Re-fillable gas........underslung or in the van? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I am wondering about the pro's and con's of Gaslow tanks versus underslung tanks.

The van we are buying has an internal gas locker for 2 x 11kg which could be converted to a Gaslow system. On the other hand if I had an external tank fitted underneath then I could use the empty gas locker space for more storage :winky:.

Could anyone who has either of these two systems offer any advice or comment please?

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I was in the same position four years ago and decided on a Gaslow system.

With gaslow the installation can be DIY and save on fitting charges. If you change your van you can take it with you. You can change from 'calor' to gaslow bit by bit. If you filled yet another locker would your payload be compromised.

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
Underslung tank

Hi,
We bought a Bentley MH earlier this year and we had a underslung tank fitted between the
chassis with the fill up point coming out the side. The company near Thirsk has been fitting these systems for years and have a wealth of knowledge which is what you need in order to make the right decision for you personally. They put a gauge in the front driving position so that we can see at a glance if it needs filling up and that is very,very easy. We have only ever had a hook up the first night we had the van and never need ehu now which makes the enjoyment of the van so much better without the need to bother with electric anywhere, fully self sufficient.
We did also put a 100 watt solar panel on the top which keeps our single 120 amp leisure battery fully charged all this summer. We have a full cooker and we have never used the microwave since it was fitted ( runs only on electric hook up).
The company gave us a very good service and even take you into Thirsk itself to spend the day while it is fitted. The company also do the refillable bottle system so they would give you the choice of both, Autogas 2000's owner Chris is often at shows and can give you expert advice.
Hope this helps, I have only been a customer.
Atlantisbird
Harry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

With gaslow the installation can be DIY and save on fitting charges. If you change your van you can take it with you. You can change from 'calor' to gaslow bit by bit. If you filled yet another locker would your payload be compromised.

I agree ..I have two 11kg alugas bottles......I have plenty of space but not the payload, without the under slung tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

Only me and my missus so no load probs :Smile: I do like the look of Gaslow tho'.....

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi,
The company also do the refillable bottle system so they would give you the choice of both, Autogas 2000's owner Chris is often at shows and can give you expert advice.
Hope this helps, I have only been a customer.
Atlantisbird
Harry

I received email from Chris today, looks good kit. I'd prefer double the capacity tho......

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have to agree with atlantisbird - we had our underslung tank fitted by Chris at Autogas 2000 earlier this year, a very professional job and great service.

The tank is supported on a purpose made steel frame and not steel bands which can, in time, rust through causing the tank to drop off. You also get an accurate tank contents gauge which is easy to read without leaving the vehicle.

Apart from cheaper lpg which we can top up easily any time we now have additional locker space and no more humping heavy cylinders.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We had our first Alugas tank (and the filler) installed by Dave Newell. We would have gone back to Dave for the second one but then we found ourselves needing it in a hurry and Autogas 2000 is just down the road from us so we were able to fit it in on a Friday afternoon at short notice.

Both Dave and Autogas 2000 do thoroughly professional jobs.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I have to agree with atlantisbird - we had our underslung tank fitted by Chris at Autogas 2000 earlier this year, a very professional job and great service.

The tank is supported on a purpose made steel frame and not steel bands which can, in time, rust through causing the tank to drop off. You also get an accurate tank contents gauge which is easy to read without leaving the vehicle.

Apart from cheaper lpg which we can top up easily any time we now have additional locker space and no more humping heavy cylinders.

For us, the weight of the steel frame for the U/Slung tank... plus the steel under slung tank ..would eat into our so little payload...the alugas.... one bottle full = a steel gas bottle or gaslow bottle empty ::bigsmile::thumb: for us the the better option

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The weight factor is something I meant to mention.

We used to carry two Calor 6Kg bottles as we had them from our first van. With the weight of the bottles, two of them full is 30Kg. The Alugas bottles are only 6.5Kg each so two full 11Kg bottles weigh 35Kg. We can carry an extra 10Kg of gas for only 5Kg extra weight.

