Spyware help (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I entered a site last week that was given to me where you could watch unlimited football, when i did i was bombarded with loads of adverts and the upshot is I appear to have inherited some Adware, Namely Babylon.Toolbar, I've done a search on this and the recommendation is to download 'Spybot Search and Destroy' to get shut of it, fair enough I've done this, run the application and it has recognized Babylon as something that it would be wise not to have on my PC, I've pressed the button to get shut of it but it comes back as saying I don't have administering rights to delete it. It's my PC and I am the administer so where do I go from here? Grommet, Scotchjim, Help Please:Doh:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Toolbar should be in the programs menu.

Go to COMPUTER > ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS > PROGRAMS > INSTALL/UNINSTALL LIST.

Scan down, right click and uninstall.

If you don't have a antivirus, you may have window defender, or can download it free from microsoft.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
first thing is you,ll get owt for nowt on the internet so get rid of spybot.
Go to add remove programs and uninstall spybot and then babylon toolbar,you may have to press F8 on startup to go into safe mode for this.
You also have to go into Internet explorer options and change the homepage from babylon to your usual one, e.g google.do the same if you,re using firefox.remove any babylon add-ons.
Follow instructions from here and you hopefully will get rid:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVJa1K_yvco[/ame]
best of luck.
If all else fails backup you,re docs.pics ,favourites etc,then wipe the system and re-install,its quicker sometimes.then get a good piece of system protection software with real time protection.
best of luck.pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Spybot Search and Destroy used to be a fantastic bit of software. I still use it now and again to clean up friends and family PC's that have visited dodgy sites.
It has always been an excellent bit of software for getting rid of unwanted software that is not actually a virus or worm.

To run it as administrator check out these instructions straight from MS.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff431742.aspx

The spybot entry for the Babylon Toolbar can be found here.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=61869

OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Toolbar should be in the programs menu.

Go to COMPUTER > ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS > PROGRAMS > INSTALL/UNINSTALL LIST.

Scan down, right click and uninstall.

If you don't have a antivirus, you may have window defender, or can download it free from microsoft.
Thanks for that but I,d already deleted Babylon from there but the tab is still on my search page

OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Spybot Search and Destroy used to be a fantastic bit of software. I still use it now and again to clean up friends and family PC's that have visited dodgy sites.
It has always been an excellent bit of software for getting rid of unwanted software that is not actually a virus or worm.

To run it as administrator check out these instructions straight from MS.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff431742.aspx

The spybot entry for the Babylon Toolbar can be found here.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=61869

Hi Grommet
I installed spy bot and followed your link for admin rights, ran the programme and it fetched up Babylon and a couple more bits of adware, pressed the fix button and it cleared the other couple but Babylon is still there, it says it might be still running in memory, I gave it permission to run on start up but it still didn't clear, do I do what left legger suggests and clear my system?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks for that but I,d already deleted Babylon from there but the tab is still on my search page

Hi .. just caught up with this thread.. we all get caught occasionally with an unwanted toolbar or other trash program.. just using the windows unistaller won't remove fully, it leaves unwanted files and folders and registry entries..

to fully remove any program I use Revo Uninstaller..

Been using this for many years, and yes it's FREE .. you don't need to upgrade to pro..

I also agree with Karl, spy bot and malwarebytes are excellent tools ..

another excellent tool for cleaning up isLink Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi .. just caught up with this thread.. we all get caught occasionally with an unwanted toolbar or other trash program.. just using the windows unistaller won't remove fully, it leaves unwanted files and folders and registry entries..

Been using this for many years, and yes it's FREE .. you don't need to upgrade to pro..

thanks for info Jim, I've tried CC Cleaner but still got Babylon, I'll try Revo tonight but for now I'm going out, I've had enough:Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thanks for info Jim, I've tried CC Cleaner but still got Babylon, I'll try Revo tonight but for now I'm going out, I've had enough:Doh:

don't blame you .. :roflmto:

Revo will get rid of it.. any questions about how to use just shout out .. or PM me...

