Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
We've possibly seen our next new Burstner MH. Just got to do a visual and then tweak the deal to include some add ons. Which of these do you consider as a waste, worthwhile or essential add ons please?

In no particular order:-

Reversing camera
Solar panel
Second leisure battery
Awning
Safari room
Extra burglar alarm
Anything else? (Wine rack and Sat dish already included as my essentials)

Thanks all, Mary :)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
We've possibly seen our next new Burstner MH. Just got to do a visual and then tweak the deal to include some add ons. Which of these do you consider as a waste, worthwhile or essential add ons please?

Reversing camera Yes
Solar panel Yes
Second leisure battery Yes
Awning No
Safari room No
Extra burglar alarm Yes

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Reversing camera = absolutely but get a twin one that looks back aswel as down ( can reduce insurance )
Solar panel = minimum of 80 watt but bigger is better
Second leisure battery = essential for off grid camping
Awning = waste
Safari room = waste
Extra burglar alarm = if its not a vanbitz dont bother
Anything else? (Wine rack and Sat dish already included as my essentials)sat domes are good but fixed so you may have to park facing the other way to clear trees to get signal where as such as the vu qube can be moved to a clearing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Reversing camera = absolutely but get a twin one that looks back aswel as down ( can reduce insurance )
Solar panel = minimum of 80 watt but bigger is better
Second leisure battery = essential for off grid camping
Awning = waste
Safari room = waste
Extra burglar alarm = if its not a vanbitz dont bother
Anything else? (Wine rack and Sat dish already included as my essentials)sat domes are good but fixed so you may have to park facing the other way to clear trees to get signal where as such as the vu qube can be moved to a clearing.

Personally I would say that the awning and safari room could be essential but it depends on both your layout and your needs. If you don't want to stop for long periods then no need but they are good to have at times, especially if your van layout is such that you don't want to be stuck in the van.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Would only add reversing camera (also used as rear view mirror), alarm - mine's a Cobra

Awning not used in last 12 months.

On hook up on driveway so would not add solar or extra battery - just make sure existing batteries up to scratch.

Buy 'extras' when you find you need them.

Good luck with the new van.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would say rollout awning very useful to keep the sun off, but safari room just extra clutter and weight which will always be in the way and rarely be used.
I also would not bother with Satellite dish as theres nothing on the telly and definitely not a wine rack, the best way to carry wine in a MH is in a box, lighter, space saving and unbreakable.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Safari room essential (for us), anything more than 1 night and I would use it, largish dog also prefers to be in it than the MH.

We had outside TV and gas points fitted as part of the deal and so far (9 months) have not used either.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!

Reversing camera
Solar panel
Second leisure battery
Awning
Safari room
Extra burglar alarm

Hi guys here's my twopennith for what its worth:winky:

Insurance always ask if I have a camera and a good wired one will be a pig to wire DIY so I think worth having done:thumb:

We wild camp a lot, so solar and battery essential, BUT both are quite easy and cheap DIY, 80W solar and 110 bat about £250 or less :thumb:

We have used and enjoyed the awning but not often, so down to your use, do you park up and sit around for days on end? :winky:

Safari room I will never use, so not for us but do you park up and sit around for days on end in the winter maybe?:winky:

I do not have an alarm and our van is relaxing in its locked and CCTV'ed indoor winter storage, but what price is your security? where do you keep your van? but it needs to be good and it don't come any better than vanbitz:thumb:

Anyway whatever you decide I'm sure you will enjoy her so good luck:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Reversing camera
- YES - unless you are able to do it yourself as you can get them off ebay cheap as chips!
Solar panel
- NO - cheap to do yourself if needed
Second leisure battery
- NO - as above
Awning
- YES - can be very expensive to put on so if you will definitely use it go for it
Safari room
- NO - can pick them up on Ebay for a fraction of the cost
Extra burglar alarm
- NO unless you feel happier with one

What about a refillable gas system?

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Thank you all for your advice. We are refining our list of requirements as per some suggestions and certainly an awning and safari room seem superfluous at present. We spoke to someone who had the gas conversion done and I think it will take too long to cover the cost versus return. We'll be pushing up the daisies before then.

So, definitely yes to the reversing camera, a very strong probable on the alarm, and a hard look at the 2nd leisure battery and solar panel, plus a satellite tv system. Time for some research on products and costings now. Vanbitz was my first port of call but his website has issues at the moment.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would suggest the safari room for colder times, and wind stopping nets for warmer.
Cuts down on what we carry during warmer months and the nets go up in a couple of minutes

If you like a bit of telly, add that and either an aerial ( fitted not on a pole ) or sat system

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
As part of a "Deal" I would go for the awning(but not safari room). Expensive & not easy DIY to fit. Awning very useful in sun & rain, use ours a lot in rain.
Also the reversing camera especialy if there is no "through vision" & for insurance discount

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
We've possibly seen our next new Burstner MH. Just got to do a visual

Well a 5 hour round trip to fid out what we don't want! Before we travelled, I didn't even think about looking at the windows... duh. In the lounge there was just one small window on one side and a narrow vista through the kitchen door on the other. It was quite claustrophobic. Hubby & I like to look out the windows and watch the world go by. There is no way we could have done that. Such a shame.

On the good side, I saw and fell in love with another Burstner, this time an A class, with the perfect front and large lounge windows each side, but saddly it had a french bed, rather than a low island or low singles. However, I absolutely fell in love with the front end. Two bench seats, open windows each side, a sensible table. Perfect. So, it's back to the brochures tonight and the NEC again tomorrow. :Smile: I don't feel it was a wasted day, as finding out what I don't want is equally important as discovering that watching the world go by is for me another essential. The £50 in diesel won't matter this time next year, so it doesn't matter too much now.... and I got us home safe and sound, that's the main thing. So a glass of red and back to the brochures. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Thank you Peter, I certainly will. I appreciate your help both here and behind the scenes. Mary :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back