Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
SWMOB received a lot of text from an accident management company.. of course n accident... there was a send a text to XXXXXX and the word stop.

A charge was on the bill for £3.00 for this.

Be aware.

Bob

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
It is generally a bad idea to text 'stop' to these junk texts.

Often they are sent out from a computer that randomly generates mobile phone numbers.

If the number is invalid the text goes nowhere; if the number IS valid, the phone receives the text.

If you reply AT ALL (even with STOP) what often happens is that the computer receives your text and flags your number as valid.

A list of authenticated valid numbers is then compiled and sold on to other unscrupulous companies.

A list of authenticated valid numbers is a very valuable commodity in the junk text arena.

The end result is that those that reply with 'STOP' often end up inundated with texts from all sorts of companies some time later.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
This partic scam has been around for quite a while now.

Think the first we heard about it was a couple of years ago? Perhaps we are lucky in that we have lots of younger people in the family and I'm sure one of em got caught and instantly lost all their remaining credit, much to their parents' disgust.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Whilst on the subject of such scams, watch the apps with smart devices - this has also gone the way of the scammers.

Including many popular game apps - the phone is sending 'background' information to the owner of the app, and even has been sending texts to their lines, costing sums such as £15 per text!

Always turn off background info, use an app killer when not using an app and be careful what you download!

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
I always forward these to the spam dept of O2. I would assume 3 etc have similar. I get a small sense of satisfaction from a silent 'screw you' as I push the Send.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I thought I would post this as I have now got up from the floor in shock its the first post from Bob without mentioning you know what:whatthe:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
another one came in

Another one came in today... this time I had the originating phone number.. so I went on to the ICO - information commissioners office ... followed the links and made a complaint... this time it was PPI .. I was even provided for Vodafone a tex number to forward it to them to stop it at the IPS .. the ICO had a short form for all the details.. so I have done my bit today to fight the spam.

Bob

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
:Eeek:I didnt realise till very recently, that MANY companies, ferry/insurance/enquiry, use premium rate numbers:Eeek:
i was approx £30 over on my phon ebill, when i questioned it, my insurance company and two ferry companies, plus 118500, had all charged me premium rates, 118500 charged me over £3 becaus ethey could,nt find the bleddy number:Eeek:
Orange have now altered my account settings so that I CANNOT phone those numbers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back