Wild camping on the coastal areas nr Dumfries ... (1 Viewer)

Sharlene

Free Member
Oct 1, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 months
We are heading upto Dumfries in 4weeks time up and around the coastal areas, was wondering if anyone may have done any wild camping around the area in which they might like to share?The whole area will be all new to us , so it's our road trip to the unknown but wold be nice to have a backup plan for our overnight stays depending how far we travel.
Many thanks for taking the time o read my thread

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
The old jetty at Glencaple is an excellent site, literally yards from a good food pub and local shops nearby, views to die for,

Attachments

• Glencaple04.jpg
    Glencaple04.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 660
  • Glencaple03.jpg
    Glencaple03.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 549
  • Glencaple01.jpg
    Glencaple01.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 510
OP
OP
S

Sharlene

Free Member
Oct 1, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 months
Now that's exactly what we like, and the honesty box is a great idea!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Sharlene

The spot stewartj has gave you is ideal and they have just opened a visitor centre, cafe and shop in the old boat house next to the jetty so ideal, also lovely hotel that we use often as only live 4miles from it.

When you say Dumfries do you mean just this area or do you mean Dumfries and Galloway I can give you a few overnight stops around the Dumfries area and a bit further afield, let me know what your looking for and i will see what i can do for you. Also what dates are you planning on coming as i can check if theres anything of interest that would be good to see.

Gerry

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Was up in that area a few weeks ago, head around towards Newton Stewart. Go up the New Galloway road and take the Raiders Road, sure some have overnighted down there.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Now that's exactly what we like, and the honesty box is a great idea!

Not far from Dumfries or just go for the very scenic coastal dive from Annan, all the usual supermarkets in Dumfries with big MH friendly car parks.

The area will suprise you, its beautiful and quiet overlooked by most heading for Scotland.

The car park behind Sweetheart Abbey is another good spot, plus point is a public toilet, usually a MH or two for company, again couple of good food pubs within short walk. Very quiet and again those views.

Carsethorn is another cracker (keep it quiet though!) public car park with toilets right on the shore, views are magnificent, yards from another foody pub.

Update us on how your trip goes please it makes giving advice so worthwhile.

Stewart

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Hi Gerry, must have been writing while you posted, its getting near the time for visiting and birding your area.

ATB

Stewart

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Lived in Carsethorn from 1987 to 1997 three doors up from the pub. Lovely village but never saw any m'homes then.Must be more about now!:thumb:I would recommend going up the Raiders Road to the Otters Pool...fantastic place to hang out.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Lived in Carsethorn from 1987 to 1997 three doors up from the pub. Lovely village but never saw any m'homes then.Must be more about now!:thumb:I would recommend going up the Raiders Road to the Otters Pool...fantastic place to hang out.

I haven't either John which suprises me.

Cheers

Stewart

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Stewart

Nice to hear from you and glad your coming back to our lovely region but i think we should stop telling everyone about it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I would agree with the spot at New Abbey even though its 7miles from us we have used it for the night and when you turn for carsethorn and go over the wee bridge and turn right there is a village hall and spare ground which would be ideal for a quiet night. There are actually loads of places round this area and if everyone continues to be sensible they will be there for years to come. Someone had parked up for about 4 weeks in the one spot moving away for a night every so often makes people think they are there permanently not a great idea.

OP
OP
S

Sharlene

Free Member
Oct 1, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 months
Hi Sharlene

The spot stewartj has gave you is ideal and they have just opened a visitor centre, cafe and shop in the old boat house next to the jetty so ideal, also lovely hotel that we use often as only live 4miles from it.

When you say Dumfries do you mean just this area or do you mean Dumfries and Galloway I can give you a few overnight stops around the Dumfries area and a bit further afield, let me know what your looking for and i will see what i can do for you. Also what dates are you planning on coming as i can check if theres anything of interest that would be good to see.

