Sep 30, 2012
WARWICKSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Tabbert ffb 660
Exp
a few hours ago
Hi all
when planning a motorbike trip i factor in miles per day for comfort and knowing i have to end up either at a camp site or a b&b etc for the overnight, i know in a motorhome you are not restricted in the same way as you can more or less find some where to stop where and when you need or want to ::bigsmile:. but whats the average you guys plan to do a day nice and easy ?????? as have just booked my leave today for next year and am looking at maps allready ha ha ha any advice would be great many thanks terry :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When going abroad I have two settings.
Getting there and exploring.
The getting there mode means 400 miles per day usually. I work on doing 50 miles for each hour on the road. 10 hours on the road with half hour stops every two hours and a 1 hour stop i the middle.

When in exploring mode usually an hour driving a day or 50 miles thereabouts.

In the UK I usually just 1 shot the getting there bit no matter how long it takes.

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
traveling

Dont think there is a magic figure. France ? we get late ferry to Dunkirk. left out of port onto aire on beech and sleep. as and when we awake we set off. if its wet we carry on, iif dry peruse a map and say that looks nice. get there. no more than 2 hrs away. to stay or not to stay????:Doh: you are never far from an aire or safe place to stay. Stay off motorways. look for church steeples always a nice friendly village or small town. sat nav or map. look for a blue blob in a green area,,, its a lake in the wilds. so will have a car park.. thats tonight taken care of.. if we have a destination we plan a route. but not rigid, short trips ? its as far or near nice or not dull or interesting as what you find.. we have a shed with a bed, a kettle and a loo. why do we want to be anywhere. we are always somewhere and bet your life there is somthing you diddnt expect to find.. but thats only my thoughts.
and what my sweet lady says i can think :winky::winky::winky::winky::winky::winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
in my case i tend to travel untill around 3or4pm then park up on a aire. this gives you chance to move on to another one if you find the 1st one full . unless i have a specific place i have to be at i never bother about how many daily miles i do as there is always tomorrow!! if your just going to wild camp along the way then you just park up where you think is safe etc . be advised though, that what can look like a deserted carpark at 11pm can look surprisingly different the next morning when it it has been turned into the local market(ooops!) garry

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
As has been said, if travelling to a destination would do 200 - 250 miles a day, but when just touring around anything from 30 to 80 miles, you will soon work out what suits you, we have been motorhomeing for years. Though admit I do like Froghoppers way of thinking, looking for church steeples (church yards can be a source of water if you are desperate) and the lakes for parking up by.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Much the same here. Never drive at night. Generally parked up by 2 pm never after 4 pm. Have been known to drive for 1 hr in a day and always take a break after 2 hrs driving. If your on a tight schedule and have to be there and back I suppose its different, thank goodness we are never in a hurry now.
The drive is the adventure...........The destination is to get fuel.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
It depends on your circumstances....if you are working and are on leave, and you only have one week or two weeks...and you need to get to a set camp site because you are booked in......then you get there as safely and as quick as you can.:winky::winky:
Now if you are one of the Silver Campers/a Golden Motor homer/a Wrinkly...then there is no rush........we just set a route with lots of places to stop at, some we stop at, some we don't........
NO RUSH:Cool:..NO WORK ::bigsmile:..
We may only do just 15km..to..50km...to..100km..to..300km....in a day...We never work to a set km (miles).per day...
We do travel in the morning......
If we are heading home and we have an appointment then we quicken up:thumb:
You have all you want onboard..... .....just a few things you need,.. a place to stop....you may need water...may need a place to empty grey and cassette...that's it...just enjoy what's around you,...Terry if you go slow you will see all ....go fast see nowt. :thumb:

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi bit like above . these days we never plan . in the past have passed many places that you think that looks nice but dont stop as its only just a few mile from where you stopped lastnight . now we stop , check it out fully . this year we have nearly 6 months to get from santander back to santander .
avoiding tolls ,motorways . etc . try to al;ways take a small road where ever you can that looks like its going roughly in the right direction . or have an adventure . does it matter where it goes . the best taps ,places to stay are always on that nice road to nowhere .

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If we wanna get there then 400ish miles ( sometimes 500+ if we really wanna get there !! ), but if bimbling we normally plan stops at ABOUT 200 mile intervals

But to put this in to a perspective that you can relate to, it is far from unknown for me and Woman to do lake Garda in a day on the bike or in the Smart car !

