Questions about MPG fuel saving and Motorhome show (1 Viewer)

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hello everyone

I would appreciate some advice on fuel saving and models if you can please.

Still looking for my first motorhome but in the meantime because I just can't wait to hit the road, I've just bought a cheap Ford Tourneo camper, not wonderfully kitted out yet but adequate for a few days away. I was advised to try a camper before I buy my motorhome.
I have been researching trying to find what kind of mpg to expect. It seems that the average is about 25mpg, but should I expect to change my driving style in a Motorhome to accomodate this, ie: driving about 50mph is apparently the optimal speed to get best mpg.

I'm quite taken with Burstner aviano at the moment but very pricey. Any suggestions about models and any warnings about pitfalls would be most welcome.

Thinking of attending the Motorhome show at the NEC, if anyone has been previous years I'd like to know what you thought of it. I'm a newbie so I'm hoping I'll learn a thing or two and hopefully make a few friends along the way.

Many thanks in advance :thumb:
Gary

Desperate to get started !!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi Gary
with mpg its not all down to driving style although it helps. what you must remember is your engine is moving 3.5 tonnes around with the average motorhome when loaded and its as aerodynamic as a housebrick

I find that taking a relaxed style to driving the van is best for economy and blood pressure. low revs and always be in the correct gear for the terrain, but stay below 60 even on the motorway. we see the journey as part of the holiday and tend not to rush unless we have to.

we have the 3.0l manual, which has tonnes of power available. currently get 25 - 26 mpg. the 2.3l has to work a little harder but achieves similar figures if driven sensibly. if you are looking at the older model before 2004, I used to find the gear ratios wrong on the 2.8l so slightly thirstier although with an ecu remap mpg is slightly better by about 2mpg

going to the NEC show is a great way to see all the new vans, but you do really need to either visit 2 days or get there early and stay all day. just too much to see. not so bad if youve narrowed your search, as then you can focus on discount. play the dealers against each other as they will be very keen to make sales

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi and welcome,

I can't offer advice on which one to buy as that is a quite a personal choice thingy.

On the MPG. it is not just the speed you drive at but also how aggressive you are on the acceleration and braking.

I short shift, ie change gear closer to 2,000 rpm. I take my foot off the throttle early, don't drive too close to avoid braking/acceleration cycles. I try to avoid using more than half to 2/3rds throttle.

I get over 30mpg in my 3.5T fully loaded van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gazza280

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks

Thanks Grommet for your advice.

I want to go full time so I found your blog very interesting, I'll keep checking back.
Planning to spend a lot of time abroad so all advice is valuable.:thumb:

Gary

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gazza280

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks

Thanks Big1 for the invaluable advice, I'll be doing a fair amount of driving so I'll have to take a more relaxed attitude to driving the van. I do have a tendency to drive faster and over rev in the car.
I'm looking forward to the show so its good to know its worth the long travel from the south coast.

Many thanks Gary:thumb:

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have a Burstner Aviano. No complaints at all good quality. As you say though pricey. I think they are going for about £75k new these days whereas we bought ours new in 2008 for £47k. The weaker Euro has pushed up the price I think.

Even if I had 75k I wouldn't spend it on an Aviano to be honest.

I don't like the layout of ours and that's what you really need to concentrate on more than the make of the van in my view. So look at lots of different vans.

As someone posted on here recently a good test as to whether you have the right layout is a wet weekend stuck in the van.Try to imagine that when viewing vans. A wet weekend stuck in mine would drive me nuts.

Good luck:thumb:

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Looked at Bailey Approach 760 yesterday.

Perfect layout for me and £45k new.

No real boot though which we need with the amount of [STRIKE]shi[/STRIKE] stuff my wife likes to pack:shout:::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Based on the fact that 25mpg is about average, I would put the relative economies fairly well down the list of priorities when making a purchase decision. I looked at it in the context of a few MPG and relatively low annual mileage against the 50K spend on the van......... and went for a 3 litre engine which is actually more economical at 26.8mpg over 7k miles than the previous 2 litre which only managed 24.7mpg simply because it was struggling most of the time, even when remapped. The big engine is really relaxing to drive.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Can only add to advice already given - if you are spending a lot of time in the van then layout is key - I wouldn't buy a van without either a fixed bed or a pull down (A class)
Vans are advertised from 2 to 6 berth - you might sleep more than 2 in a MH but you would not want to - as already mentioned - spend a wet weekend with so many, so ignore 'berths' - just find the van with the space and storage that you need.
If it's a diesel always go for the biggest engine in the range - just as economical as a smaller one but a lot easier to drive

Good luck

Upvote 0

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
There are so many layouts....so there must be a huge number of different priorities from different folks.