That's quite apart from the convenience of being able to top up the gas as and when.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
For us, [HI]the weight of the steel frame for the U/Slung tank... plus the steel under slung tank ..would eat into our so little payload[/HI]...the alugas.... one bottle full = a steel gas bottle or gaslow bottle empty ::bigsmile::thumb: for us the the better option
Certainly an important point that must be checked before buying and Chris will advise on the total weight ...... we had no problem in this respect.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just remember if going to spain bottles are cheaper than auto gas and autogas isnt on every street corner .

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
If you go for the gaslow system, then go for the gas it system, exactly the same as gaslow (red bottles rather than yellow) but less than 1/2 the price.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there are alot more lpg places in spain and its growing all the time . but spanish bottles are far cheaper to use.
also morocco no auto gas . but bottles about 3-4 quid local exchange .
i,m away to spain and portugal soon will carry uk bottle and spanish . can fill uk in portugal if needed . but possibly wont . just keep swapping spanish bottle .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would suggest getting one 11kg Gas-it bottle and the fittings and see how you get on (easy to fit yourself). If you find you want to have more gas you can easily add a second refillable bottle, or carry an 'emergency' country specific bottle just in case.

The cost of refillable bottles is much less than having a gas tank installed.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Its all about payload, I had a 55litre underslung tank fitted by a Coventry RV dealer and am really pleased with it, loads of places to fill up and just calling in to fill up suits me fine, the only thing I am not happy with is the gauge as it has a red light and five greens so when it gets down to one green light I fill up but the most I have got into it is 27litres.

Dave

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Dave Newall fitted a single 13kg Alugas system for me at Lincoln, went for the lightweight cylinder to save payload, well pleased with it, filled it for first time (it was prefilled when fitted) this afternoon, never having used a lpg pump before I was concerned, shouldn't have been its so simple and straightforward. :thumb:

So now I have space in locker for another 6kg cylinder if abroad and unable to find lpg.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Hi Stewart. How much was it, including fitting cost a la Dave Newall
.Mitch.

Hi Mitch
Total bill was £328.97 this included following adapters French/Italian, Acme and Spanish and £16.50 for the fill of lpg. Installation cost was £54. My existing regulator was used (newish gaslow one fitted after truma unit failed) He fitted an external filling point.

Well pleased with the service and would recommend.:thumb:

robinwickens

Free Member
Oct 3, 2012
Bromyard
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2nd Year
I think that we would go for the Gaslow system.
Both systems seem to have advantages and disadvantages.
If you decide on the underslung system it is advised that you have the straps checked regularly as they are known to rot and dump the tank on the floor.
Especially difficult to spot rot/rust if straps are sheathed.
Perhaps the extra for Stainless straps/fixings would be worth it?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have both systems, an under-slung tank and locker with 2 13kg bottles. I never have to worry about were I can get gas even on long trips. There is also a 13kg in the garage which I use for my outside cooker and 3 way freezer. Dont need to bother with Spanish or Moroccan bottles now. If you free up a gas locker you will only fill it with stuff you dont need.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Or as I did 1/2 for gas 1/2 for storage, in which we find the gas bottle acts as
a cooler in the gas locker,
also we have always found the 11kg gaslow bottle sufficient for our needs while touring France Spain Portugal for upto 6weeks plenty of places to fill,and cheap as chips compared with renting and changing bottles and regulators at every border crossing
which by the way isnt practical or convenient. Best thing since sliced bread.
I went with Gaslow because they were the developers of this system and gave the back up without question,the rest have jumped on the band wagon so to speak.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed
Regards
Steve:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think you may find alugas was around years ago . about 30 as far as far as i know probably longer. reimo have had the bottles in their cat for years .

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
think you may find alugas was around years ago . about 30 as far as far as i know probably longer. reimo have had the bottles in their cat for years .

Alan
They may have been around but not providing "the product " Gaslow has developed, as it is being sold today. Or may I say the range of quality products, gaslow have developed to specifically support the fitment and use of the same.

