Help needed with laptop HP computer wizards (1 Viewer)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We purchased a new laptop, HP pavilion g6...g6-1372ea..widows 7., While we were in the UK.
I am having trouble trying to wifi the new laptop to my home desktop computer...My home computer is a Medion/ vista

My old acer and my new 1 one year old hp netbook, connect by wifi fine to the desktop without any problems.
I had already installed a "3" dongle, a "3" mifi and mobile partner while I was in the uk...

Now back in France and I want to connect to my desk top by wifi.
when the new laptop is on, it see's the livebox/hub wifi full strength...I have tried to connect by entering the code/key supplied by orange but it will not connect, most of times it does not show a box for me to enter the code....but when the box is there it does not except the code...I have also tried switching the livebox off waiting 15 secs and restarting the livebox again.....but no Joy..
Is there something I can do or is there something I am doing wrong, as all my others have worked ok....mainly by restarting the live box.

Mel

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm not entirely sure what you're saying Mel but I think it is that you cannot see the contents of your desktop from the new machine.

I assume that when you say "when the new laptop is on, it see's the livebox/hub wifi full strength" that means that it sees your ISP's connection so can get out onto the Internet.

Could it be that the new laptop and your other machines are set up with different network names - so that each can "see" the Internet but not each other?

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I'm not entirely sure what you're saying Mel but I think it is that you cannot see the contents of your desktop from the new machine.

I assume that when you say "when the new laptop is on, it see's the livebox/hub wifi full strength" that means that it sees your ISP's connection so can get out onto the Internet.

Could it be that the new laptop and your other machines are set up with different network names - so that each can "see" the Internet but not each other?

Graham....I want to connect to the internet on the new laptop by wifi to my orange livebox/desktop computer....this so we can use the laptop upstairs

(Could it be that the new laptop and your other machines are set up with different network names - so that each can "see" the Internet but not each other?) how would I know

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Sometimes you need to temporarily disable the firewall and antivirus while connecting, then enable it again when its on.

Have you tried connecting the laptop via ethernet first Mel? Just to see that it connects 100% ok to the internet via a wired connection. I would do that as a troubleshooting step.

Delete the old wireless network settings on the HP and set up a new wireless network again via network settings - if it doesn't connect then you can run the trouble shooter to see if it can be repaired. Windows 7 is usually quite stable in this respect and I have one of these HP laptops as well, so should be no problem connecting, but there may well be an address conflict somewhere. I would connect via wired first, then delete all the old wireless settings and redo a new one, like I said, and see if that helps.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[/COLOR]

Graham....I want to connect to the internet on the new laptop by wifi to my orange livebox/desktop computer....this so we can use the laptop upstairs

AFAIK the Orange Livebox is simply a wireless ADSL router to which any computer in range (and with the necessary password) should be able to connect. Connection of the laptop shouldn't be affected by connection (or not) of the desktop - unless, for some reason I don't know of, the configuration of the Livebox has to be updated in some way from the desktop

(Could it be that the new laptop and your other machines are set up with different network names - so that each can "see" the Internet but not each other?) how would I know

Mel

You can see the network(s) that the laptop and/or desktop are connected to in Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network and Sharing Center. If the two network names are different (e.g. one being a name you have chosen and the other being the Windows default) then both laptop and desktop could be connected to the Internet but not see each other.

Unfortunately without being hands on it is a bit difficult but if this doesn't solve it hopefully it will bump the thread.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i helped a friend with the same problem recently. it turned out to be a problem with the wireless card driver on the laptop/ try updating

then when you click on connect, read the page that comes up carefully. is it asking for a passphrase or a PIN number. these are different

if you can see it, click on the blue link that says click here to enter passphrase

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Sometimes you need to temporarily disable the firewall and antivirus while connecting, then enable it again when its on.

Have you tried connecting the laptop via ethernet first Mel? Just to see that it connects 100% ok to the internet via a wired connection. I would do that as a troubleshooting step.

Delete the old wireless network settings on the HP and set up a new wireless network again via network settings - if it doesn't connect then you can run the trouble shooter to see if it can be repaired. Windows 7 is usually quite stable in this respect and I have one of these HP laptops as well, so should be no problem connecting, but there may well be an address conflict somewhere. I would connect via wired first, then delete all the old wireless settings and redo a new one, like I said, and see if that helps.

Yes I have tried the cable ethernet....hard wired ..and yes it works and goes onto the internet ok.
I have removed uninstalled the "3" dongle and the "3" mifi and run trouble shooter but it does not fix it...i will try removing networks ..but not sure which and what to disconnect ??

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
i helped a friend with the same problem recently. it turned out to be a problem with the wireless card driver on the laptop/ try updating

then when you click on connect, read the page that comes up carefully. is it asking for a passphrase or a PIN number. these are different

if you can see it, click on the blue link that says click here to enter passphrase

How would you update if you are not on the internet

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
AFAIK the Orange Livebox is simply a wireless ADSL router to which any computer in range (and with the necessary password) should be able to connect. Connection of the laptop shouldn't be affected by connection (or not) of the desktop - unless, for some reason I don't know of, the configuration of the Livebox has to be updated in some way from the desktop

You can see the network(s) that the laptop and/or desktop are connected to in Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network and Sharing Center. If the two network names are different (e.g. one being a name you have chosen and the other being the Windows default) then both laptop and desktop could be connected to the Internet but not see each other.

