he drove by, took the licence number and called it in. He got the address of the owner and said he'd have a word in his ear.

The next day I happened to see another neighbour and mentioned the car and the discussion. Turns out it belonged to his son who was wheeling and dealing in second hand cars. This was the only neighbour I hadn't asked earlier. A big oops! Fortunately, I have a good relationship with my neighbour (a Dutchman).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi tom the Aires system is a place where motorhomes only are allowed to stay in France, they can be just part of a car park, to dedicated aires for anywhere between 4-5 to 100-200 and may or may not have water, electric and dump, most have water and dump. most are free to stay in but you may have to pay for the utilities if you use them, most are in or around towns and villages.

I believe their are over 4000 of them, the idea is you stay for a night or two and spend some money locally, its a brilliant system, and their have been attemps to copy it over here, I believe we now have 2 :Doh:

Germany and Italy have similar places called Stelplatz and Sostas respectively, other european countries also have them but in very limited numbers compared to those 3.

His a couple of pictures the first is the Gace aire in the centre of Gace, you can only stay here after 18.00 and you must be off by 10.00 as its a public car park. The next is a dedicated aire next to the Piau Engaly ski resort, €11.50 per night including 4amp electric. Just enough to run the heating and telly. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Attachments

• DSCN5716.jpg
    DSCN5716.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 159
  • P1030415.jpg
    P1030415.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 154
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Thanks for that explanation and photos Olley. That does sound like a great idea. I'm struggling to think of any equivalent that we might have here in the U.S.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Tom the French have another scheme called "France Passion" farmers all over France allow you to stay for one night on their land for free, the advantage for the farmer is that he gets the chance to sell you some of his products, which maybe wine, cheese etc. Although there is no obligation to buy anything, I think most do.

It costs about £20 to join and you get a book with a list of farmers in the scheme. See here Link Removed

I believe the Italians are trying to start a similar scheme, and their was an attempt to start it over here but they couldn't get farmers interested so it never got off the ground.

France is the most motorhomer friendly country in Europe, with the UK as probably one the most unfriendly. :Sad:

Olley

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
It is surprising that British farmers are not interested in allowing a similar scheme for parking as the French one, with more and more local farmers joining together to sell local produce I would have expected it to start off. Could it be that they are put off thinking they need the standards of CS & CL's ?.

David

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi David not surprised at all, its the free bit the farmers couldn't get their head around.::bigsmile:

I think its more to do with the size, I think most farms in the UK are much larger than the farms in France, also very few produce food to sell to the general public, most goes directly to the likes of Tesco.

But then again it could be they don't like us, tried to book in to a CL on a farm at ilford last year only to be met with indifference, and when I mentioned I was an RV she told me that the caravaners had complained about our size so she didn't allow them on site. :Angry:

olley

hereford bull

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
HEREFORD
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
6 YRS
I once called at a site nr brecon they told me our customers want to see the beacons not the side of your rv.on the subject of aires and farmers land all these lovelly ideas go out the window when billy lee Itinerant turns up and wont move on

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back