Seeking a bit of Sat nav info (1 Viewer)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I am seeking a bit of sat nav info.

I have a old Garmin....but maps are out of date..so that is destined for the dustbin :thumb:
I had a Acer that did go into the bin not long after purchase:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I have a Tom Tom one this has been a very good little sat nav..but it has now gone kaput died today..so that is destined for the bin:Doh:

I still have a tom tom 1000 ..1 year old and a very good sat nav.

I have had both type of Sat nav's TT & Garmin and I do like Tom Tom ..BUT.. am I ready for a change!!!! not sure

So I am now looking for a second sat nav again to use in the Motorhome or as a backup and also to use in our other vehicle.

These are some of the Sat nav's I am looking at...I am wanting good and bad feedback..:Doh: if you own one please let me know what you think

Tom Tom Go live Camper & Caravan

Garmin dezl 560 lmt ( life time maps) for motorhomes/Caravans

Tom Tom 1005

Garmin Nuvi 3590 LMT (lifetime maps)

Or any other you would recommend and why

I have read a few negative reviews/reports on the Motorhome type sat nav's..saying they are a waste of time..from people that have purchased them.
This is one review from a FRENCH trucker (arctic) in France said in his review...when he came to a town, and the limit was below what he was allowed (limit 3.5 ton) but he needed to go in to deliver...his sat nav (for motorhome/caravan trucker) had problems in the town ...not giving him directions streets roads etc: because he had gone beyond what he was allowed on the info he had inputted at the start of the route:Doh: WHY..is this true sounds daft...

So I am thinking should I or shouldn't I go for the motorhome type..or should I just go for a normal sat nav...
I have had very little problems in the past.. as long as you use your loaf...think! sensible.

Also quite a few negative reviews on the lifetime maps.....saying if it has to be repaired for what ever reason...then you loose the lifetime maps..... also if you have a battery change, you also loose the L/time maps :Eeek:
Also how long is a piece of string...meaning how long is the lifetime maps good for.. if Garmin change there mapping system :Doh:
So how long is sat nav battery good for....... how long would you want to keep a sat nav before you would want to up date for a newer model
Mel

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i have an old garmin and it would be cheaper to replace it than to update the maps.
i also have the pioneer unit that came with the motorhome which is a very good bit of kit but the maps are astronomical to update and only on dvd.
but what i use more nowadays is my android phone and google maps as it seems to update automatically and if it only lasts a year then no problem as most people upgrade their phones every 12 months or so and 99% of the time you will have it in your pocket so its not requiring securing or hiding in the car/motorhome.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I find the snooper truckmate pretty good. It does it's best to keep you away from unsuitable roads, but if you do go somewhere you shouldn't e.g. a weight limit it will still navigate you through, though it beeps a lot. It won't allow you to set up a poi that is on an unsuitable road from current gps position though it will if you manually set up the coordinates. It also won't give you a route if an unsuitable road is unavoidable (like you're already on one) I use together witha TomTom because the TomTom has the best range of poi files, so TomTom does the final navigation to the aire/ste/whatever.

I wouldn't fret too much if your maps are out of date, I still use in my car the first TomTom I bought donkeys years ago with the original maps. There are a few new roads it doesn't know about but it still gets you there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I am seeking a bit of sat nav info.

I have a old Garmin....but maps are out of date..so that is destined for the dustbin :thumb:
I had a Acer that did go into the bin not long after purchase:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I have a Tom Tom one this has been a very good little sat nav..but it has now gone kaput died today..so that is destined for the bin:Doh:

I still have a tom tom 1000 ..1 year old and a very good sat nav.

I have had both type of Sat nav's TT & Garmin and I do like Tom Tom ..BUT.. am I ready for a change!!!! not sure

So I am now looking for a second sat nav again to use in the Motorhome or as a backup and also to use in our other vehicle.

These are some of the Sat nav's I am looking at...I am wanting good and bad feedback..:Doh: if you own one please let me know what you think

Tom Tom Go live Camper & Caravan

Garmin dezl 560 lmt ( life time maps) for motorhomes/Caravans

Tom Tom 1005

Garmin Nuvi 3590 LMT (lifetime maps)

Or any other you would recommend and why

I have read a few negative reviews/reports on the Motorhome type sat nav's..saying they are a waste of time..from people that have purchased them.
This is one review from a FRENCH trucker (arctic) in France said in his review...when he came to a town, and the limit was below what he was allowed (limit 3.5 ton) but he needed to go in to deliver...his sat nav (for motorhome/caravan trucker) had problems in the town ...not giving him directions streets roads etc: because he had gone beyond what he was allowed on the info he had inputted at the start of the route:Doh: WHY..is this true sounds daft...

