Free Member
Oct 1, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
July 2013
Hi there, just a few words to say hello!

No motorhome at present (still towing) but on the look out for that special first one. The one that cries out buy me and let's enjoy the world together.

How many of you seasoned motorhome users drive an American RV? Are there many sites that can accommodate the longer motorhomes and how difficult is it to deal with onboard waste water and sewage tanks?

dj motormouth

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
RV A Class
Exp
since 2011
Go to the sister site - rvoc - as a member here it is only £5 to join. We are all complete nutters and seriously dedicated to rv's. I don't think there is anything you can ask that will not be answered.

Michael

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi and welcome.

I drive an American RV and love every minute of it :thumb:

at 34ft long and nearly 11ft wide at the mirrors it takes a little more forward planning and a few phonecalls when it comes to camp sites but there is a good campsite knowledge base on here and on our sister site >>>RVOC<<< which is dedicated to ARV's.

waste disposal isnt really a problem as you wont (usually) be using any chemicals so can dump in any sewer manhole (with permission) rather than an elsan point.

I think my grey and black tanks hold around 40gallons each so i can go quite some time between dumps....long weekends away (shows etc) i usually wait until i get home and dump in our septic tank.
in desperation you can use a waste tote (waste hog etc), or even a bucket (strong stomach needed), and empty a few gallons at a time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
hi and welcome.

I drive an American RV and love every minute of it :thumb:

at 34ft long and nearly 11ft wide at the mirrors it takes a little more forward planning and a few phonecalls when it comes to camp sites but there is a good campsite knowledge base on here and on our sister site >>>RVOC<<< which is dedicated to ARV's.

waste disposal isnt really a problem as you wont (usually) be using any chemicals so can dump in any sewer manhole (with permission) rather than an elsan point.

I think my grey and black tanks hold around 40gallons each so [HI]i can [/HI][HI]go quite some time between dumps[/HI]....long weekends away (shows etc) i usually wait until i get home and dump in our septic tank.
in desperation you can use a waste tote (waste hog etc), or even a bucket (strong stomach needed), and empty a few gallons at a time.

Wish I could. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have a RV that is a bit over 29ft and at this length find very few sites that cannot accommodate us . Holding tanks will last around a week for two of us.
Many sites , including Caravan Club have dedicated dump points which makes the job simple, but I also carry a wastehog as a back up.
This is our third RV and we love it :thumb:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have just sold my Winnebago 32ft RV, and i loved every minute with it.

So comfortable to drive, and live in. A bit on the large side for some drivers, but it doesn't take long to get used to the size, and ringing campsites in advance is not a bad idea, and google maps helps when searching for places to stay.

All the comforts of home, and the space of home with a slide out.

No problems with waste tanks at all, much better than a cassette in my opinion.

My tank capacities were, 84 usg fresh, 45 usg waste, and 45 usg black, so you can survive a fair few days without the need to fill or empty.
And that is not hard at all, i had a macerator with about 60 ft of hose so i could empty almost anywhere if a sewer was not nearby. Never used toilet chemicals either, no need.

They are not everyones cup of tea, but, for me, i love 'em.

Why did i sell?

I am changing to an American 5th wheel outfit for personal reasons, that's all.

Craig

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

No motorhome at present (still towing) but on the look out for that special first one. The one that cries out buy me and let's enjoy the world together.

How many of you seasoned motorhome users drive an American RV? Are there many sites that can accommodate the longer motorhomes and how difficult is it to deal with onboard waste water and sewage tanks?

Hi and welcome..

to get good advice you need to say what size and type.. RV is a generic term for any vehicle that you can live in .. from a pop-up camper to a 45ft gin place ... they range in size from around 18 ft up to the over 45ft .. I think the legal max. length in the UK is 38ft

As current owners tend to defend their choice of camper, ( human nature and not a dig at anyone) , IMO a better question would be.. "who has owned, and why did you sell'? ...

I'm an ex owner of a 36ft diesel pusher.... had it for five years and toured the UK and Europe with it, including a trip to Moroccoo. also spent three years living in it full time ..

All depends on length.... as a rule of thumb, the longer / heavier they are the more they cost to run, and the fewer sites than can accommodate them ,up to 28ft is fairly easy.. over 28ft then the number of sites reduces pro rata with the length.. this makes forward planning essential ..

Fuel cost is a major consideration .. as a rough guide, diesel RVs will get about 12 - 15mpg , petrol less than 10mpg. An LPG conversion gets less than petrol but with lower cost per gallon makes it more economical.