OP
OP
MRKBENZ
Sep 30, 2012
WARWICKSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Tabbert ffb 660
Exp
a few hours ago
thanks so much all for your responses found them all helpfull and informative we are both looking forward to the adventure
regards Terry and Sue :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Seriously, best advise I can offer ( for what its worth ! ) is just do what you feel comfy at.

It took me years to get in to the bimble thing.. still not REALLY there yet but getting better, and woman has at least convinced me to stop for lunch nowadays !

I spent years doing dispatch work.. A 15 hour drive is an easy sting for me even now, but I know that more than 3 or 4 hours without break is NOT what Maureen enjoys, so I have had to reign myself in to suit..

And to be honest, I am kinda hoping I will eventually learn that a 20 mile hop is just the same as a 200 mile one if the destination is different to where we left !

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
miles per day

We once rode from Berlin to home (North of London) in a day but I don't recommend that.

We like to get to the area that we have chosen to ride - so 400-500 miles per day. Once in the area 40-50 miles with plenty of sight seeing and leisurely lunches are our ideal.

But what ever you do have a great time and enjoy it. :thumb:

We don't tour on bikes anymore and I miss our bike tours.:Sad:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
like many i drove trucks for a living . 500miles a day is no problem even at the restricted speeds .but that was work .
m,homeing is a pleasure yes we can all go mental if needed.
a few years ago i drove from sagres to santander in 18 hrs . and lost all gears except 4th on the way . had to get there my dad had just died . but really dont want to drive like that ,hopefully never have to .
enjoy the drive its not a race.
dont set a place. then where ever you are is great.
you just dont know whats round that corner .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We usually have a lack of time and need to get there. Tend to leave early (seven ish) and drive 350 -400 miles per day. We stop every hour for a short break and half an hour for lunch.We are usually parked up by 3.30-4pm.

Would love to have the time to meander through France though.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Quote from a TV programme .......

" The plan is ..........................There is no plan ! "
Like others my target time is 3pm. to sort out a spot to stop, but if I see an attractive place to stay, I will ! Once it was as much as 20 kilometres further down the road !:ROFLMAO:

In just over 4 weeks time I will be doing just that starting from Dunkirk !! No rush to head South !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

For me, the journey starts at Marine Parade with a Macaroni Cheese and chips the night before the ferry !:thumb::thumb::thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
in my case i tend to travel untill around 3or4pm then park up on a aire. this gives you chance to move on to another one if you find the 1st one full . unless i have a specific place i have to be at i never bother about how many daily miles i do as there is always tomorrow!! if your just going to wild camp along the way then you just park up where you think is safe etc . be advised though, that what can look like a deserted carpark at 11pm can look surprisingly different the next morning when it it has been turned into the local market(ooops!) garry

Very true. The reverse is also true. On a couple of occasions on our recent scandinavia trip we stopped in quiet, apparently secluded, rest areas at 4 to 5 pm, but by 10 pm had become totally surrounded by lorries stopping for the night. Not that this caused any major issues apart from the noise of them arriving and in some cases leaving early morning. Many swedish rest areas include loo emptying and water facilities so this gives a false sence of security!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
when planning a motorbike trip i factor in miles per day for comfort and knowing i have to end up either at a camp site or a b&b etc for the overnight

I've got in mind that it was easier on the bike, keep going as needed or until the noise from behind gets a problem then look for a hotel. There are many many more hotels than campsites, so easier by bike.

Anyway 300 a day is a good target for a lumbering MH that eats fuel if you cruise over 60. More if you know you have a pitch you can drive onto later.

I take my hat off to Champers, they did Calais to Marjal with one stop this year.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
You are asking the wrong people....you want the young-ones, the boy racers.... the truckers...people chasing there tails :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....not the Motorhomers..Us Silver campers, Wrinklies, steady eddies, Coffin dodgers..:Doh:....
What's the rush...tiredness,fatigue,stress, heart attacks:Doh:...is something we try our best to avoid...:Doh:
We try to keep the wooden box/coffin at a distance as far away as possible:winky::winky:....so sloooooooooooow down....do not encourage it to come closer.............:Eeek:.....
Life is so short...don't shorten it:thumb:enjoy it::bigsmile::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, we like to take it easy. Even when 'en route' to a far off destination, we still stick to about 200 -250 miles a day maximum. Being retired helps, so there usually aren't any time constraints - we just stop over when and where we like - wild it, on an aire or even a campsite if something takes our fancy.