Unfortunately without being hands on it is a bit difficult but if this doesn't solve it hopefully it will bump the thread.

Yes I agree without being hands on it is differcult!

Frankie

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
Hi, I had the same problem a few years ago with my live box, after hours of trying I went into router settings to check password, entered this and I seem to remember pressing one of the pairing buttons on back of router while connecting,worked for me:Smile:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi, I had the same problem a few years ago with my live box, after hours of trying I went into router settings to check password, entered this and I seem to remember pressing one of the pairing buttons on back of router while connecting,worked for me:Smile:

Where do I find this info.... I went into router settings to check password...as you may be right:Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
you need to plug in the ethernet cable and navigate to 192.168.1.1 to get into settings

look here for more help on this
Broken Link Removed

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
was there one router where you had to press a button to allow it to connect to a PC? From memory that was Orange, (the box not the button)

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
was there one router where you had to press a button to allow it to connect to a PC? From memory that was Orange, (the box not the button)

Yes you are correct Dave...I must have tried it about 20 to 30 times ...no Joy...Mel:thumb:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
you need to plug in the ethernet cable and navigate to 192.168.1.1 to get into settings

Broken Link Removed

Big 1...this code password....what is it for...as it only shows to type ADMIN....
Is it the code of the livebox that the laptop needs to enter to recognise, that is the one I want to check..in case it is different to the one one I keep entering on the laptop....

About 8 years ago I had trouble with a previous desk top I purchased from PC world BUT I had paid for European cover...had lots of trouble with it...so a local engineer came out to rectify ...being paid most of the cost by PC world and the rest by me....
But after that we did have trouble connecting new laptops to wifi to the orange box but over come that by pressing the button on the live box.....but this one does not want to accept the code or start from pressing the button....

So did the engineer change the code on the live box!!!??? as he tried to get one of our early laptops connected but did have problems:Doh: don't know may just be a coincidence

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I would try and log onto the router, take the encryption / wep whatever off and then see if you can get in, then if you can, change the WEP or whatever key and add it to all the other PC's.

I suspect someone may have changed the 'key'.

Failing thatm you could always reset teh router to factory standard and start again..

Just a thought,,,

By the way we will be in France after the 18th October,,,,

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
How many digits is your Livebox key Mel, and which model Livebox have you got?

Ours has - Livebox - 2020 and Livebox 2 FR on a label, also supplied by Ornage.

The key is 26 didgits long and although I can't accurately remember whether the spaces between the blocks of 4 digits have to be set as spaces or not, I think the letters in the key had to be capitals.

I do know that we and visitors have used this key in maybe 10's of instances without trouble on all sorts of devices.

None of this is gospel but the part about capitals I'm fairly sure is correct but I do have a poor memory...

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Big 1...this code password....what is it for...as it only shows to type ADMIN....
Is it the code of the livebox that the laptop needs to enter to recognise, that is the one I want to check..in case it is different to the one one I keep entering on the laptop....

About 8 years ago I had trouble with a previous desk top I purchased from PC world BUT I had paid for European cover...had lots of trouble with it...so a local engineer came out to rectify ...being paid most of the cost by PC world and the rest by me....
But after that we did have trouble connecting new laptops to wifi to the orange box but over come that by pressing the button on the live box.....but this one does not want to accept the code or start from pressing the button....

So did the engineer change the code on the live box!!!??? as he tried to get one of our early laptops connected but did have problems:Doh: don't know may just be a coincidence

to get into settings on router, BOTH username and password are admin

when in settings you will be able to change the passphrase to connect wireless devices.

as dave suggested above, try turning security off temporarily to rule out other problems. this wont solve the driver issue i found though, as it only affects connecting with wireless security enabled which of course you need for safety. so switching the security back on recreates the problem

this is difficult to help you with without seeing the screen and having hands on

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Broken Link Removed

I would like to say a big thank you to big1...that is the information I was wanting to find out if the Cle I was entering was correct ...this where it seemed to be braking down, Not accepting the cle/key.....well the cle/key was nothing like what I was entering... so things must have been changed 8 years ago when the local french engineer was working on the duff computer from PC world:Doh:altered info:Sad::Doh::cry:....

Also the original 20+ digit code was in capitals with gaps.....not the one in the set up:Eeek:

The web address that big1 sent, although the screen shots was nothing like what was coming up on my screen ...it let me IN::bigsmile: and from there I could find the info I wanted:thumb:
Put the correct cle in the correct case and how it was set up... and bingo.....we are now on wifi with the new laptop

I would say a big thank you to Big1, GJH, camcondor, Frankie, ShiftZZ, veevee. for all your time and help...sent by the new laptop....Mel
:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
you're very welcome :thumb: