v5 change (1 Viewer)

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
dont know whether i am in the right place here so lets hope so ,has anybody had any dealings with dvla in changing v5 from panel van to motor home as what is required do i fill in motorhome on v5 im sending back or just send covering letter any help much appreciated

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
always best, in my opinion, to sort it facve to face at your local/regional DVLA offices.

you will need photo's of the inside and outside to show you havent just thrown a mattress and 25ltr water barrel in the back

the is a short list of criteria the van must meet before it will be classed as a motorhome.

Bed...can convert from seating
permanent water storage
a fitted cupboard

just a few of the items needed.

recently DVLA have changed the rules and only issue motorcaravan log books using the external appearance as a guide to body type.
so if you have a bog standard van exterior its unlikely you will get it re-registered as a motorhome

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
dont know whether i am in the right place here so lets hope so ,has anybody had any dealings with dvla in changing v5 from panel van to motor home as what is required do i fill in motorhome on v5 im sending back or just send covering letter any help much appreciated

Take photos at least six including a view into the van showing the number plate
And internal of bed assembled and put away
Include one of the table they require it can be a stored item but needs to be seen And a sink also a wardrobe

an outside pic showing a window behind the passenger drivers door not strictly necessary but it makes it easier
To convince them it's a camper

There are a few recommendations on this insurance companies list
Link Removed

I believe you have to prove it can only be used as a mobile dwelling unit

And not a van with a carefully slung mattress and slop bucket

Also there is a club sbmcc that has made a lot of progress with dvla

Surrounding registration problems for self builds

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Like has already been said if you have a local DVLA office use it while it's still there, you will need photo's they will do the paperwork for you and copy the pictures, if not send pictures with covering letter. The van does have to meet certain criteria and it is a little harder to sort if it is a self build you might have to supply reciepts for items that have been purchased for the conversion, it will have to have permament seating,a bed this can be one that is made up from the seating, sink,fixed cooker/hob. storage etc, and should have a fixed water container / tank although they do seem to be willing to allow the use of aquarolls, the table must either be fixed to the sidewall or unit when in use or via a floor fixing such as the fiamma base and leg setup, you can't just have a free standing table. as has also been mentioned the vehicle must also be recognisable as a motorhome from the outside, there is plenty of info on the DVLA website. I would do it quick as there was mention of not being able to do this in the future without getting type aproval in other words someone inspects your vehicle for a massive fee of around £400.

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Sheesh Fulltimer - you mean our motorhome, as per what it says, Swift Bessacar E435 - isn't really a motorcaravan?

According to your post, because the table isn't fixed anywhere to the vehicle, it doesn't count. It's a completely freestanding table on which the legs fold flat against the underside of the top, which stores in clips affixed to the inside of the wardrobe when not in use. There is no way of affixing it to the van when it's in use, and it does have to be used as part of the bed base.

Many older caravans had the same system, eg our Avondale Osprey caravan table used to (specifically) live in the bathroom when not in use either as a table or part of the bed base.

:ROFLMAO:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
Sheesh Fulltimer - you mean our motorhome, as per what it says, Swift Bessacar E435 - isn't really a motorcaravan?

According to your post, because the table isn't fixed anywhere to the vehicle, it doesn't count. It's a completely freestanding table on which the legs fold flat against the underside of the top, which stores in clips affixed to the inside of the wardrobe when not in use. There is no way of affixing it to the van when it's in use, and it does have to be used as part of the bed base.

Many older caravans had the same system, eg our Avondale Osprey caravan table used to (specifically) live in the bathroom when not in use either as a table or part of the bed base.

:ROFLMAO:
I know it's a stupid rule and to be honest I faked the photo in mine as I didn't have anywhere to put brackets and didn't want one of those bases in the floor but technically it is one of the rules shown on the DVLA website, so in answer to your question no in fact you have an ice cream van :roflmto:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
full list of requirements here plus some examples of what they will accept as a motorcaravan and what they won't
Broken Link Removed
pretty sure this info is lifted off the DVLA website where there is more info anyone in the process of a home build should find it usefull.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
thanks for all the replys which are all appreciated i have done photos so will give it a try thanks again

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My Kontiki didn't have a fixed table. And 'looking like a motorhome' is a bit subjective.:Angry:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Posted before But for the benefit of those who have yet to cross swords with DVLA, here is what your up against,
This is NOT according to DVLA a "Recovery Vehicle":Doh::Doh::Doh::RollEyes:
It is a flat bed lorry, end of, not open to discussion:Angry:
If that beds Flat my banana is a circle

Attachments

• doc1 002.jpg
    doc1 002.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.