Gerry

Hi, We are travelling upto dumfriesnand down all around the coast towards stranraer so mainly the surrounding areas of Galloway forest park, we are travelling on the tuesday 23rd of October up until Sunday

OP
OP
S

Sharlene

Free Member
Oct 1, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 months
Not far from Dumfries or just go for the very scenic coastal dive from Annan, all the usual supermarkets in Dumfries with big MH friendly car parks.

The area will suprise you, its beautiful and quiet overlooked by most heading for Scotland.

The car park behind Sweetheart Abbey is another good spot, plus point is a public toilet, usually a MH or two for company, again couple of good food pubs within short walk. Very quiet and again those views.

Carsethorn is another cracker (keep it quiet though!) public car park with toilets right on the shore, views are magnificent, yards from another foody pub.

Update us on how your trip goes please it makes giving advice so worthwhile.

Stewart

Hi, many thanks I'm taking all these notes with me, I will keep u updated, a lot has tried to put us off with the weather turning colder, but we are up for the challenge and a few extra layers is not a problem x

OP
OP
S

Sharlene

Free Member
Oct 1, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 months
Hi Stewart

Nice to hear from you and glad your coming back to our lovely region but i think we should stop telling everyone about it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I would agree with the spot at New Abbey even though its 7miles from us we have used it for the night and when you turn for carsethorn and go over the wee bridge and turn right there is a village hall and spare ground which would be ideal for a quiet night. There are actually loads of places round this area and if everyone continues to be sensible they will be there for years to come. Someone had parked up for about 4 weeks in the one spot moving away for a night every so often makes people think they are there permanently not a great idea.

I agree if people are sensible, but I must admit I was appalled in Wales last weekend to find a man in his 50's dumping his waste tank whilst he parked overnight, unfortunately it is people like these that will spoil it for everyone, and give us a bad name! I was always taught to respect others and that's a number one rule when visiting other peoples towns.
I will say, that was the first time I had noticed a bad camper!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Sharlene if your coming to Dumfries either on the way or way back you can Park in the dock park for free, its about 5mins walk to the town centre and museum if you like that stuff. There is a toilet block thought it is shut down just now as they will be knocking it down for new one. Before you get to Dumfries if your coming the A 75 you can turn off for Powfoot if you go into village and over wee bridge and drive past hotel it becomes a single track road and leads to 2 caravan parks once past the first one you will find a few laybys no problem parking there and your right on the beach with view towards the Lakes, hotel is nice for a meal. There is a carpark and toilet block there but i think the carpark has height barrier you will have no problems parking in laybys we do it often when going away for one neight even though only 14miles away.

If driving through Dumfries and heading along solway coast id go via New Abbey and Colvend that then take you into Dalbeattie. If coming this way you can park at sweet heart abbey has a toilet block and 2 pubs and shop lovely little village also has its own corn mill open all year. If your into walking then worth a walk up to waterloo monument go inside and out the top great views.

Heading along this road just outside new abbey by a mile or 2 there is a viewing point cant remember the name its privately owned but the owner is happy for Mh's to park as long as the keep it tidy also has stunning view s in the right conditions.

Id visit Kipford on your way round as nice little village 2 pubs and wee shop has two car parks with no barrier not sure about overnight as never done it there. Back on themain road heading for Dalbeattie you will see Dalbeattie forest on your right we have used this on a couple of occasions no tv signal but nice and peaceful when we used it about year ago.
You can then head for Palnackie where they hold the world flounder trapping championship every year, nice little pub the glaen isle and i dont think there would be a problem parking overnight if not then keep following road round to Kirkudbright where you can park up on the harbour the only problem taking this route is you miss out Castle Douglas whaich is just off the A75 and a lovely wee town.

If you need more info let me know and i will do my best to help unfortunately im off to Florida for 2 weeks and not bakc till the 27th or id have popped down and said hi.

Gerry

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
From Gerry:- Heading along this road just outside new abbey by a mile or 2 there is a viewing point cant remember the name its privately owned but the owner is happy for Mh's to park as long as the keep it tidy also has stunning view s in the right conditions.

This is at Kirkbean and a cracking little spot, spoke to owner earlier in year and has no problem with wilding done responsibly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back