LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Hi having been away the this wk/end had her in doors complaining that she was cold at night i was wondering if it was safe to leave on the heating at night ,I was not sure and did not want to take the risk i've got gas/electric trauma blow air heating any help would be appreciated?:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no reason why not except the cost of gas and battery usage if not on mains hookup.

the heater is a 'sealed from room' unit so no chance of CO fumes.

for future reference, if you have hookup then a small oil filled radiator will be a better option.....no gas used so a saving from the start.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As a fulltimer I have mine on 24/7. Never had a problem.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
I leave my Truama blow heat on all night at a lowere setting of 500kw and find its fine all night, dont use gas as usually on electric hookup

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
As has already been said it's perfectly safe either on gas or electric, another alternative if you have room to fit them are the little tube heaters like these
Link Removed
when I built the motorhome I made provision for these under the seat bases so the warm air came up behind the backrests inbetween the backrest and sidewall, also have one in the washroom very low wattage and give a good background heat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
With a decent duvet we've found no need for overnight heating but, if a frost risk, leave the (gas) water heater on low to stop the dump valve opening.
A bugger if you need to get up for a pee during the night though
Weather-Freezing.gif

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we set the stat and it comes on as and when needed

We set the stat and it kicks in when it reaches the set temp it shuts down. OK runs on LPG and the battery or EHU turns it on. But in 4 years of use never had an issue.

Bob

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Give 'er a cuddle, you never know (friction developes heat donnit?) Either way, rebuff or Giday darl!, friction, YEH:thumb:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
When its starts getting colder, I have the blown air heating on about number 3 during the day, and at night turn it up to about 5 if its very cold (goes up to 9) and let the thermostat do the work.
I have no problem leaving it on all the time, as I am mainly off hook up,
But please ensure you have a carbon monoide alarm.
I have been camping when one has legitimately gone off in a motorhome:whatthe:

S

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
When its starts getting colder, I have the blown air heating on about number 3 during the day, and at night turn it up to about 5 if its very cold (goes up to 9) and let the thermostat do the work.
I have no problem leaving it on all the time, as I am mainly off hook up,
But please ensure you have a carbon monoide alarm.
I have been camping when one has legitimately gone off in a motorhome:whatthe:

S

Good suggestion sue.
We have had one for 7 years in the MH but we had it placed near the ceiling and have just found out last week that they should be near the floor as Carbon monoxide vapours sinks unlike smoke so wouldn't be any use near the ceiling, so we have placed ours near the floor on the wall beside the door.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Good suggestion sue.
We have had one for 7 years in the MH but we had it placed near the ceiling and have just found out last week that they should be near the floor as Carbon monoxide vapours sinks unlike smoke so wouldn't be any use near the ceiling, so we have placed ours near the floor on the wall beside the door.
This made me think.I,ve recently fitted a couple of these,the instructions definately said fit near the ceiling,so this is where they are.On such an important decision you may never get a second chance of getting it right.So which is right high,low or maybe middle.Googled it,as you do:active:,and got this:

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-gar...electricity/guides/carbon-monoxide-detectors/
Keeping the room ventilated and the flue maintained has to be a good start.
We dont use heating at the moment our old german dethleffs got good insulation.pete

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Heatting

Hi

I would be interested to know peoples experience of the drain on the leisure battery by the fan when using the Truma Blown heater sysytem off mains.

Doug

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
The drain is qiute small once you are up to temperature. When we first bought the bus it only had 1 battery. We lasted 2 nights with the heating on a around 3 hrs a night TV. The temp dropped to -3 at night. There was still some power left in the battery when we left

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
have used the Truma blown heating the last twice been away at weekends on EHU on almost 24/7 no drain on leisure battery

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Heating

Hi

No Eye testing needed.

Sort of slipI would make

Doug

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi

I would be interested to know peoples experience of the drain on the leisure battery by the fan when using the Truma Blown heater sysytem off mains.

Doug
I dont know about the Truma but our system has a fan and normal leisure batteries were as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

But with our Webasto diesel heating we had no problems keeping warm 24/7 even in below -12 temps for 5 days and nights up in Aviemore skiing a couple of years ago. Without any hook up too.
We do have 2 Trojan batteries though which are excellent :thumb:
We just set to the temp required on the Webasto and it regulates itself .
It even keeps the whole motorhome warm when driving along . So no kids sat in the lounge freezing in coats.:sin:

Johno1

Free Member
May 10, 2010
North East England,
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
newbie, ex caravaner
Hi

Doug

Hi, from recent experience using the Truma combi boiler blown air heating plus satelite dome with 19" tv and a few LED lights I was seeing 6.0 amps out from leisure batteries, this will reduce as and when fan cuts out,but have decided that for calcs to use 6 amps as the winter benchmark for battery use of an evening.

fenboyandy

Free Member
Oct 1, 2012
barking
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Hi having been away the this wk/end had her in doors complaining that she was cold at night i was wondering if it was safe to leave on the heating at night ,I was not sure and did not want to take the risk i've got gas/electric trauma blow air heating any help would be appreciated?:Eeek:

Truma Combi E left on low all night (on hook up) - no problem. 22degC inside vs 10degC outside = nice and toastie!

We have a CO alarm in the van just in case

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi

Doug

When we bought out van in January we were a bit concerned about how much power the blown air system (Truma C3402, gas only) would take as we had only had a convector heater in the previous van. Nothing to worry about as it turned out. The fan takes a couple of amps for up to an hour to bring the van up to temperature then takes hardly any power maintaining the temperature.

We had an 80W solar panel fitted which has, so far, kept our 85Ah battery well topped up despite having to use the heating more than we might have expected to cope with the vagaries of the weather at Peterborough and Lincoln shows.

sampain

Free Member
Sep 1, 2012
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I would endorse the comments about a CO alarm.
We got ours from Amazon it has a sealed battery with a 7 year life and it has a digital readout.
It cost about £22 and I saw a cheaper one in the range without the sealed battery or digital readout in Maplin at £34.99.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back