We looked at a lot of motorhomes.........its all about compromise. Eventually I we made our own list.

For me ..I wanted an automatic...2 double beds ( one each) and a big garage
and I wanted one around 2 years old with low mileage.

We went for a C class in the end.for practical reasons.and ended up with an Auto trail Cheyenne we waited several months to get everything we wanted.

Added a dome sat......a panel on the roof.......and it is good.

Suits us ..........but there is no simple answer as to what is best for you

Don't take you chequebook !!!!! Use the show to put your list together.

barry:Smile:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
LOL - when we bought ours, the only one thing we were both adamant about was No Fixed Bed. They are a complete waste of space. We said. Went for an overcab, just as well really, where would we put the (reclining) chairs whilst going along if we didn't stow em up there?

The overcab of course enhances the un-aerodynamic profile, to that of a con block with a housebrick on top of it at the front.

Guess what folks?

We are now looking for - Fixed double bed over a garage, with sensible steps not a stupid ladder and headroom, plus as much length of settee as you can shoehorn in, please!

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
LOL - when we bought ours, the only one thing we were both adamant about was No Fixed Bed. They are a complete waste of space. We said. Went for an overcab, just as well really, where would we put the (reclining) chairs whilst going along if we didn't stow em up there?

The overcab of course enhances the un-aerodynamic profile, to that of a con block with a housebrick on top of it at the front.

Guess what folks?

We are now looking for - Fixed double bed over a garage, with sensible steps not a stupid ladder and headroom, plus as much length of settee as you can shoehorn in, please!

I love the look of ours but boy there is a lot of wasted space. The boot is great , the fixed bed is great and the pull down cab bed is great but only when you are sleeping. The fixed bed just compromises the living space too much unless you go for an 8m plus van.

Summer isn't really an issue for me as you spend time outside but I hate with a vengeance Winter nights crowded round a dinette with the cab chairs swivelled. Half of you can't see the tv and it requires contortionist techniques if someone on the inside seats wants to go to the loo.

Ok for 2 though I suppose.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If anyone is interested though the Bailey Approach SE 760 I looked at yesterday ticked a lot of my boxes. Overcab double bed( quite steep steps), dinette with 4 belted seats that converts to a double, and a rear u shaped lounge that again goes into a double.

Genuine 6 berth but a bit ugly on the outside.Spacious feel inside with bags of head room ( how many times have I hit my head on our pull down?:Angry:)

If we got one we would probably leave the dinette bed semi permanently made up once on site.

Not sure if Bailey are any good mind.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If anyone is interested though the Bailey Approach SE 760 I looked at yesterday ticked a lot of my boxes. Overcab double bed( quite steep steps), dinette with 4 belted seats that converts to a double, and a rear u shaped lounge that again goes into a double.

Genuine 6 berth but a bit ugly on the outside.Spacious feel inside with bags of head room ( how many times have I hit my head on our pull down?:Angry:)

If we got one we would probably leave the dinette bed semi permanently made up once on site.

Not sure if Bailey are any good mind.

I considered a Bailey to replace our Autotrail 700... However it did not tick all my boxes, especially storage .

The new big lockers on the Autotrail 700's now give a lot of extra space that was wasted on previous versions, has a front dinette (only 2 belts unless you have an optional upgrade) plus the U lounge.. Yes, you have to make the bed But thats less than 2 mins so no real issues and I have a lovely lounge to sit in during the day/evening while I watch others sat in their swivel cab seats all the time...:thumb:

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I considered a Bailey to replace our Autotrail 700... However it did not tick all my boxes, especially storage .

The new big lockers on the Autotrail 700's now give a lot of extra space that was wasted on previous versions, has a front dinette (only 2 belts unless you have an optional upgrade) plus the U lounge.. Yes, you have to make the bed But thats less than 2 mins so no real issues and I have a lovely lounge to sit in during the day/evening while I watch others sat in their swivel cab seats all the time...:thumb:

The Appache 700 is exactly what my wife is currently looking at. Looks a nice van and has everything we want. More pleasing on the eye as well.

Looks like Johns Cross sell them as well so another plus point:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back