Fresh water hose and connectors (1 Viewer)

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Hi all just bought a motorhome but need a fresh water hose and connectors to site taps and van. Can anyone recommend a decent make and/ or website to buy from. Thanks

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
First thing is you need a food grade hose. As to fittings, I carry a range as different sites have different tap fittings.

We have a [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fill-Up-Water-Tank-Filling-Hose/dp/B0041GKNCE"]Fill Up 5[/ame] which is fine if you're not too far from a tap.

For our current van (as the filler is on the other side so not so close to our outdoor tap at home) I bought a Cassette Hose. I found it difficult to roll up so (following a tip from a Funster) cut a couple of metres off it and keep the extra bit rolled up in the box with the fittings.

I also bought a Heos filler cap (you have to buy vented or non-vented according to your van's need) but that was just to make it easier for me.

All these products are available at various prices from various places.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I would agree with Graham (GJH) on the various hoses and tap fittings you will need .... we also carry a couple of ordinary 10l garden water cans, these can sometimes be more convenient than laying out hose or moving the m/h to the tap.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
To pick up on what Brian said. We also have a 25 litre jerry can (which I move on a collapsible trolley) with a 2 metre hose and submersible pump. It's a carry-over from our previous van, which had a smaller tank, but still useful if we stay in one place for several days and the fill-up tap is some distance away (e.g. a show or other rally).

Upvote 0

Pigwam

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Chester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I agree with everyone so far.

when we first got a MH I made the mistake of getting a non food grade hose thinking theres £20 difference its just a different colour, how wrong I was.

We have the equipment in work to check on the bug count on things, so checked the hose after left for a week the bug count was very high so its now a garden hose in the shed. Bought a food grade one done the same test although a little higher than after the first sterilisation nothing to worry about, so don't skimp and do buy the proper food grade type hose.

we always take 2 aqua-rolls and bought a cheap submersible whale pump off ebay (left over from our trailer tent days) one for fresh water (blue) and one for waste water (grey) so we dont have to move the MH to fill up if we stay somewhere for more than a few days, the curse of having a small water tank.

the filler cap is a great idea saw them on ebay and thought it was a gimmick, but after trying to fill the tank with just a hose, i soon bought one and as someone else has suggested do make up a set of different connections.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
First thing is you need a food grade hose. As to fittings, I carry a range as different sites have different tap fittings.

We have a Fill Up 5 which is fine if you're not too far from a tap.

For our current van (as the filler is on the other side so not so close to our outdoor tap at home) I bought a Cassette Hose. I found it difficult to roll up so (following a tip from a Funster) cut a couple of metres off it and keep the extra bit rolled up in the box with the fittings.

I also bought a Heos filler cap (you have to buy vented or non-vented according to your van's need) but that was just to make it easier for me.

To pick up on what Brian said. We also have a 25 litre jerry can (which I move on a collapsible trolley) with a 2 metre hose and submersible pump. It's a carry-over from our previous van, which had a smaller tank, but still useful if we stay in one place for several days and the fill-up tap is some distance away (e.g. a show or other rally).

food grade hose eh!!! and whats on the end of it, a Hoze-lok fitting i bet, and they aint food grade.

25ltr jerry can.....is that food grade ?, i doubt it.

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We carry drinking water in 2x5 litre food grade gerry cans, easy to carry.
The tank gets filled with a regular hose and if a top is required without moving we use a 12 litre watering can.
Over 2 yrs now and sterilised the water tank once, don't bother anymore and still healthy.

My hose reel in my side locker next to my fill point, I can reach over 30ft
DSC0102-L.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
food grade hose eh!!! and whats on the end of it, a Hoze-lok fitting i bet, and they aint food grade.
True - but easier to keep clean than the inside of the hose ::bigsmile:

25ltr jerry can.....is that food grade ?, i doubt it.

White plastic, supposed to be for fresh water when we got it ::bigsmile:

The hoses and can haven't killed us yet anyway ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Some of us choose to fill up a disposable PET bottle on site for drinking and fill up our onboard with an ordinary hose and just use that water for washing.

Food grade hoses are fine, but once the water is introduced into a non-sterile environment bugs can develop. Of course, tap water has chloride added to kill some bugs but unless you empty your tank regularly and/or add sterilising products the effect of the chloride is compromised.

The two-litre cheapo ASDA, Aldi or similar water bottles (YES, I KNOW THEY ARE TAP WATER!) provide a supply of bottles which personally I refill half a dozen times before binning.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I say 'don't underestimate the value of a plastic watering can'. :thumb:

Carry various hoses on board but only ever used one of them - just once over two years ago!

Fill to between half and two-thirds with a hosepipe at home before departure, then use the watering can as we go. :thumb:

Not long returned from almost four weeks in France - no problem.

Mike

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fermenter

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Flat hose

We have a Fill Up 5 which is fine if you're not too far from a tap.

