Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Hello all,

which tyres would the members recommend for our panel van? One garage is swearing by Continentals, the other is saying Dunlop. We use the van all year round, what do you all think?

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Depends on your mileage.
If it's high go for a premium brand, such as Continental, Michelin.
If it's low go for a budget brand, of which there are many.

Just make sure the load ratings are correct, whichever you choose.

Pete:Cool:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
continentals are good and seem to get good reviews.

the experience i have had with michelins is they are good for milage but not as good in the wet as dunlops.

you pays your money and takes your choice there was a tyre review somewhere on the net or in one of the motorhome mags that made good reading though i cant remember where it was.

found it Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
uniroyal . or cheng shin . any really . i,m not keen on matador . they went through a bad patch of egging out .
i have tigars on my truck debica on my trailer plus federals as spares . depends on what deal you can get . i like michelin but find them too expensive these days . not a avon luvver . fing they wear strange .
but i do know uk is possibly bestr place to buy tyres . you dont want to have to replace in other eu counties .

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Thanks guys.

We do 3 to 4000 a year and the Dunlops are 80 quid and the Continentals 90. Just a little concerned about some of the reviews about Dunlop. Trouble is, a family members thinks he is doing me a favour with the Dunlops so dont want to offend :Sad:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Continentals they are excellent tyres and 90£:thumb: is a good price

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Thanks. The report looks really good and makes interesting reading. I do think we should get the Continentals now and if jhors thinks at 90 they are a good buy then I shall go for them. Thanks again to everyone, you always come up trumps :thumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Thats cheap for Contis and you will never wear them out at that mileage you will change through age first.......but get more years out of them keep them covered with proper tyre covers.......you could well double their life :thumb:

All the best Rick

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
had always fitted premium tyres on my car then a few years back needed new tyres Went to my usual tyre shop to order new tyres, While I was there a van driver in a 2 years old Mer van came in asking for budget tyres fitted to replace budget worn out ones on his van I asked him why he did not fit premium tyres He told me that he always get at least 20k out of any budget ones with correct weight and speed rating and been using budget ones for years.
Changed my mind and been using budget tyres since, lasted just as long as the premium ones I used for years. Difference is that I get 4 new tyres for 1 and 1/2 cost of premiums.

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Yes it is interesting, after reading the report and some other things on the net the weight ratio can make a big difference. The problem is a lot of garages treat my van conversion as a van and doesnt take into account the Mass weight and the fact we will be parking in fields in winter!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i say go for an m&s tyre . not a true winter tyre . you maybe able to cut that price a fair bit with a good economy tyre . but you pay your money take a chance . only have to miss judge one sharp kerb and that could be a tyre gone cheap or dear both suffer the same .

tyre cover work good if in lots of sun like spain or morocco in winter . shades them from ultra violet damage . ideal here if in the sun?when is that .ha ha .

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Most motorhomes will never do the mileage to wear out a set of tyres before they are 'worn out' - my tyres on an 04 MH - bought a year ago were original equipment - 8 years old - but with loads of tread! - but with cracked side walls.

IMHO I would buy 'budget tyres' every few years rather than leave 'branded' tyres on longer just because they had a 'name'

It's a bit like servicing - low mileage means low use and that's all - not good for any vehicle - use it !

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have Continental Vanco 4 seasons on mine and they are fine. They are now 5 years old and although they appear fine, no cracks and tons of tread, they probably should be replaced:cry:. Especially as the Rapido has no spare or anywhere to put one.

Hercules

Free Member
Sep 30, 2012
SWANSEA
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2005
I fitted Hankook RA08 tyres to my motorhome about 3 years ago, after seeing a comparison test of motorhome tyres on the internet. I think they came out best in the aquaplaning test, and beat the Michelins at everything, for half the price. I also went up a load rating as the original tyres were close to their limit on my van.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I fitted Hankook RA08 tyres to my motorhome about 3 years ago, after seeing a comparison test of motorhome tyres on the internet. I think they came out best in the aquaplaning test, and beat the Michelins at everything, for half the price. I also went up a load rating as the original tyres were close to their limit on my van.

i also have Hankook RA08 fitted after reading good reports on them:thumb:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Yes good price for Continentals......the Camper/motorhome variety is better as the sidewalls are much stronger. This is important as Motorohomes often spend a lot of thier time idle........ standing still for days if not months.
An ordinary commercial van tyre is designed for use every day and the walls do not need to be quite as strong.

barry:Smile:

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
I think at lot of tyre places havent a clue about motorhomes and treat them as commercial vehicles and I must admit being a novice I didnt have a clue until I started reading yesterday. We have already got the conti's on order and are being fitted this afternoon but I will look at budgets for next time. Hopefully it wont be for ages yet though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back