ASUS Transformer TF101 (1 Viewer)

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Any one got any experience of the Asus Transformer TF101? Sounds like a really nice bit of kit which gets rave reviews, but most of the bad reviews I have read slag Asus customer services something rotten.
Whilst I realise it's not an Apple so won't be as good :winky: from what I have read so far it is the next best thing and has many useful qualities, not least of which is its ability to "transform" into a notebook with extra battery life.
I have found one for £250, OK second hand but advertised as "good as new" and hardly used (have to wonder at why that is but at over £100 less than the cheapest new I can find....).
My only real concern is if it is damaged goods or there are some software issues that the seller isn't telling me about how will Asus treat me? It is still under warranty but will I get decent customer service if I need it? Anyone have experience?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any one got any experience of the Asus Transformer TF101?

Exquisite piece of kit. Work of art.

ASUS is a quality firm, I can't imagine warranty problems.

Mine is over a year old now, never a moment's problems. It still looks like new because it's always in a case and it has gorilla glass so never marks.

Only gripe is charging, it needs their special 240V charger, so far I've never seen a 12V charger. So an alternator may be needed in the van. Battery life is good, next to no drain on standby ( can turn fully off ) and hours and hours of reading. Claimed 8 hours, I do not dispute this.

Mine updated itself to Android 4 automatically.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've had an Asus netbook for a while for use (mainly) in the van and we bought an Asus laptop for Jill recently so I can say that (in my experience) Asus build quality is fine.

I've had only one need to contact support, soon after buying the laptop. It turned out to be a Windows software issue which was sorted out easily enough.

What I would question, though, is the need for an Android tablet with a keyboard - and only Android 3.0 at that. We get on fine with on-screen keyboards on our Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablets - though I still use the netbook for e-mails in the van as I find cut & paste easier with a keyboard and we both use laptops at home as well as the tablets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
Only gripe is charging, it needs their special 240V charger, so far I've never seen a 12V charger. So an alternator may be needed in the van. Battery life is good, next to no drain on standby ( can turn fully off ) and hours and hours of reading. Claimed 8 hours, I do not dispute this.
One here on [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-Charger-KOZMICC-Infinity-Tablets/dp/B007UTGIMS"]Amazon[/ame] Brian.

Mine updated itself to Android 4 automatically.
That's debunked one of my points :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
One here on Brian.
That's debunked one of my points :Smile:

Ah, thank you.

Yes, I was surprised, not "would you like 4", all of a sudden "an update has been installed". It's done it twice, just downloads in the background then updates.

There are times, especially editing FUN when I much prefer a keyboard. I've not got one for the ASUS, like you I think a tablet is a tablet but the ASUS keyboard also doubles battery life by having an on board battery and adds extra ports.

I was well impressed with the iPlayer app. Which you'll no doubt have on the Samsung. Catch up TV on the hoof round the house, should I want it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I tried the iPlayer once but it didn't improve programme quality :roflmto:

When I think about how much TV I used to watch in years gone by I'm now almost back to 50 years ago before my parents got a TV. Hardly anything I watch these days; even news programmes I often switch off before the end. I don't think I'd even watch the 10 o'clock news if I wasn't bothered about getting supper crumbs in the keyboard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I tried the iPlayer once but it didn't improve programme quality :roflmto:

In the last week, Battle of Britain fighter pilots, how close we came to WW3 in Cuba. Some watchable programs if you look very hard.

I even watched an old Top Gear on Dave, test of two £30,000+ electric cars with a range of 70 miles then an 11 hour charge. We're not there yet.

And thanks, found that yank charger on ebay for £11 delivered, sorted.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Can't comment on customer service, but the Asus netbook I bought earlier this year has been great so far. Good build quality, the usual crapware and Asus' inferior iCloud competitor pre-installed, but excellent battery life.

Following a common theme....no luck getting a 12V adapter either. Tried Amazon and eBay and ended up returning the one that said it would work because the socket was the wrong size.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back