So I am thinking should I or shouldn't I go for the motorhome type..or should I just go for a normal sat nav...
I have had very little problems in the past.. as long as you use your loaf...think! sensible.

Also quite a few negative reviews on the lifetime maps.....saying if it has to be repaired for what ever reason...then you loose the lifetime maps..... also if you have a battery change, you also loose the L/time maps :Eeek:
Also how long is a piece of string...meaning how long is the lifetime maps good for.. if Garmin change there mapping system :Doh:
So how long is sat nav battery good for....... how long would you want to keep a sat nav before you would want to up date for a newer model
Mel

Sithie here Mel,

As a good Yorkshireman you, no doubt would like owt fur nowt, well this not quite fur nowt, but compared with the prices being asked for some proprietory brands, its like fer nowt, have a look on ebay for this here ............... 7" Car GPS SAT NAV 128M Bluetooth Wireless Reverse Camera UK Seller L21 ( 260959257593,

I was looking around for a sat nav and came across this one on ebay, did a post on here, got a PM from TOMM2 ( thanks Tom ), with a brilliant score, he had bought from the same vendor and used it throughout Europe and found if very good,

I ordered mine about 10 days ago, received it very quickly ( posted in Glasgow ! ), set it up last weekend and it seems excellent, very responsive and great clarity with free lifetime updates, 2 years guarantee and only a wee bit dearer than the hands free kit I was going to buy for the MH,

Not having purchased sat nav before, I am not the worlds expert in any way, but for all the features offered in one unit at £78 ( this is the top model, you can buy the basic for about £39 ) cant see any better value for money,

Ken Beerdrinker :thumb: :drink:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi Mel just reading your post.
I had the same problems with my Navman navpix, worked fine until you came across a new road, & was going cross country according to the unit! Also being a tightarse, went through all the units on the market, read the blurb etc etc.
Long story short and I don’t know if it is of any use to you, but as I have amongst my coms, units, a Samsung netbook, loaded with offshore charts, Maptech and inland Mapoint (2011) and Autoroute (2010) the cheaper option (£18) was to buy a GPS dongle. And a dash cradle. Works fine with Win 7 and win xp.
Still have Navman on for ref but netbook you can do lots more, leaves a track, you have a 10” gps,/full map view, see where you go off route, and compensate back on track, If the dash was more suitable could even put up my 16”Hp netbook, recent trips through France/Spain a lot easier with it this time, just a thought? And possibly other funsters use the same maybe, had more experience than me with it,
Good luck jr :thumb:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We have a Snooper Caravan Club edition (bought via an ad in CC mag) - brilliant. All the CC sites & CLs are installed and loads of sites in Europe plus loads of other info. We recently set it for the site in La Fleche and it took us right to the site barrier. Nice big screen as well.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Link Removed
try there `st you may get a update for your sat nav for free i updated my garmin with no problems if you get a problem drop me a line

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Link Removed
this is also a poi download site for campsites

robinwickens

Free Member
Oct 3, 2012
Bromyard
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2nd Year
Garmin

I have just purchased the new Garmin that includes sites and CL's from the club.
I wish I hadn't!
We have just returned from France central and I found the mapping very lacking at local level. It also seemed that any town that I wanted to visit wasn't in the database.
It was supposed to take me over "friendly" roads, however, although we were in the Auto-Trail if I had been towing a caravan these roads would have been most unsuitable. I had set it for motorhome plus trailer, the trailer could have been anything up to a caravan size.
The POI find department was not user friendly.
The town/postcode department was not friendly. If I put a postcode in I expect to be taken to the postcode, not taken to other screens that demand input, if you can't provide a street name or number then forget it!
Settings are minimal, you cannot turn things off or on. I don't need to be told that there are "Safety Cameras" I drive within the speed limits.
You cannot set it to ASK you if you want to use toll roads or not, when abroad for instance, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
All in all not one that I would suggest you buy 'Cause it ain't cheap!

Xan

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
Sithie here Mel,

As a good Yorkshireman you, no doubt would like owt fur nowt, well this not quite fur nowt, but compared with the prices being asked for some proprietory brands, its like fer nowt, have a look on ebay for this here ............... 7" Car GPS SAT NAV 128M Bluetooth Wireless Reverse Camera UK Seller L21 ( 260959257593,

What's the reversing camera like on that one? Any good?