Once we are in our chosen touring area we might move only 10 - 50 miles a day. :thumb:

Mike

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Just a few miles really!
Drive around a nice area, visit a town or so ,go to the satnav poi and go campsites (downloaded from here) and just let it take me there.
It`s like a lucky dip what the site turns out to be like--some ok--some good :thumb:
I do not like deadlines, i do that all week !

walmic

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
bridlington
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
how long is a piece of string!!!!!!!

we vary---anthing up to 400miles in a day depending what day, where, weather conditions, do we need to reach a place by a deadline.

one thing we don't like doing is driving in the dark---so it's usually park up time by teatime!!!

examples!!! if we are going to Italy/Croatia then this year it was:
Zeebruge to Molsheim ( france) 360miles
Molsheim to Bellinzona 240miles
a short trip to Garda
garda to Vrsar 240miles

now that's fine if 2 of the days are at a weekend with no LORRIES!!!!---garda round to trieste during the week is murder!!!!!

If we are off to spain through france then it's
Calais to Poitiers
Poitiers to north of Zaragozza
then wherever!!!

A friend of mine did one of the longest one day drives I have heard of---SILLY BOY--- off the ferry from greece at venice then drove in one go to namur (belgium ) all so he could get to "tobacco road" and the ferry next day!!

Oct 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
RS Evo
I think i win the award for the least thought out journey. i drove (Back in 1995) from Saint Malo in France to Gandia in Spain. This was after a full day's work in St Helier in Jersey , then a car ferry from Jersey to St Malo. The drive took 12 hours - 7pm to 7am - and I only pulled over for 20 minutes rest on one occasion. Looking back I actually enjoyed it. My much loved wife was asleep for most of the journey, so she didn't complain about going a little bit too fast.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I find relying on distance alone can get you on trouble. Use Google maps to give you a rough idea of travel time. Some days I've averaged 45mph, other days it's nearer 30mph.

We've just done a two week trip around Europe. We didn't have a detailed plan beyond a loose loop drawn on a map. We tend to get up early, drive for an hour or two, park up and then explore for the day. Hopping to a new location every day. Some days were sacrificed to driving most of the day with just an hour stop-off to see something interesting. Some places needed more than an afternoon of exploring, so we arrived late and stopped two nights. I think we averaged 100 miles per day.

Other people will stomp down 500 miles in a day, but then not move for a week.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think i win the award for the least thought out journey. i drove (Back in 1995) from Saint Malo in France to Gandia in Spain. This was after a full day's work in St Helier in Jersey , then a car ferry from Jersey to St Malo. The drive took 12 hours - 7pm to 7am - and I only pulled over for 20 minutes rest on one occasion. Looking back I actually enjoyed it. My much loved wife was asleep for most of the journey, so she didn't complain about going a little bit too fast.

My longest drive in a day was Grenoble to Birmingham, avoiding toll roads.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Wow, is this the record for the oldest thread revival? over 10 years!

For reference we tend to do up to 300 miles if heading somewhere, but tend to stick to "b" roads and plod along at 50-55mph.

We have 4 weeks of in November, and are considering heading for Spain, so will probably be doing 300+ per day to get there and back, but will stop on the way if we find somewhere exceptional, or we get a couple of fantastic days weatherwise.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We did a few trips abroad on the Beemer, using B&Bs. We had an ultimate destination although i only remember one, lake Como, also went to France and Spain on other trips. We travelled for maximum 4 hours a day, my backside couldn't take more although we did have stops on the way. This was pre satnav days had our route in a plastic hikers map bag hanging down john's back and a shoulder thump for route changes :LOL:. It wasn't all about the bike we went to places we wanted to visit on route, had some lovely experiences, cars being taken out of garages so the bike could be put inside, in one hotel, no charge for the bike parking as it didn't take up much room. With the motorhome we sometimes have an end idea like the Italian lakes this time, or just a country and follow our noses or the sun or where friends we have made are heading for, then off on our own again. we take the KTM most of the time now, so best of both worlds. Have a wonderful time.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
if I have nothing planned leave home head north, south east or west and see what happens search for sites or google maps find campsites if need leccy

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Longest was Issoire to Calais and then Dover to Portsmouth but that was in a Ford Focus not the motorhome. Six hundred and something miles. Bit arduous.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
About 350 in the van as stop every couple of hours for a break and pups have a pee/sniff, mostly try for around 200 every few days when moving on.
650 in the car back from Germany and it wasn’t to bad.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
UK ?? miles per day
EU ??? Ks per day
Aussy ????????????????????Ks per day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.