Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just compiling a list of places to to go in the U.K. this winter, Generally we 2-3 night breaks at places we always wanted to see. Looking at Brooklands, anyone been there and done the Concorde Experience (British Airways Flight Simulator):Smile: Last year done Duxford,Bristol (ss Great Britain) York (Nation Railway Museum) plus a few others,Any other recommendations:thumb:?

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Just compiling a list of places to to go in the U.K. this winter, Generally we 2-3 night breaks at places we always wanted to see. Looking at Brooklands, anyone been there and done the Concorde Experience (British Airways Flight Simulator):Smile: Last year done Duxford,Bristol (ss Great Britain) York (Nation Railway Museum) plus a few others,Any other recommendations:thumb:?
Used to live within walking distance of Brooklands two years ago. Nearest campsites are Chertsey or Walton dont recommend wild camping in the area. If you have a toad then ideal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Oh yes, Manchester Museum of Science and Industry.

Manchester was once the centre of the world for advanced engineering. It's all in there, steam, electricity, aviation.

Whilst there the War Museum of the North is worth doing as well-It's main theme is 'The Chaos of War' and there are some interesting or even scary experiences to be had.

Mike

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If you make it up to Scotland try the Transport Museum in Glasgow its free and a great day out.

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I work at Brooklands :Smile: and my son is a volunteer.
It is definately worth a visit.
The concorde experience is a tour of 35min. and will only cost another £4.00 on top of your entry fee. The rest of the exhibits are free. Besides all the cars and a F1 simulator ( free ) we have the hangar with eg. the Wellington bomber and the whole aircraft park which houses the VC10 that used to belong to the Sultan of Oman, Viscount, Vanguard and Varsity. You can walk up the bit of banking that is left and you can visit the London bus museum. Have a look at www.brooklandsmuseum.com
This Sunday we have the autumn motorsport day and 65 cars ( Single seats F1 Bennetons, Italian classics and historics will race in the morning at Mercedes Benz world ( which is next door) and in the afternoon our test hill is in action.

Maddie

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my mother still has my grandads racing trophies from brooklands

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
mum has them out on display despite being told they should be in the safe. Sadly dont think it will be too many years before they are my responsibility. they will cost on the house insurance being huge and solid silver, but the family history is worth more to us than monetary value.

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
There is a lot of info in the library at the museum about the drivers and their races, specially if they were racing for Brooklands but not so much if they raced for a car club ( if that makes sense)

Maddie

OP
OP
Geoffers

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I work at Brooklands :Smile: and my son is a volunteer.
It is definately worth a visit.
The concorde experience is a tour of 35min. and will only cost another £4.00 on top of your entry fee. The rest of the exhibits are free. Besides all the cars and a F1 simulator ( free ) we have the hangar with eg. the Wellington bomber and the whole aircraft park which houses the VC10 that used to belong to the Sultan of Oman, Viscount, Vanguard and Varsity. You can walk up the bit of banking that is left and you can visit the London bus museum. Have a look at www.brooklandsmuseum.com
This Sunday we have the autumn motorsport day and 65 cars ( Single seats F1 Bennetons, Italian classics and historics will race in the morning at Mercedes Benz world ( which is next door) and in the afternoon our test hill is in action.

Maddie

Thanks which is the best camp site to head for ? we would use the toad for Brooklands.Sounds like a must do.:thumb:

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I would stay at Chertsey CCC.

Let me know when you are coming in as I am not always there.

Maddie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back