Stonehenge (1 Viewer)

Hussar

Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Had my first taste of wild camping last night. Wonderful. In fact it was my first time out in the van ever. Stayed over on a by-way within a 100 meters of the stones, good weather, firm ground and no problems. Got a good idea of what we had forgot and what we need to buy.
::bigsmile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Dont tell us you forgot the corkscrew :Doh:
nice to know you enjoyed it, bet it wont be long before you are doing it again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
you forgot your camera to share the scene with us ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

stew

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
ps

If you need to buy one I have some crackers for sale at the moment

stew

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
ps

If you need to buy one I have some crackers for sale at the moment

stew

I've heard of London Bridge being sold to Yanks, but fake Stonehenge stones.....Nah you'll never get away with it!! :ROFLMAO:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
I've heard of London Bridge being sold to Yanks, but fake Stonehenge stones.....Nah you'll never get away with it!! :ROFLMAO:

the profit is all in the mark up on the postage :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, ebay do not charge a fee for that :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the forum, I am glad to see you enjoyed the wild camping. why not join us next week at the Carmarthen motorhome show and Fun Rally.

Link Removed

grenlynn

Free Member
Mar 30, 2009
Funster No
we are hoping to go to stonehenge next week maybe,not decided yet.i would also like to go to cheddar gorge and the exe estuary. hoping to wild camp all the way. happy camping.

Compass57

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Low line
Exp
2 years
I was there in 2008 with Diezel my boxer dog.
I called in on the stones on my way home from spending several days down in Cornwall on the road that over looks St Michaels mount.
I was impressed with the stones and tried to get in to see them a little closer than from the fence that runs along the main road there. Unfortunately, there were no dogs allowed inside the perimeter fence so I turned back…their loss I reckon because I could see all I wanted to see from that road.
I stayed for a few hours to have several brews and then made my way to the Cheddar Gorge, that was fantastic experience, the road went down and down and down until it levelled off and one was out of the Gorge.
Pictures below……sorry non of Gorge.

Bip.:thumb:

Attachments

• Touring Holiday Sep08 008.jpg
    Touring Holiday Sep08 008.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Touring Holiday Sep08 041.jpg
    Touring Holiday Sep08 041.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 48

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Bustard Pub

A good place to stop is not far rom Stonehenge "The Bustard Pub" Proceed west from Amesbury and turn right at the roundabout At the staggered x roads go across to Rollestone & at that X roads go straight on past Rollestone Camp and the pub is 1 mile down the road Great food and beer

nanny001

Free Member
Sep 30, 2012
kent
Funster No
MH
van conversion high top
Exp
8 months
stonhenge

I stay around stonehenge quiet a lot as there is so many places just to park up overnight,unfortunatley Busted Inn pub is now shut but you can still park there overnight,also next to wood henge is another place to stay just up from henge.

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
A good place to stop is not far rom Stonehenge "The Bustard Pub" Proceed west from Amesbury and turn right at the roundabout At the staggered x roads go across to Rollestone & at that X roads go straight on past Rollestone Camp and the pub is 1 mile down the road Great food and beer

My platoon had a party in there back in 1982...I missed the bus and got left behind!!! so the landlady put me up for the night. Don't remember much about it TBH
:roflmto:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We were there earlier this year on a detour route home from the Great Dorset Steam Fair.
It was amazing how many people didn't pay the £7.80p each admission fee and walked over to the fence to have a look for free.
Oh yes, I was one of them.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
£7.80 to see some rocks, your kidding me, I find it amazing that we will spend millions on preserving a bunch of rocks man put there in the first place but quite happily destroy some of natures best:cry:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I worked at the Royal Scool of Artillery in the late '90 and saw Stonehenge every time I opened the bed room curtains. I loved the view.
Didn't know that the Bustard Inn was close.
For those interested the Bustard was a ground bird that was extinct on the Plain but has now been re-introduced

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
We were there earlier this year on a detour route home from the Great Dorset Steam Fair.
It was amazing how many people didn't pay the £7.80p each admission fee and walked over to the fence to have a look for free.
Oh yes, I was one of them.

It'll be a longer walk to have a look once they close the A344 next year and then move the visitor centre/car park further away, as planned.

nanny001

Free Member
Sep 30, 2012
kent
Funster No
MH
van conversion high top
Exp
8 months
The new visitor center is already underway,i agree with making us pay for something that belongs to every one anyway.My biggest hateis,after the summer solstice which i go to every year,is the amount of rubbish left behind :Angry:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
The new visitor center is already underway,i agree with making us pay for something that belongs to every one anyway.My biggest hateis,after the summer solstice which i go to every year,is the amount of rubbish left behind :Angry:

If it belongs to everyone anyway, why should we pay to see our own things? ::bigsmile: :reel:

Last edited:

nanny001

Free Member
Sep 30, 2012
kent
Funster No
MH
van conversion high top
Exp
8 months
Sorry that is what i ment that we should not have to pay to see what is are's.it should be open to everybody.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
This is an old Forum, but I'm playing catch up:Smile:

Did anyone ever visit Wood Henge while in the area. HWMDO didnt believe me, until we had a full roast lamb Sunday lunch, cooked by me in the MH and overlooking the site. She was impressed and there wasn't a handbag in sight::bigsmile:

From Google - Woodhenge is a Neolithic Class II henge and timber circle monument located in the Stonehenge World Heritage Site in Wiltshire, England. It is 2 miles north-east of Stonehenge in the parish of Durrington, just north of Amesbury. Address is Fargo Road, A345, Amesbury SP4 7A

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodhenge
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread