Buying parts on EBAY from the USA (1 Viewer)

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi All,

I am currently stuck for some parts from the USA.

The problem is, the seller has set Buying Restrictions and I am unable to buy the items.I have tried numerous emails but no reply!!

I have a couple of friends over there.Thought of getting them to bid on my behalf.:Doh:

Any ideas? Has any one else had the same problem and managed to overcome it please?

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
It would appear you have just answered your own question Steve. Get someone in the States to buy on your behalf. Alternatively if the seller advertises a phone number or has a website aside from Ebay, call them and pay by card over the phone.

The restrictions are there for a reason, to stop overseas bidders "inadvertently" (or otherwise) bidding on auctions whereby the seller is not prepared to ship overseas.

Also be aware that some sellers will only ship to confirmed addresses when using Paypal.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Thanks Linda.

I must admit to getting a LITTLE frustrated with US Sellers not selling to us in the UK.

Some of them go over the top to help and to those I say a BIG THANKS.:thumb:

Others seem to put the shutters up.

I have a classic RV approx 29 years old that I'd like to restore to it's former glory.

Not too much to ask I guess.A Labour of Love and Hobby as well.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Their afraid Steve
Afraid if you get it finished, you'll send it back:ROFLMAO:
Geo

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Sreve
you'll probably find if you do find a seller to ship to the UK the cost of shipping usauly cost as much as the parts :Sad:
Hi Tony.

Yes I shipped a Water heater over from the States last year.

Still cost much less than buying it here though and it was very close to the original fitting.

Call me Fanatical, but I am trying to keep everything as near original spec as possible.

There ARE some really helpful companies over there if you approach them from the top (Management):thumb:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Sreve
you'll probably find if you do find a seller to ship to the UK the cost of shipping usauly cost as much as the parts :Sad:

:Cool: Sorry Tony. Incorrect. I have bought several items from the USA MUCH cheaper than can be sourced here. Quicker too. :winky:

Dollars become pounds (from UK sources) and the time taken to deliver is no longer than the parts ordered here. Just a thought. No aspersions cast at ANY Dealers on this FORUM BTW.

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi John JSW
I don't think i'm incorrect because I didn't say parts were not cheaper in the US
I did say the cost of shipping could equal the cost of the parts
I think you read it wrong :Doh:

Mind you I am allowing for age :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi John JSW
I don't think i'm incorrect because I didn't say parts were not cheaper in the US
I did say the cost of shipping could equal the cost of the parts
I think you read it wrong :Doh:

Mind you I am allowing for age :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: Perhaps I should read the post fully before making a reply. :Doh:

You ARE right. The p&p can cost as much as the item. BUT. It is STILL cheaper than you can buy here. :winky:

For instance.
Pair of Headlights sourced in the UK. £158 each and 2 weeks delivery.
Pair of Headlights sourced in the USA. $25 each plus $58 (pair) p&p special delivery in 5 days. :winky:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi

Another problem is that you will be stung unless you are very lucky with VAT and import duty which I had happen and then Fed Express charged me a £12 fee for paying £8.92 duty!:Angry::Angry:

I have heard that a way to get round it is to have the parts wrapped up as birthday presents (Allegedly)!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards Pat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back