rabies update (1 Viewer)

Dec 10, 2010
where ever we park up
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
just completed 6th year
Hi Guys and girls - we are off to France mid November and need to make sure the dog is ok - getting conflicting info from Vet and Defra - can anyone help me - many thanks Helen x:winky:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
changes to rules at the beginning of the year, dogs need to be microchipped and need a rabies jab, and pet passport from the vet with the date injection given etc - they no longer do the blood test so once the dog has had the jab you are now free to travel from 1 month later, (before this year you had to wait for bloodtest results and six months after the positive blood test result for the dog to travel)
I assume you keep the normal yearly injections up to date, i also have the kennel cough injection done for my dogs - as it is a nasty virus and its not only dogs in kennels that have it.

Last edited:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We have just had Toby's passport renewed for another 2 years, Rabies injection cost £33 and passport stamped for 2 more years.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
same here

We had the existing passport renewed by the vet for another 2 years.

But you can now just go to the vet with a 3 week window before you go.. they just give the rabies jab no need for it to be sent off.

Our vet in France is now down to €22 in Amiens including all the jabs (even for Ezzie).

Bob:Blush:

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
As it is the first time you are thinking of taking your dog to europe i will give a couple of other bits of info not so important in wintertime but if you should go over during late spring/summer with the dog you should know of these things.
1. Processional caterpillars,- do not let your dog free to sniff in woodland if there are pine trees as the hairs from this caterpillar can quickly kill a dog if it sniffs them up into his system - they are also not good for humans and can cause a very bad rash that lasts quite some time and is very uncomfortable.They are in most Mediterranean countries
http://www.lost-in-france.com/living-in-france/pets/805-processionary-caterpillars
2. Sandfly - These flies live in sandy soil and can infect a dog with a nasty illness that you dont see untill way too late and it can kill, You need a scalibor collar from the vets which will help protect your dog, the flies tend to bite/feed during the hours of dusk before it goes dark.
Broken Link Removed

Dogs can happily travel with you in europe as long as you are aware of these things.

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we use a sandfly collar from the vets

As it is the first time you are thinking of taking your dog to europe i will give a couple of other bits of info not so important in wintertime but if you should go over during late spring/summer with the dog you should know of these things.
1. Processional caterpillars,- do not let your dog free to sniff in woodland if there are pine trees as the hairs from this caterpillar can quickly kill a dog if it sniffs them up into his system - they are also not good for humans and can cause a very bad rash that lasts quite some time and is very uncomfortable.They are in most Mediterranean countries
http://www.lost-in-france.com/living-in-france/pets/805-processionary-caterpillars
2. Sandfly - These flies live in sandy soil and can infect a dog with a nasty illness that you dont see untill way too late and it can kill, You need a scalibor collar from the vets which will help protect your dog, the flies tend to bite/feed during the hours of dusk before it goes dark.
Broken Link Removed

Dogs can happily travel with you in europe as long as you are aware of these things.

If we head South ..even in France we always get a sand fly collar from the vets for Ezzie.. safer than sorry.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If we head South ..even in France we always get a sand fly collar from the vets for Ezzie.. safer than sorry.

Bob

Now these are either very very big Sand flies or the collar is a very very tight fit on Ezzie.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
last time my dog had rabies jab i was told it lasts three years now . actually started in 2007 i just looked at her passport.
you have to be careful in france near pine trees as well. something effects dogs . might be the caterpillars as said . i dont go there anyway . but remember it from somewhere .
heart worm is one to watch in spain but hopefully the worm tablets injections or what ever will stop them .

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The vet we used ar Bernkastel Kues a couple of weeks ago was lovely, no appointment required and only €8 :) As for the rabies jab, I like the fact Izzy had a blood test to confirm it had worked, the rules are too lax now. SOME rabies vaccinations last two years, some three, check the passport to make sure! Jane :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back