700 booked for speeding on A55 (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
If you are travelling to or from North Wales beware that 700 motorist have been booked for speeding in the last three weeks on the A55 at Colwyn Bay. Apparently this is on the 50MPH restricted section.
Having driven this road for many years i can't say that i am surprised, if you stick to the limit you feel as if you are in reverse with all the vehicles flying past you, can't really see the need for the restriction anyway on a modern dual carraigeway. MIND NOW YOU GO

http://www.dailypost.co.uk

dave e

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you are travelling to or from North Wales beware that 700 motorist have been booked for speeding in the last three weeks on the A55 at Colwyn Bay. Apparently this is on the 50MPH restricted section.
Having driven this road for many years i can't say that i am surprised, if you stick to the limit you feel as if you are in reverse with all the vehicles flying past you, can't really see the need for the restriction anyway on a modern dual carraigeway. MIND NOW YOU GO:winky:

Broken Link Removed

dave e

linky no worky ...

www.northwalespost.co.uk is unavailable or may not exist

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
The restriction is there because the 11 slip roads along that section of road are very short making it dangerous for traffic joining the carriageway.

Speeding traffic and people who ignore the give way markings when joining the carriageway make it a very dangerous mix. A recent survey done by the local regional daily newspaper highlighted the problem as a major public concern which is why North Wales Police have run the campaign. They have also prosecuted numerous cases of no seat belts and people talking on mobile phones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Last edited:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I liken that road to the A580 east lancs before the M62 was built, one of the most dangerous in the country. The number of serious accidents is awful. Locals are instantly campaigning for upgrades including longer on slips. The speed of some of the Irish trucks especially on downhill stretches is frightening. I am always wary when on it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have a similar stretch of the A66 on Tees-side, between Stockton and Teesport. It was deliberately restricted to 50mph when built because of all the junctions and slip roads. A good job too as there are still a number of shunts and the consequences could be far worse if extra speed were involved.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I used to use the A55 regularly when I worked, all my colleagues got points over the years. It is a bad stretch of road but the police are very keen with their kit.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian, was you always a flash bugger, TR 3 indeed !,
Ken

Had a favourite uncle who had a garage. He had to be favourite when he'd let me take TR3s and even 3.8 Jags as a teenager.

But the everlasting memory is just how rotten and unreliable cars in general were then. 20,000 miles and major engine work was needed on the likes of Morris Minors, I remember pulling the engine out of one I had, at least it was easy. Regrind crank, new piston rings was more less a big service.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back