scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Some useful info here

Link Removed

so what's your Top Tip for buying abroad ?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Quick nip to Adinkerke from Calais or Dunkerque for baccy. Much cheaper than France. At least one place is 24/7 (although it's not actually in Adinkerke itself but you'll find it on the internet and it's dead easy - lorry park!) so no matter if it's early or late.

Brioche tranche (Harry's !)

Poulain (Grand Arome) drinking chocolate (and bar chocolate when you can get it) because it's much finer, much higher cocoa solids than the stuff we get here.

In season:
Reine Claude plums cos there are never greengages for sale in UK ever.
Nectarines blanches for the same reason

Shallots

Minced pork and herb etc mix for stuffing tomatoes, making into burgers or (skinless) sausages. Sometimes have to buy loose off the butchery counter but if it's pre-packed it will say 'pour le farce' or 'pour (eg) tomates farcies' (the verb farcer is to stuff; farcie means stuffed)

Any fresh sausage (usually with the BBQ meats in supermarkets) because it's high meat content and tastes of meat instead of mashed up pink rusk

Veal if you like it - it's certainly no cheaper in France but it's a lot more available than UK

This time of year we are getting towards the Marron (chestnuts) season. Some of em are Appelation Controllee with prices to match if you are a connoisseur! Ditto mushrooms of all sorts - don't think they have an Appelation, mind you!

Trophychap's No 1 wine tip - go to the supermarket where all the French cars are parked as the article says, then if you aren't already certain exactly what you want - station yourself on the wine section for a while and watch what the locals are buying!

Bakeware, cookware, kitchenware, crockery and cutlery, esp of course - knives. They have a FAR greater choice in the Hypermarches. And we had some v. good quality towels from (I think) LeClerc - end of range and mega cheap, I said well if they fall apart when I wash em, we've lost nothing. 3 years later, in regular use throughout and no sign of them deteriorating. 6 steak knives, ditto.

And you chaps will love the Bricolage shops!

Keep out of the Garden sections; the large pots etc are sooo tempting but take up a lot of room for the next fortnight !

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Oh sorry, you wanted one Top Tip? OK.

Enjoy!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi if your off to morocco look out for argon oil.
you can use it for cooking its lovely .but these days its being sold in uk for a fortune for use as hair oil and skin oil . we buy it by the gallon .
i use it alot while cooking makes a special taste that really gives the moroccan taste .

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
hi if your off to morocco look out for argon oil.
you can use it for cooking its lovely .but these days its being sold in uk for a fortune for use as hair oil and skin oil . we buy it by the gallon .
i use it alot while cooking makes a special taste that really gives the moroccan taste .

Broken Link Removedis a miracle solution for:
Lines and Wrinkles
Acne
Age Spots
Scars
Psoriasis and Eczema
Stretch Marks
Dry/Frizzy/Damaged Hair

I've just ordered 5 litres :roflmto:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Poulain (Grand Arome) drinking chocolate (and bar chocolate when you can get it) because it's much finer, much higher cocoa solids than the stuff we get here.

This time of year we are getting towards the Marron (chestnuts) season. Some of em are Appelation Controllee with prices to match if you are a connoisseur! Ditto mushrooms of all sorts - don't think they have an Appelation, mind you!

Poulain :thumb: I buy some 1848 as well -It has higher cocoa content,then I use 2 teaspoons Grand Arome to 1 teaspoon 1848 ::bigsmile:

Marron- To roast them a 'poele a marrons' is the 'must buy utensil ::bigsmile:

Mike.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes they have been using it for years . only grows in morocco i believe . but now it gets fancy names here like argonine and the likes . they dont say about the goats eat the fleshy nuts shit the stones out then the women collect the stones /nuts .crush then to get the oil etc . we try to get ours from a family with a small farm up the hills behind tahgazoute . you can actually watch it being made or extracted . all very interesting .
getting pricy in morocco now due to world demand .

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
supermarket in main street in salou cheapest spirits i have ever bought ie: litre smirnoff £8 litre southern comfort £11

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
In France:

Fuel - Elf stations seem to be cheaper than most, but supermarket fuel can be up to 20 cents a litre less than Autoroute services so it's worth a detour to save a tenner filling an 80 litre tank.

Long-sleeved teeshirts and summer shorts - I always go for special offers on Tex Basic in Carrefour, either at Easter or end of summer. Wearing French togs makes you look less obviously like a British tourist as well. Has anyone else noticed the apparent British obsession with camouflage shorts?

Wine - I'm not very sophisticated with wine so I look for the grape varieties I like then only buy bottles in the 3-4 Euro range with Gold, Silver, or Bronze prize stickers on them from national wine shows. We're rarely disappointed.

Beer - I don't buy lager in Britain any more, I just stock up on crates of supermarket 33 Export every time we're in France. Cheap and cheerful.

If you drink bottled water abroad, the bigger the container the cheaper the water.

French supermarkets have their equivalent of Sainsburys Basics - in Leclerc items are labelled Eco+

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back