My Fridge dilemma (never saw that one coming!) (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
So then, having just ordered a new PVC I am a little concerned about the fridge. The van I have ordered has an electric fridge (12v,240v) only, whereas the other model has a 3 way fridge including gas.

My concern is the power requirement to run the fridge when away from EHU's which we will be most of the time. We don't expect to be in the same place for much more than 2 or 3 days at a time but if we are then my concern is running out of battery power.

I intend to have an extra domestic battery fitted but at a total of 200 A/H this will only give a working capacity of 60 A/H (between 50% and 80% full).

I know I could add solar or wind charging but would rather leave this for a while.

Any advice anyone? (especially from anyone who does not use EHU's)

Many thanks

Chox

Note: I can still change the order if need be.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would want 3 way if you are going off hookup. Unless the fridge is a low power compressor fridge?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I would want 3 way if you are going off hookup. Unless the fridge is a low power compressor fridge?

It is a waeco low power fridge but still maybe 25 to 30 amps per day I reckon

Last edited by a moderator:

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We have a Dometic compressor fridge in our PVC which only runs off the battery. We also have two large leisure batteries. We have done four days without hook-up or running the van. Could maybe do more. We also have all LEDs to conserve the batteries.:Smile:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have a Dometic compressor fridge in our PVC which only runs off the battery. We also have two large leisure batteries. We have done four days without hook-up or running the van. Could maybe do more. We also have all LEDs to conserve the batteries.:Smile:

That's encouraging! How low do you run your batteries down?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
200ah of battery power will give you 100amps to play with.

safe to discharge to 50% as long as they aren't left like that for long

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years

I rekon you should be OK for a few days at least, I don't know what you have based your 25 - 30 amp per day on but you need to remember that the fridge won't actually be running for a large portion of the time and when it does it will probably only be for a few minutes at a time, fill it up and cool it down on mains the night before you depart try and put some frozen stuff in the fridge which will slowly thaw out, don't open the door needlessly suprising how much differance this makes. You will be surprised at how efficient these modern fridges are.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I am not going to make any jokes about a three way:Eeek:

I would get it sorted for one that runs on gas as well

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
my fridge dilemma

Hi,Get it changed now,then you have three options not two,you will only regret it if you dont,if you go to a site you like with no leccy,but you wish to stay longer you will say,i wish i had changed it,IH is a good motorhome good dealer, but take no chances with the fridge, also when you wish to sell it,you may have problems with people who would like gas,regards Harvey.:cry:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well, just to wrap this up......... We have changed the order to a model with 3 way (for many other reasons also) so thank to everyone for your comments.

:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

depends on model .. Power Consumption-Refrigerators

consumption is dependant on three other factors..

a) ambient
b) how often the door is opened/closed
c) how much food is in the fridge

another factor to consider is reliability and maintenance , do a search and you'll find dozens of posts with gas fridge problems.

Modern compressor fridges are reliable, maintenance free and very efficent ..

It has to be a personal choice, if you are touring and only stopping for one or two nights you won't have a power issue.. if staying for several days or more in all probability you will be on a CL or site and have an ehu ..

As mentioned, for use in the summer, an 80watt solar panel will provide more than enough power.

My choice would be the compressor.. had more than my fair share of gas fridge problems. You won't find many expedition campers with gas fridges..

Do the sums, then try it out.. and if required upgrade the battery and fit a solar panel...

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Yes, I agree with Scojimland,
our compressor fridge (top opening) is great. Great capacity. You can fill it tight - no shelves to get in the way but sometimes awkward getting stuff out, and you can leave it open for a while and not worry about draining all the cold air out!:thumb:
M&A:Smile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Mmm.......I hear you ScotJimland. The fridge in question is the Waeco MDC65 and I think the current drain would be in the arena 20 amps or more per day. I do like the idea of the electric fridge (power to one side) but as it happens the waeco fridge is only fitted to one model in the manufacturers range and for many other reasons we have decided upon a model where the only fridge fitted is Demetic 3 way. Either way I am sure there will be a moment in time when 'I wish I'd bought the other one' :Doh:

We do know however that we like to be 'out there' away from the crowds so we will rarely be on sites, let alone ones with EHU. We know from our camping travels that we are just as likely to stay a while as we are are to keep moving on, so the more energy independent we can be the better (I think):whatthe:

We do like the Outer Hebrides and Northern Scotland so apart from Tiree sun is not alway in abundance (re solar).

Funnily enough, as I write this post I realise that more than ever.....life is indeed a compromise. As was once said to me by a wise old person....."choose your victim"

Cheers :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Mmm.......I hear you ScotJimland. The fridge in question is the Waeco MDC65 and I think the current drain would be in the arena 20 amps or more per day. I do like the idea of the electric fridge (power to one side) but as it happens the waeco fridge is only fitted to one model in the manufacturers range and for many other reasons we have decided upon a model where the only fridge fitted is Demetic 3 way. Either way I am sure there will be a moment in time when 'I wish I'd bought the other one' :Doh:

We do know however that we like to be 'out there' away from the crowds so we will rarely be on sites, let alone ones with EHU. We know from our camping travels that we are just as likely to stay a while as we are are to keep moving on, so the more energy independent we can be the better (I think):whatthe:

We do like the Outer Hebrides and Northern Scotland so apart from Tiree sun is not alway in abundance (re solar).

Funnily enough, as I write this post I realise that more than ever.....life is indeed a compromise. As was once said to me by a wise old person....."choose your victim"

Cheers :Smile:

yes, I hear what you say .. it is always a compromise..

dare I mention a small 1kw sinewave genny for emergency use ... ?

yes, more expense and more payload, but it would give you complete independence .. and if you are 'far from the maddening crowd' only you can hear it .. :winky:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Don't get me going:cry: I've still got a 2kv sine wave genny in the garage from the 'boat days' :whatthe:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would prefer a compressor fridge (I have a large 3 way) for reliabily and saving on gas. However I would find it uneconomic to replace mine while it works, which it will probably do for years.
All the compressor MH fridges I have seen have been very small. Is there any reason why an ordinary domestic A rated one could not be used.

I have a strong suspicion that my fridge is one of those that is too big to go through the door if it did catastrophically break down :Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is there any reason why an ordinary domestic A rated one could not be used.

I have a strong suspicion that my fridge is one of those that is too big to go through the door if it did catastrophically break down :Sad:

No reason why not with a suitable sized inverter .. I believe that's what Vwalan has in his wagon .. I did a post awhile back about converting a small domestic 230v chest freezer into a very good fridge ..

In practice.. it may have a short life being bumped around in a van.. and it won't be as efficient as a purpose made 12v one .. but a hell of a lot cheaper..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back