MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
$(KGrHqF,!pkFB8rCcYZKBQfR-Wl!gg~~60_58.JPG

$(KGrHqF,!jMFBkL010gZBQfR-W5GT!~~60_58.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!i8FBhKRQrYUBQfR-,Nbng~~60_58.JPG

Thinking of getting a class D write off it has slight damage to LH panel any advice on buying this sort of vehicle.
It will need a new window and on bit of trim panel damage i can live with as it is only slight.
It is LH drive 2.5 turbo diesel in genral very good condition.
Also need advice on getting insurance ho will insure class D.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
$(KGrHqF,!pkFB8rCcYZKBQfR-Wl!gg~~60_58.JPG

$(KGrHqF,!jMFBkL010gZBQfR-W5GT!~~60_58.JPG

Thinking of getting a class D write off it has slight damage to LH panel any advice on buying this sort of vehicle.
It will need a new window and on bit of trim panel damage i can live with as it is only slight.
It is LH drive 2.5 turbo diesel in genral very good condition.
Also need advice on getting insurance ho will insure class D.

probably written off as uneconomical repair

bare in mind it will always be a write off

insurance companies will pay out on a lesser value

in the event of a claim

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=78817

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You should be able to get the class D removed as it is only an unecomical repair,

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
You should be able to get the class D removed as it is only an unecomical repair,

Peter
thanks i know it will always be a right of but i usually run things till they expire so as for resale i will get a few years out of it and it will have payed for it shelf it nicer than the one i have with more room its getting insurance for it that worse me will most of the insurance companies look at it? thanks for the reply

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
From memory - it's DVLA and you complete a form and send it off with whatever they want, then the vehicle has to be inspected at the police garage, who have the final say on it being roadworthy or not.

I know my ex-husband went through this procedure several times with cars, but he had to use his trade plates to do so - he was at that time a car body repairer, so it would be that which caused the write off. However, any mechanical faults must also be rectified, so it has to be in a state where an MOT pass would be issued before you take it for the police. (That's even where it has a current MOT) I think that's because they don't further define 'beyond economical repair' to say whether it's just body or it's mechanical)

But anyway, DVLA is your first step. Ask em!

No idea how you would get on without trade-plates.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

I did this exercise with a motorbike a while ago. I do not believe how much all the bits added up to. When I'd finished it was still a bike with uncertain past and obviously repaired. Still I rode it for 18 months.

So have a go but pay as little as possible because you'll end up doing more work than you expect.

Don't be blinkered by the accident damage, it could have been a lemon before, double check it mechanically and for water leakage if any seams have broken and water has leaked in.

No come back on this one, if the central heating is shot, you pay.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I did this exercise with a motorbike a while ago. I do not believe how much all the bits added up to. When I'd finished it was still a bike with uncertain past and obviously repaired. Still I rode it for 18 months.

So have a go but pay as little as possible because you'll end up doing more work than you expect.

Don't be blinkered by the accident damage, it could have been a lemon before, double check it mechanically and for water leakage if any seams have broken and water has leaked in.

No come back on this one, if the central heating is shot, you pay.

been over it with my friend seam's to be nothing to much wrong with it been in touch with a friend of mine he works for vosa and he says that i wont need vehicle identifications check on it as it is only slight damage.
no structural faults no seem damiged had a hose runing over it for almost 1hr no leeks every thing works heating every thing getting a check done shuld get answer from DVLA on monday
and my insurance company will insure it so thank to every on cheers bill:thumb:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
:thanks:
From memory - it's DVLA and you complete a form and send it off with whatever they want, then the vehicle has to be inspected at the police garage, who have the final say on it being roadworthy or not.

I know my ex-husband went through this procedure several times with cars, but he had to use his trade plates to do so - he was at that time a car body repairer, so it would be that which caused the write off. However, any mechanical faults must also be rectified, so it has to be in a state where an MOT pass would be issued before you take it for the police. (That's even where it has a current MOT) I think that's because they don't further define 'beyond economical repair' to say whether it's just body or it's mechanical)

But anyway, DVLA is your first step. Ask em!

No idea how you would get on without trade-plates.
:thumb:
it doesn't need to go to a VOSA test centre un like a cat C whar you have to get confirmation frome VOSA the it isn't cut and shut two welded together stolen or complete right off CAT A CAT B being past off as cat C just normal mot and it is only a reaper to skin and trim it will just need MOT as no structural damage has been noted been checking it out all day been told that if window replaced and missing vent then will be fine for road as ther will be now sharp edges my friend that has a garage that i never though abut asking silly meopp5 cam with me to look it over today so thanks to every one ho contributed :thumb::thanks2:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well it often isn't anything serious at all, especially if you are a welder, paint sprayer etc and don't have to pay someone! LOL OK the parts cost something, but it's usually the labour that kills it.

You used to be able to jig cars quite cheaply in the trade too - husband had a dozer though and it got him out of trouble more than once - but no room for a jig even if he could have afforded one!

It's looking jolly good isn't it? - good luck with your new project !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back