Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We stopped at Marboue on the N10 a couple of weeks ago on the out journey.
It's a very popular aire for us Brits as its handy as a first or last stop from Calais/to Calais. The book says it has space for 10 motorhomes and the spaces are quite well marked.

About 7pm we heard a (French) van backing in and watched it go in so tight to an English van we thought it was going to scrape it!:Eeek: The Brits then moved their van over.
Thing is, the English van was straddling two spaces!:Blush:
Next morning we counted 18 vans!

On the return journey we stopped there again. Loads of vans, well into the overflow area. Counted 17 this time and saw a couple of biggies not able to get in.:Sad:

I think we Brits need to be reminded that in France the 20' rule does not apply and you are expected to park close to other vans even if there is plenty of room to start with!:Smile:
M&A:Cool:::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We stopped at Marboue on the N10 a couple of weeks ago on the out journey.
It's a very popular aire for us Brits as its handy as a first or last stop from Calais/to Calais. The book says it has space for 10 motorhomes and the spaces are quite well marked.

About 7pm we heard a (French) van backing in and watched it go in so tight to an English van we thought it was going to scrape it!:Eeek: The Brits then moved their van over.
Thing is, the English van was straddling two spaces!:Blush:
Next morning we counted 18 vans!

On the return journey we stopped there again. Loads of vans, well into the overflow area. Counted 17 this time and saw a couple of biggies not able to get in.:Sad:

I think we Brits need to be reminded that in France the 20' rule does not apply and you are expected to park close to other vans even if there is plenty of room to start with!:Smile:
M&A:Cool:::bigsmile:

There are exceptions... .. recognize it ?

Attachments

• DSC_5403.jpg
    DSC_5403.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 149

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Marbou is a nice spot and as you say very popular...
If we dont overnight there we use it as a rest stop and to empty the tanks.
If you are not aware there are 2 other aires within 30 mins away and on the N10.

Chateaudun has water, waste and parking at the foot of the old chateau, just be cautious where you park as the local bus does use the car park to turn around in.Nice spot next to the river.

Vendome, follow signs for the campsite. Outside the gate are 6 dedicated places but there is a huge gravel area next to it where vans also stay when busy.
Nice town only 10mins walk away, No facilities other than a drain cover you can lift for grey and toilet dumping.. But free and there is a nice park opposite if you have dogs or kids...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
We had the same problem on the aires at Forges le Eaux..but with a Brit motorhome not a frenchman..the aires at Forges is a HUGE one basically it's a big tarmac parking area lots of Electric Bournes with maybe 6/8 EHU's on each bourne..we were parked up..another guy from Ireland pulled in and parked around a good 15 feet away from us we had a natter as you do..I helped him hook up..then about an hour later jolly boy in his Autotrail decided to park next to me (LITERALLY) he all but clipped my mirrors..There was acres of room but he stayed put..I asked him if he was scared to park on his own he said No Why?.. I mentioned his rather close proximity..had I opened my passenger door.well to be honest he was that close I couldn't open it ..he just ignored me...so we made lots of noise as we were staying another day and night..and didn't have to rush off anywhere..we must have had some sort of shame impact on him as he sneaked off early next morning at around 5am nice and quiet..why if there is all that room do they do it..is it the run with the herd syndrome or what???

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
have been on airres where the french have actually all moved closer so others can get on .
they arent bothered by the personal space thing that uk vanners seem to expect .
they just cram as many as possible on .
i find the french very hospitable and friendly in france .
they can change when in morocco . become colonial then .
but in france squeeze as many on an airre as they can .

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
I had the same problem at Carcasonne.
On the aire outside the city entrance, paid my 10 euros to park and went into the city. Came bach two hours later to find a frenchman returning my mirror to its normal place! Yes he was that close, I was unable to open the habitation door.
I asked him to move over as it was difficult to get in, he refused, I asked him again more forceful terms, he refused.
At this point I reverted to Anglo Saxon and he called the police.

I was told to leave!

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
The truck drivers on here will recognise this as well.
The number of times I have parked up miles from anyone (with my artic fridge) so as not to disturb others, and some numpty parks next to me. Then proceeds to ask if the fridge is going to be running at night !!!!
Course it is, that's why I parked away from everyone else :Doh:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We had the same problem on the aires at Forges le Eaux..but with a Brit motorhome not a frenchman..the aires at Forges is a HUGE one basically it's a big tarmac parking area lots of Electric Bournes with maybe 6/8 EHU's on each bourne..we were parked up..another guy from Ireland pulled in and parked around a good 15 feet away from us we had a natter as you do..I helped him hook up..then about an hour later jolly boy in his Autotrail decided to park next to me (LITERALLY) he all but clipped my mirrors..There was acres of room but he stayed put..I asked him if he was scared to park on his own he said No Why?.. I mentioned his rather close proximity..had I opened my passenger door.well to be honest he was that close I couldn't open it ..he just ignored me...so we made lots of noise as we were staying another day and night..and didn't have to rush off anywhere..we must have had some sort of shame impact on him as he sneaked off early next morning at around 5am nice and quiet..why if there is all that room do they do it..is it the run with the herd syndrome or what???

SHEEP is the word you are looking for MONDO...or as you say are they frightened to be on there own or for backup if somebody knocks on there door late at night :Doh: ...
We always park away from others if we can, always have....not to be anti social ...we have a dog..and not everybody likes dogs......
so the only time we park close is when we have to....
But the French vans...will circle the large empty field or large parking area and you know what is going to happen:Doh:....they slide up next to you.....its being friendly :winky::winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
have been on airres where the french have actually all moved closer so others can get on .
they arent bothered by the personal space thing that uk vanners seem to expect .
they just cram as many as possible on .
i find the french very hospitable and friendly in france .
they can change when in morocco . become colonial then .
but in france squeeze as many on an airre as they can .

This is very true Alan about the French..I was travelling with Smudger/Derek..& Roger / Wildman...down to Portugal..we stopped at Vivonne in the centre of town..there is about 5 places on the Aire...Now Derek / Smudger has a 40' Winnibago American RV rig + 20' James trailer on the back for his Car....not only did we have trouble getting into the Aire but when got there all the places had been used up by French motorhomes ..what did the French do ...they moved for Derek to get in..they put there motrohomes where the cars parked:thumb: a big thank you to those French Motorhomers....
The following day we had a bigger problem trying to get Derek back out of Vivonne town:Eeek::Doh: roads to small with sharp left turns and all the houses close at each side with traffic coming towards us:Eeek: :thumb:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , While in france many years ago , we parked in the middle of an empty car park with our VW devon while we went shopping, only to find when we came back the only other vehicle in the car park (a french person) had parked right alongside quite close, we loaded our shopping and drove off not noticing a scape along the side of VW ( same side as said #*#*#*vehicle) until we reach our aire . Was not happy but as not fluent in da lingo had to put up with it. But still love going to France cant wait for next Sept. Terry:Cool:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
What some of the forriners don't take into account is the fact that on British made vans the hab door is on the 'wrong' side, they do leave you enough room on the other side though usually, so normally once they've had it pointed out to them they are fine about hotching up a bit.

And on the 4 van aire at somewhere I can't recall the name of last time out, 3 vans moved over to accommodate another van. ISTR there would have been room for another at a pinch. We didn't - because we were on one end just the space of the open door away from a low wall next to the 'borne area'.

Pete had stuck the hose on the tap earlier to get the road kill off the screen and had attached the brush for this purpose, and the aire being under trees, I asked him to do his bit for the M/H community and clean the sign, which was absolutely green. Looked lovely when he'd finished!

Mind you we often wonder if it's worth the mfrs putting windows in the hab area for the ones they sell in France because as soon as they get parked, down (or up) go the window blinds!

Looking at Pilotes and Rapdos at the NEC the other day, I said oh good, look! - they have the interlocking fly screen/window blinds - so we can obliterate the world if we have one of these!

Is it compulsory though? We think it must be ......

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
What some of the forriners don't take into account is the fact that on British made vans the hab door is on the 'wrong' side, they do leave you enough room on the other side though usually, so normally once they've had it pointed out to them they are fine about hotching up a bit.

And on the 4 van aire at somewhere I can't recall the name of last time out, 3 vans moved over to accommodate another van. ISTR there would have been room for another at a pinch. We didn't - because we were on one end just the space of the open door away from a low wall next to the 'borne area'.

Pete had stuck the hose on the tap earlier to get the road kill off the screen and had attached the brush for this purpose, and the aire being under trees, I asked him to do his bit for the M/H community and clean the sign, which was absolutely green. Looked lovely when he'd finished!

Mind you we often wonder if it's worth the mfrs putting windows in the hab area for the ones they sell in France because as soon as they get parked, down (or up) go the window blinds!

Looking at Pilotes and Rapdos at the NEC the other day, I said oh good, look! - they have the interlocking fly screen/window blinds - so we can obliterate the world if we have one of these!

Is it compulsory though? We think it must be ......

You are right Sedge..Most Motorhomes do it even the BRITS... as soon as they get parked, down (or up) go the window blinds!..they have there window nets up....then they are out putting up there silver screens covering the front and side windows,.. they have there blind up or down :Eeek: ......they must sit in the dark so nobody can see in and see them:Doh:..... But why...... then they will sit outside and eat:Doh:........we keep ours open all the time, only shut them just before bed

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think its a habit for many eu vanners to use the foil screens it helps keep the interiour cooler in their hot summers .
you may have seen the french conversions with proper rolldown blinds built in to the m,home v. like shop front security shutters . cant remember the name of the company .
but its likt sunroofs you just dont have them over there . certainly not glass ones you would burn your head .
this all part of going abroad to see how they do things different ,and for what reasons . may look daft at first but be quite sensible when you get to find out why.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Well I'm all for pulling down the shutter in Spain or whatever, in rooms you aren't using - often leave it down in the bathroom, makes total sense, or if we are leaving the van for a length of time, it's obvious. But you know, they have their awning out (yes of course, on aires LOL) (but on campsites as well) plus have already parked under a huge tree - but the blinds are still down.

The front screens drive me mad, there's a scramble to beat the Brit to bag the pitch with the best view - and on go the screens! Bugger off and park over there and let ME have the view, please!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We close the window blinds on the sunny side (assuming its sunny) they are reflective and make a big difference to the heat. If all we can see is the side of another van we will keep the blind open for light and air but if it is opposite one of their windows we will close the blind.

yorkinmadoc

Free Member
Oct 13, 2012
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
profile compact
Exp
We were always puzzled when we first came to live in France by the behaviour of motorists in car parks. To explain, I am one of those who always parks in the spot farthest from the shop so that I don't get any dents from other doors ( if you remember the TV add 'the spot the satellite falls on'). However here in France when you come out of the store expecting to see your lone car in the distance there a cars parked all round , even though there are spaces closer to the shop, very strange!!!!:whatthe:
We have asked why this is and no one can tell us.

John:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
That's odd, happens to us in supermarket carparks especially (in the M'H) Park well away from the populated area - half an acre of space round you and when you return with a trolley piled high, you can't open any door more than a foot.

So Pete has to squeeze in and drive over nearer the store where the empty half acre now is, with me shoving the trolley following sullenly behind .....

:Doh:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
We were always puzzled when we first came to live in France by the behaviour of motorists in car parks. To explain, I am one of those who always parks in the spot farthest from the shop so that I don't get any dents from other doors ( if you remember the TV add 'the spot the satellite falls on'). However here in France when you come out of the store expecting to see your lone car in the distance there a cars parked all round , even though there are spaces closer to the shop, very strange!!!!:whatthe:
We have asked why this is and no one can tell us.

John:thumb:

Its the same here in Blighty. I always park my car as far away as I can from others in supermarket car parks. But when I return there is always some tosser who has parked so close to me I can hardly get in my door. If Im forced to park next to another car I drive around and look for a newish well cared for car as opposed to an old banger !
For the sake of getting one more car in why dont the designers of car parks reduce the number in a row by one or two and give us another foot !
Nearly all the damage I have had to cars over the years has happened in car parks !

barry:Smile:

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
You are right about the blinds, Jenny, and the small windows in some huge motorhomes. They do look like security vans.:ROFLMAO: Mind you, I think they can't wait to get the sat dish up so they can watch their favourite soaps!
We have a large 'panoramic' windows both sides, bit like the classic Autosleepers, almost too much when I'm chilling out (snoring maybe:ROFLMAO:). We can't stand net curtains - won't even have them in the house!. My solution was to put in silver micro venetian blinds. We can tilt them down so we can see out but vans next to us don't see everthing that goes on.:winky:

But, to get back to the point I was making about parking up close. I think it is respectful to the French to park up tight - within reason - to allow as many motohomers to use an aire, especially at Marboue which is so popular. The French bloke was quite right to make a point (and a space for himself) as the Brit was taking up far too much space:Smile:
M&A:Smile:::bigsmile:

Last edited:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
If the French see a tree its like a magnet for parking! (shade) as to parking close it depend on how busy the Arie is, I've known French camping car owners to move around to make room bless them. I've also seen vans parked way apart and with bicycles chairs table left to keep plenty of room.(mainly Brits I afraid to say)

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
Well I'm all for pulling down the shutter in Spain or whatever, in rooms you aren't using - often leave it down in the bathroom, makes total sense, or if we are leaving the van for a length of time, it's obvious. But you know, they have their awning out (yes of course, on aires LOL) (but on campsites as well) plus have already parked under a huge tree - but the blinds are still down.

The front screens drive me mad, there's a scramble to beat the Brit to bag the pitch with the best view - and on go the screens! Bugger off and park over there and let ME have the view, please!

With our RV's we have the best of both worlds, day and night blinds, we always have the day blinds down as I have no desire to feel like a lion on display in a zoo with people trying to see inside the RV (which is a common occurance.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Make a bit of space for yourself - this French MH did!

Attachments

• Spread out 1.jpg
    Spread out 1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 32
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I had the same problem at Carcasonne.
On the aire outside the city entrance, paid my 10 euros to park and went into the city. Came bach two hours later to find a frenchman returning my mirror to its normal place! Yes he was that close, I was unable to open the habitation door.
I asked him to move over as it was difficult to get in, he refused, I asked him again more forceful terms, he refused.
At this point I reverted to Anglo Saxon and he called the police.

I was told to leave!

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

I feel very sorry indeed that you had to stand such an attitude....This was not fair at all. I guess the frenchman used the fact you couldn't get what he was saying to the policemen... and probably accused you of something else.... I guess we all have black sheep....

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back