And no before anyone ask or suggests, I dont have any relationship with Gaslow.

Just think their a good company who deserve recognition for their development, and from also knowing how easy it is for someone to jump on your bandwagon after you have spent years developing and building the original model, by applying a coat of paint and changing the name then offering it cheaper.

regards
Steve

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Should anyone require one I know of a complete LPG underslung tank and fixing kit including filler located at a garage that has gas safe engineers to fit it or take it away and fit yourself. They are however unable to supply certification for some obscure reason for other than their own vehicles of which they have a fleet. If anyone interested PM me for the contact details, I have no idea of price and no connection with the firm.

dottyju

Free Member
Sep 1, 2012
nottingham
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
since 2006
plastic 10kg gas bottles on offer in France

Whilst touring France earlier this year we 'bought' a French Total Gaz 'Sheesha' gas bottle from a supermarket ( noticed the bright orange plastic bottles being promoted everywhere in France and even in Andorra ). The cost was 25euro ( 20 for the gas and 5 for the 'bottle deposit'. ( an exchange bottle costs 20 euro = 1 euro per litre ! )
Was initially asked for address and passport I.D but as there was queue at the till and my French is near zero they settled on just my name on the rental agreement. ( The 2nd bottle, bought later was at a self service fuel pay booth and the queue of drivers behind greased the process with a need for even less paperwork ).
This was the ideal solution as our calor propane 6kg light's had run out and the sheesha is a sort of square 'rounded off corners' shape at the base which tapers in to the top - this shape was also ideal as it fitted perfectly in the Bessaccarr locker with the tapered shape followng the curve of the locker door perfectly.
The bottles are Butane ( 10kg) and come with a free 'BBQ' regulator which have a 20mm push-on fitting.
As we have the inbuilt fixed regulator I needed a push-on adapter which was very(very) difficult to find in France and expensive ( 18euro ) but found later they are easily available in uk for about £8. ( these adapters look identical to the calor 21mm adapter but are slightly ( 1mm) smaller fitting so are not interchangeable.
Having used the 'sheesha' for a while I decided to buy another and both fit in the locker giving 20kg of gas as opposed to 12kg with 2 calor light's.
All intermarche supermarkets and all Total fuel outlets are now stocking these bottles in France and they also come with a free clip-on 'handle' ( although we disposed of ours ) which clips on the top and as the bottles have 2 small wheels built into the base its easy to transport the bottle.
Think this is the ideal solution for us whilst in France as they are widely available, we can carry more gas and the bottles are very light.
We use a pigtail ( gas hose ) Calor 21.8 female nut to 20mm female nut(regulator end ) which connects straight onto the adapter as it has a calor male thread. Changing back to calor propane is easy, simply unscrew the adapter and attach the red POL adapter to the end of the pigtail instead.
I have also bought a 'Jumbo' adapter ready for trips to Spain although I don't know how easy it is to obtain a Spanish bottle on arrival.

Anyone got experience of getting hold of a spanish 6-10kg size in Spain as I believe there is a lot of paperwork involved in a rental agreement ?

Diesel in Andorra was 90p per litre in July ( 2012 ), 1 ltr 50% Smirnoff at £8.80- will be going that way to Spain in future ! :thumb:
P.S don't overcook your customs allowance - we were stopped and searched by the French customs 'police' the day AFTER leaving Andorra and heading for the West coast - but that's another story.:whatthe:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as far as i know you could get alugas bottle complete with filling bits .and was sold in germany years ago . i have seen them probably twenty/thirty years ago. could have been longer .
seems to me gaslow just copied it . and charge more .

Last edited:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
as far as i know you could get alugas bottle complete with filling bits .and was sold in germany years ago . i have seen them probably twenty/thirty years ago. could have been longer .
seems to me gaslow just copied it . and charge more .

Alan
Proof is in the pudding I always say post the link to the original version that Gaslow supposedly copied or enough said on subject in my opinion.
regards
Steve:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back