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I bought the TomTom App for my ipad and it's really good. Maps always updated as it's an app and there are a more features on it than the usual TomTom. We have a TomTom Via that we use and is fitted to the dash so Tony can see the layout of the road ahead, but I also have the TomTom ipad on my lap and use this as the first reference. You can buy holders so the ipad can be fitted to the dash.
Was recommended this by another funster who said it was good so thouht I'd give it a go rather than pay £80 to update maps on TomTom.
Having said that we still have a TT Go that is 5 years old and working , the maps never seem out of date on this so I wouldn't worry too much about out of date maps.

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I have just purchased the new Garmin that includes sites and CL's from the club.
I wish I hadn't!
We have just returned from France central and I found the mapping very lacking at local level. It also seemed that any town that I wanted to visit wasn't in the database.
It was supposed to take me over "friendly" roads, however, although we were in the Auto-Trail if I had been towing a caravan these roads would have been most unsuitable. I had set it for motorhome plus trailer, the trailer could have been anything up to a caravan size.
The POI find department was not user friendly.
The town/postcode department was not friendly. If I put a postcode in I expect to be taken to the postcode, not taken to other screens that demand input, if you can't provide a street name or number then forget it!
Settings are minimal, you cannot turn things off or on. I don't need to be told that there are "Safety Cameras" I drive within the speed limits.
You cannot set it to ASK you if you want to use toll roads or not, when abroad for instance, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
All in all not one that I would suggest you buy 'Cause it ain't cheap!

A big thank you Rob, that is just the info I wanted...I was on the verge of ordering from the club...but they don't post to France....::bigsmile: thank goodness...I had read about most of the items you have mentioned BUT they have been in French and was not that easy to understand what they really meant.....one mentioned you have to find your destination at the bottom 60 other destinations that was not relevant:Doh: ...and I am finding to many reviews, saying if you have problems you loose your free maps for life but still get all the other info:Eeek::whatthe:

Mel

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Purchased a Google Nexus 16Gb Android tablet a couple of months ago and bought an App from Co Pilot giving (allegedly) lifetime maps. Paid £180 for the Nexus and £26 (I think) for the App.

Have to say very pleased with the App. Much more flexible than my old Garmin, incredible screen display (after all it is 7") and have successfully uploaded all the C&CC sites and CS's and Caravan Club sites and CL's. Intend to upload the ACSI sites when I get round to it.

Has an "RV" setting but think that is just to make speed calculations.

Expensive for a Satnav solution, but of course it is so much more than that. Working on a method of mounting - do have a solution in mind which would mean it sitting over the radio but secured by an El Cheapo case that will be clipped onto the Fiat document holder.

Have only used the Satnav App once in anger but very pleased with its accuracy and flexibility. Only used in the UK so far.

Steve

Edit: Not sure of availability in France

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
i can you,re getting spoilt for choices but heres A site i ,ve been looking at since my nuvi gave up the ghost, my old navmans still going strong nut out of date maps.
http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/tomtom-go/satnavselector.htm
you can see at a glance whats in the box at where to get the best offers
cheers pete

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thank you all the funster's that replied
I have just purchased the TOM TOM camper caravan ....yesterday...from Darty France..it works out cheaper than the Uk ....389 euros...internet order only ( should be here tomorrow)..My tom tom worked out at £311.00 to £316.00 with our latest exchange rate

Even though the Garmin was a lot cheaper with lifetime maps and lifetime Traffic.......£263.00..the reviews put me right off

I took on board all your replies:thumb: and was tempted with some of the cheaper ones...:Doh: but to tell you the truth...I was only 90% and wondered is/are they as good as the three main satnav's..:Eeek:
I had read that many reviews in English and French... my head was spinning ..and I needed to make a decision and get one soon.

The Tom Tom camper & caravan was coming tops in the reviews...The Garmin was not ..a lot of bad report's in the camper one.

There was two sat navs with good reviews

A Garmin nuvi 3490

A Mappy sat nav

I was even tempted to go for the Mappy..as I sometimes use there internet maps and routes ...

But you had to read very carefully, even though they were the same model sat nav they came with different packages...some said life time maps and traffic ...some was only traffic but they made it look like maps as well ...but when you looked deeper and you had to purchase the life time maps:Doh:...mainly on the French side....

Mel

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
i can you,re getting spoilt for choices but heres A site i ,ve been looking at since my nuvi gave up the ghost, my old navmans still going strong nut out of date maps.
http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/tomtom-go/satnavselector.htm
you can see at a glance whats in the box at where to get the best offers
cheers pete

Thanks pete even though it did come a little late...I had already just ordered
I have just looked in your link

Your link the TomTom go Camper and caravan is £391.99....mine was around £311::bigsmile:

BUT a big thank you Pete

Last edited:

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
no probs mate,glad to see you,re fixed and itching to try the new bit of kit,I,ll keep your link for future reference cheers,pete::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back