Graham

I have read some reviews on flat hoses and they don't seem very user friendly as people say you have to unfurl the entire hose and they crack. What is your experiences. Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fermenter

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
We carry drinking water in 2x5 litre food grade gerry cans, easy to carry.
The tank gets filled with a regular hose and if a top is required without moving we use a 12 litre watering can.
Over 2 yrs now and sterilised the water tank once, don't bother anymore and still healthy.

My hose reel in my side locker next to my fill point, I can reach over 30ft
DSC0102-L.jpg

Techno so is your hose just a non food grade eg from B&Q? Thanks

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
As others we use a couple of 5litre plastic containers for drinking water, for filling onboard tank have 3 lengths of hose all with hoselock connectors lengths, 6, 8 & 10 metres, usually manage to get close enough to use one on its own. Failing that we use straight connectors. The hoses are stored with ends joined together using straight connectors to keep dust/ insects out.

Always flush through hose into a drain (or whatever) before filling tank. We also use a Heos filler cap a brilliant piece of kit, saves having to hold hose and cuts down splashback, I've seen tome strange home made bent pieces of copper tube and the like fitted to hose ends over last couple of years:Eeek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not really bothered what we fill ours with, or where from.....

Link Removed takes care of the water.

price has gone up somewhat in the last 5 years though, i paid £145.

Upvote 0

Pigwam

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Chester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Not really bothered what we fill ours with, or where from.....

Link Removed takes care of the water.

price has gone up somewhat in the last 5 years though, i paid £145.

I've been looking at this for a while, showed it to the Bio Consultant we use at work he thought it was quite a good spec although a bit expensive,

so John what do you really think of it, would you buy one again and how often do you change the filter?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've been looking at this for a while, showed it to the Bio Consultant we use at work he thought it was quite a good spec although a bit expensive,

so John what do you really think of it, would you buy one again and how often do you change the filter?
If i had to buy another then Yes i would.

filter cartridge only needs changing when the flow rate diminishes to an unusable level.

i remove the cartridge each winter, allow it dry fully, stick it in a resealable bag and then store away for the next season.

still on the original cartridge and flow rate is the same (pi$$ poor to start with compared to the normal tap :Sad:) as when i bought it but i just bought a replacement from a funster for a very good price so may change it next year.

from their website.

The Structured Matrix
TM
cartridge should be replaced when the water flow
diminishes, or if tastes or odors are noticed or after 500 gallons. Cartridge life will
vary with water quality, but averages about 500 gallons.
For long term storage, remove cartridge from purifier and allow to air dry. Store in a
clean dry area.

500 gallons (or 2250 ltrs) is a lot of water if use solely for drinking...we use the regular tap for kettle filling/cooking etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
'Food grade'? Didn't think that had anything to do with the material in terms of surface bug count. Anything can harbour bacteria, including surgical instruments when chucked into a motorhome locker! Food grade hoses aren't one use only sealed in sterile hospital packs are they?
I think think the difference is in the type of plastic and the plasticisers used to keep them soft and flexible. The standard scare story is that some plastics contain pthalates which are said to leach into the water. These have a level of toxicity and may mimic hormones. If I notice I have DD boobs any time soon I'll change my hose.
The issue may be more serious for bottles designed for longer drink storage or warm baby milk but many litres of cold water per minute passing through a hose is not an issue, I would suggest. Minimal contact.
Not to say any hose won't become an exotic bug garden if the fittings are not kept clean or tainted water is left inside. But that applies to our tanks and pipes too.
But in the end, how much water do you actually drink straight from the tap, compared to what we cook and wash in?
:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham

I have read some reviews on flat hoses and they don't seem very user friendly as people say you have to unfurl the entire hose and they crack. What is your experiences. Thanks

Yes you have to unfurl the entire hose but I haven't had any cracking problems (only had it since March). I had a similar garden hose many years ago and didn't have cracking problems either. The only problem I have had is difficulty in reeling it back but, as mentioned, solved that by chopping a bit off. I mainly bought it to allow part filling of the tank at home from our outside tap. I used to be able to move the other van close enough for the Fill Up hose but can't with the current one.

Interesting comments from others about bugs. I flush through the system with some Aquatabs or similar when the van hasn't been used for several weeks but if it is only a week or two usually empty the tank and refill, flushing through just with the tap water.

In our first van we used to drink from the tank without thought until the water had a sort of TCP taste at a temporary venue. We then switched to using a 5 litre container but still had taste problems when the supply was from a bowser (noticed it at Stratford last year). It wasn't possible to fit a Nature Pure to the previous van so we started using a filter jug, which solves the taste problem. It may be possible to fit a Nature Pure to the current van but we haven't felt the need to investigate it yet. Most water we drink is boiled first anyway and usually from a mains supply.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
rather than the cheap plastic hozelock fittings, we use brass ones (£2.50 ish). these connected to food grade hose purchased locally for about £7

so it doesnt have to cost a fortune

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use this system Broken Link Removed
now have a shower via a morco water heater but the pump and filter have been ideal . change the filter ocasionally .. mind this one is ceramic and you can scrub them .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back