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004

Thanks for that, I just downloaded that and I had babylon on my IE toolbar without me realizing it as I have been using chrome for ages I soon got rid, took about one minute,
This forum is truly great.
I also use CCcleaner, thats great too.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
The Babylon tool bar is notoriously difficult to remove, you think you have got rid only for it to re-appear, sometimes the only way to get it completly removed is to go into the registry and remove every reference to it, but you need to be confident in using regedit, if not leave well alone.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ccleaner is good as well. I have only had to use it once in the past.

Because I am computer literate I prefer not to use these tools and do things manually. I understand things like the registry etc so hunting down unwanted tool bars is usually fairly straight forward for me. I usually only get caught out once ever year or two.

However when asked to look at my nephews and other family members computers they have so much junk installed I tend to use spybot to clear the vast majority of the junk and then pick over the remains manually.

If things like this happen to you regularly it may be worth learning a bit about how to use boolean searches on google and searching for the manual methods to remove these things. It can be a bit time consuming the first few times but you will get quicker at it and then won't have the panic when it does happen. It also means you won't need to install all this extra malware software which uses resources and slows your computer down.

The biggest tip I could recommend is using Adblock Plus and NoScript. Along with installing this hosts file. http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Obviously this won't help with software installers that install these bloody irritating tool bars but it will reduce the malware on your computer installed by websites.

OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Grrrrrrrrr,
I've run Spybot S&D, that found Babylon but wouldn't let me delete it, I loaded Revo but that didn't find it, I ran Spybot from start up, again it didn't delete it but the next time I ran Spybot it didn't find Babylon, I let it run its full course and it came up with a message at the the 'Congratulations all clear'. I opened Google chrome again and the tab was still there 'Babylon Search' I searched all through the Files and Folders on 'C' could not find any trace anywhere but did find Google Tool Bar so I deleted that, Bingo opened up Chrome and there was a basic Chrome page with no Babylon tabs, I then synced with Chrome and the tool bar came back WITH THE BABYLON SEARCH TAB.... Spybot can't find it now, where is the tinker hiding!!! once again Help please:Doh::Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Grrrrrrrrr,
I've run Spybot S&D, that found Babylon but wouldn't let me delete it, I loaded Revo but that didn't find it, I ran Spybot from start up, again it didn't delete it but the next time I ran Spybot it didn't find Babylon, I let it run its full course and it came up with a message at the the 'Congratulations all clear'. I opened Google chrome again and the tab was still there 'Babylon Search' I searched all through the Files and Folders on 'C' could not find any trace anywhere but did find Google Tool Bar so I deleted that, Bingo opened up Chrome and there was a basic Chrome page with no Babylon tabs, I then synced with Chrome and the tool bar came back WITH THE BABYLON SEARCH TAB.... Spybot can't find it now, where is the tinker hiding!!! once again Help please:Doh::Doh:

Hi .. got your pm

I'm just about out of suggestions.. :Sad:
looks like a Karl job..

if not already tried.. Go to Chrome settings, then extensions and see if it's lurking there .. if so bin it

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi .. got your pm

I'm just about out of suggestions.. :Sad:
looks like a Karl job..

Would love to help unfortunately I am a hands on type. Not very good at it if I can't put my hands on the keyboard sorry. More a doer than a teacher :Doh::Sad:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
It will be in the regitsry

Open regedit
click Edit
Find
Type in Babylon in the find what box
Delete
click F3 to find more
delete until it finds no more
close regedit

Job done

Happy Days

But DON'T and I mean DON'T delete anything else

OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
It's gone:thanks::thanks:
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, I blitzed the blighter with CC cleaner, Spybot, Revo and Regedit but the Babylon tabs still sat on top of the Chrome toolbar, I went back into the Toolbar settings and Google was the selected Search engine, but in the dropdown box Babylon was sitting in there, I think along the way it was Spybot that actually shifted it but for some reason it still kept appearing in chrome, anyway it's gone now and I've learnt a little more along the way.
Thanks again:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back