Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I was really impressed with my Garmin 1490 in Metz last week-we came into Metz from a different direction than usual and found extensive road works and diversions.As son as I took a different turn from that indicated on the screen 'she' started re-calculating and got us through a myriad of diversions until we arrived at the aire by the river.
On a 'down' note we are displeased with the fact that 'she' often uses road names instead of numbers when we are not in towns,this makes it difficult for Carolyn to follow on the map.Yes.we do use a map as well,mainly to avoid 'short cuts' or 'corner cuts' as they usually are.

Mike.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I was really impressed with my Garmin 1490 in Metz last week-we came into Metz from a different direction than usual and found extensive road works and diversions.As son as I took a different turn from that indicated on the screen 'she' started re-calculating and got us through a myriad of diversions until we arrived at the aire by the river.
[HI]On a 'down' note we are displeased with the fact that 'she' often uses road names instead of numbers[/HI] when we are not in towns,this makes it difficult for Carolyn to follow on the map.Yes.we do use a map as well,mainly to avoid 'short cuts' or 'corner cuts' as they usually are.

Mike.
We have the same garmin so know exactly what you,re saying,especially when the road name is a long spanish one,cant make head or tale of what "she" is saying,safe journey,pete

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hiya Mike I am now on my third Garmin and all still working fine . For me the last two , the Nuvi 865 and Nuvi 2475 miss one very useful feature of the early Streetpilot 2610 in that route options are limited to shortest or fastest , the 2610 had slider controls on motorways, a roads and minor roads which meant you can avoid those nasty short cuts on tiny roads unfortunately it is outdated with no 3d.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the 2610 had slider controls on motorways, a roads and minor roads.

The early TomTom 3 for windows mobile had pages of settings, you could tell it what you wanted on screen and where. They must have thought it too complex and dropped it, but it was joy if you put the effort in.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Got the same Garmin and have the same issue. I've played with the settings tip I'm blue in the face but "she" insists on trying to take us down narrow alleys to save 30 yards. We were in Metz last week and know what you mean about the diversions. And it's a bit tight getting in and out of the aire. We didn't stop there overnight as there were some Traveller types in what looked like a horse transporter with a pack of mangy mutts crapping everywhere. (the dogs that is).

OP
OP
MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Got the same Garmin and have the same issue. I've played with the settings tip I'm blue in the face but "she" insists on trying to take us down narrow alleys to save 30 yards. We were in Metz last week and know what you mean about the diversions. And it's a bit tight getting in and out of the aire. We didn't stop there overnight as there were some Traveller types in what looked like a horse transporter with a pack of mangy mutts crapping everywhere. (the dogs that is).

Er,we parked in between them on Sun 14th ::bigsmile: they were no problem except that when they went to work (we assumed) the dog next to us barked for about 2 hrs.
Had intended staying a couple of nights,but the weather and the fact that the water was off prompted us to move on to Dun sur Meuse on the Mon morn.

Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Er,we parked in between them on Sun 14th ::bigsmile: they were no problem except that when they went to work (we assumed) the dog next to us barked for about 2 hrs.
Had intended staying a couple of nights,but the weather and the fact that the water was off prompted us to move on to Dun sur Meuse on the Mon morn.

Mike.

Tarmac yer drive mister::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back