Summing up I would say a large RV is not a good van to see the world as it limits where you can go and is expensive to run.. it requires forward planning and when touring you need a toad (tow car) to visit and explore the area..

I loved my RV and hated to part with it , but it got to the point it was just too expensive to use and it severely limited where we could go..

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
They certainly are Larry. I have just had a once over done at the local MH garage, and the owner asked me if it was for sale, but alas, it's sold.

Craig

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Size and weight are important, as are running costs. I assume towing a caravan with a substantial towing vehicle is non too economical either. And some of the towed twin axle caravans i have seen on sites recently are not what i would call 'small'.
A four wheel drive discovery and a twin axle caravan next to us on one site was much longer than mine on the road, and just as thirsty i would think.
It's horses for courses, and what you are comfortable with.

Craig

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi and welcome..

to get good advice you need to say what size and type.. RV is a generic term for any vehicle that you can live in .. from a pop-up camper to a 45ft gin place ... they range in size from around 18 ft up to the over 45ft .. I think the legal max. length in the UK is 38ft

As current owners tend to defend their choice of camper, ( human nature and not a dig at anyone) , IMO a better question would be.. "who has owned, and why did you sell'? ...

I'm an ex owner of a 36ft diesel pusher.... had it for five years and toured the UK and Europe with it, including a trip to Moroccoo. also spent three years living in it full time ..

All depends on length.... as a rule of thumb, the longer / heavier they are the more they cost to run, and the fewer sites than can accommodate them , as a rule of thumb, up to 28ft is fairly easy.. over 28ft then the number of sites reduces pro rata with the length.. this makes forward planning essential ..

Fuel cost is a major consideration .. as a rough guide, diesel RVs will get about 12 - 15mpg , petrol less than 10mpg. An LPG conversion gets less than petrol but with lower cost per gallon makes it more economical.

Summing up I would say a large RV is not a good van to see the world as it limits where you can go and is expensive to run.. it requires forward planning and when touring you need a toad (tow car) to visit and explore the area..

I loved my RV and hated to part with it , but it got to the point it was just too expensive to use and it severely limited where we could go..

Could also be who still owns an RV and why do you keep it

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Size and weight are important, as are running costs. I assume towing a caravan with a substantial towing vehicle is non too economical either. And some of the towed twin axle caravans i have seen on sites recently are not what i would call 'small'.
A four wheel drive discovery and a twin axle caravan next to us on one site was much longer than mine on the road, and just as thirsty i would think.
It's horses for courses, and what you are comfortable with.

Craig

I think the OP is acquainted with caravans,
No motorhome at present (still towing)
but just for the record.. I had a diesel Disco and twin axle Lunar .. returned about 24mpg .. and towed it all over Europe,, never any problems with sites and had a great car for getting out and about.. in my experience, far more useful than a large RV .. but as you say.. horses for courses.. no right or wrong.. I always try to give an objective viewpoint, I wasn't knocking RVs, just giving my viewpoint.
BROKEN LINK

Could also be who still owns an RV and why do you keep it

Indeed, both viewpoints are valid .

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
wish someone would buy mine

RVs seem to be selling in spite of a recession :thumb:

I have owned RV's for 28 years on and off A, B and C class.

I have a B class Winnebago which is 23' something ... on Ebay and other places.

No issues with camping, dumping the tanks (I use a macerator) lasts a good week..

I am selling mine to buy a bigger one - a toy hauler to assist my disability needs in carrying a power chair (I use a trailer at present).

Lots of RV to chose from from the small end like mine to the bigger ones up to 40' ..

Good luck with your quest.

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I get 15 mpg on petrol

Hi and welcome..

All depends on length.... as a rule of thumb, the longer / heavier they are the more they cost to run, and the fewer sites than can accommodate them ,up to 28ft is fairly easy.. over 28ft then the number of sites reduces pro rata with the length.. this makes forward planning essential ..

The modern Ford Triton V10 petrol engines return 15 MPG with no problems.. I have calculated over 4 seasons and 12,000 miles (still has not done 20k) and using the generator at weekend meets I have been getting 15 mpg ... I do not have a boot made of metal. I drive with care.. and that return is the same with a trailer attached.

Bob

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp

An Avatar for you if you're staying. Used to use it myself on the dark side.

Pete:Cool:

Attachments

• blod pig.jpg
    blod pig.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 8

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries