ypress (1 Viewer)

speed080

Free Member
May 28, 2010
Funster No
Hi all,We are hoping to go to Ypres and the Menin gate in mid jan, but are concerned about our van and low emission zones. our van is a autotrail scout on a sprinter 312 auto 1998 vintage.Any help with this and any info on places to camp en route from Yorkshire would be great as this will be our first trip over the water Thanks in advance Dave

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Hi.

We are going to ypres in ten days time, we cross via the tunnel then spend the night in the ferrie terminal.

I dont think you will have any problem with emisions we went to ypres with an american two years ago no problem,we are also stopping on the campsight there this year.:Smile:

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
Just got back from Ypres (Ieper) last week. The campsite is within easy walking distance of the Menin Gate and I saw no references to emissions while there.

A very moving visit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We were in Ypres last week at the end of our 6 week tour of France. The campsite there is good. Automated entry (with a credit card) or there is someone there to let you in if you want to pay cash after 4 p.m.
The only problem we had was finding the campsite as there were no signposts.
It's an easy walk to Menin Gate and the Last Post ever night at 8p.m. is very moving. The museum (called In Flanders Field) is fantastic. Lots of muti media exhibits (films etc.) and very balanced in its presentation of what happened. It was a real eye opener for us.
Great little town with lots of interesting things to do and good shops.
As for getting there from Yorkshire - if you can afford it I would go from Hull to Zeebrugge. It's an easy drive from the port. We were on a budget and did Dunkirk to Calais and then regretted it as the ferry was 2 hours late. We would have been better off on the tunnel.
Have fun!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I presume you mean the London low emission zone?

Provided you stay on the M25 you are ok and then exit to use the M20 or A2 Coastbound. You will stay outside the LEZ.:thumb:

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Just got back from Ypres (Ieper) last week. The campsite is within easy walking distance of the Menin Gate and I saw no references to emissions while there.

A very moving visit.

Where is your new camper Stuart?:Smile:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi, I visited the Menin Gate a month ago. If you don't need a site then just 200 yards from the gate is a road set up for motor homes overnight. Here 50°50'58.41" N 2°53'33.78" E if you have Google earth.

Please visit the museum and eat at Jo's Cafe in the evening.

Chateaubriand very good 60 euros for two.......

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
No emissions controls in Belgium at present :Smile: we are taking our old girl 1986 Merc 207d

We are going to Iepers for the Remembrance parade on the 11/11/2012 @ 11.00am
also the Remembrance Concert at the Cathedral of Saint Martin and Saint Nicholas Iepers @ 16.30 hours

http://www.lastpost.be/en/x/4957

Also staying at the Campsite as everwhere is very busy during this weekend

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hi, I visited the Menin Gate a month ago. If you don't need a site then just 200 yards from the gate is a road set up for motor homes overnight. Here 50°50'58.41" N 2°53'33.78" E if you have Google earth.

Please visit the museum and eat at Jo's Cafe in the evening.

Chateaubriand very good 60 euros for two.......

I saw those parking places Popeye and wondered but there was no sign to say you could park up on them. They are hard standing and just set back from the road. There are road works at the gate so you can't drive down towards it. You would have to go in from the other end of that road and we didn't work out how to do that. This site is so good for these bits of info. Thanks again.

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
I saw those parking places Popeye and wondered but there was no sign to say you could park up on them. They are hard standing and just set back from the road. There are road works at the gate so you can't drive down towards it. You would have to go in from the other end of that road and we didn't work out how to do that. This site is so good for these bits of info. Thanks again.

You can enter the road from a turning just past the "Crack" furniture store and loop round :thumb:

You used to be able to drive all the way down but they have put a gate halfway down, although if the end is shut at the Menin gate i expect the gate will be open

Last edited:

54mud

Free Member
Sep 18, 2009
Stone, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
24 on and off
The campsite in Ypres is signposted when coming in from the east, as we found it and did not know there was one.

Attachments

• Ypres Campsite.jpg
    Ypres Campsite.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 20

stig60

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Keighley
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
since 2010
Was in Ypres a month ago. Stayed at site about 10 min walk from Menin Gate, the site is on Bolwerkstraat. It is near to the sports stadium http://www.jeugdstadion.be/E/index.php

The ceremony at the Menin gate starts at 8pm prompt every night but get there early!
A visit to Tyne cot cemetery is a must.

No emission problems in Belgium, we went Dover to Dunkirk caught a late ferry and parked up in car park next to ferry terminal. Dunkirk is approx 1 hours drive to Ypres.

We come from Yorks and usually go A1, A14, M11 & M25

Stew

Curtisden

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Near Goudhurst Kent
Funster No
MH
High top 6m Panel Camper
Exp
Newbie but 25 Years towing.
Ypres

I always park next to the walls and moat, right out of the gate (South) and you will find loads of free parking. We then head for a late ferry home after the toot. Been many times and will be there for the 11th this year. Make a fitting end to a trip over the sea.
As we live 25 miles from Dover its works out cheaper to catch a late crossing and go home.
Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back