Calling iMac users, reviews wanted (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As per the title, looking for reports about the iMac. from owners.. not hearsay or what my brother in law's son's, friends', uncle thinks.. or what you read in The Mail .. I can find that out Googling..

In particular, premature failure of the hard drive.. and overheating .. these problems have been reported in some tech reviews...

What I don't need or want are posts about Mac versus Windoze.
As a user of both platforms I know the strengths and weaknesses of both .. If you want to debate that start another thread.

thanks

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
had no problems

I have a MacBook Pro 15" with the quad drive.. purchased it 10 months back.

No issues with the hard drive.. in fact no issues at all.

Bob

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have a MacBook Pro 15" with the quad drive.. purchased it 10 months back.

No issues with the hard drive.. in fact no issues at all.

Bob

thanks Bob..

also had several Mac laptops, none with hard drive problems.. or overheating but the iMac has had a few reports of hard drives failing just outside the warranty .. Apple blamed it on a 'bad batch' of drives.. but that's no comfort when faced with a large repair bill and you don't have the 'Apple Care' crutch

I've also got experience of replacing parts in Macs but the iMac is a different kettle of fish .. apparently it's a back to base job... and having a drive replaced costs mega bucks.

Just for Info
Apple's warranty is 12 months , but if you buy from John Lewis, they give a two year warranty, and for £60, a full three years..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use an iMac for about 14 hours most days. In my first year of Mac ownership I used it extensively for everything but I kept switching back to my wnidows machine for some business software, namely Act! and Quickbooks.

Since i found Mac replacements for those. Daylite4 and Solar accounts I just do not switch my windows machine on anymore. Siân uses windows and every time sit at her machine I hate it. Its just not as productive for me, compared to a mac; windows is clunky and quirky and the file systems antique. I suppose a lot of it is what you get used to. But I don't think I would ever go back to a Windows machine, for me it certainly feels like I'm going back in time.

These days the iMacs are very well specified and are equivalent or better than the macPro of a couple of years ago. Also the screens look better than some costing as much as the iMac. I work with them all day, I'm not easily pleased but I've really grown to like them:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I got a 2 year from John Lewis

thanks Bob..

also had several Mac laptops, none with hard drive problems.. or overheating but the iMac has had a few reports of hard drives failing just outside the warranty .. Apple blamed it on a 'bad batch' of drives.. but that's no comfort when faced with a large repair bill and you don't have the 'Apple Care' crutch

I've also got experience of replacing parts in Macs but the iMac is a different kettle of fish .. apparently it's a back to base job... and having a drive replaced costs mega bucks.

Just for Info
Apple's warranty is 12 months , but if you buy from John Lewis, they give a two year warranty, and for £60, a full three years..

As standard with John Lewis you get 2 years on all TV's and computers free...the cost for the third year was a lot... even more if you buy direct from Apple.

While you do not want third party stories.. my Son in law has had his Imac now for 2 years this christmas. He has had no issues... he has not upgrade from Snow Leopard .... where as now we have had Lion and are on Mountain lion. His only issue has been his key pad (he is borrowing mine from my IPAD.. but that was due to battery leaking. But he has had no issues...I would be the first port of call if there had been.

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I agree with the view JIM

I use an iMac for about 14 hours most days. In my first year of Mac ownership I used it extensively for everything but I kept switching back to my wnidows machine for some business software, namely Act! and Quickbooks.

Since i found Mac replacements for those. Daylite4 and Solar accounts I just do not switch my windows machine on anymore. Siân uses windows and every time sit at her machine I hate it. Its just not as productive for me, compared to a mac; windows is clunky and quirky and the file systems antique. I suppose a lot of it is what you get used to. But I don't think I would ever go back to a Windows machine, for me it certainly feels like I'm going back in time.

These days the iMacs are very well specified and are equivalent or better than the macPro of a couple of years ago. Also the screens look better than some costing as much as the iMac. I work with them all day, I'm not easily pleased but I've really grown to like them:thumb:

My issue was there was no MS Money for the Mac .. found Ibank.. an american programme that works for £ .. takes some getting use to (Mac) but once you use them they seem to be good. I still have several window computers and laptops.

But as requested this is not a poke at either systems.. just reporting no issues with the hard drives.

Bob

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As standard with John Lewis you get 2 years on all TV's and computers free...the cost for the third year was a lot... even more if you buy direct from Apple.

While you do not want third party stories.. my Son in law has had his Imac now for 2 years this christmas. He has had no issues... he has not upgrade from Snow Leopard .... where as now we have had Lion and are on Mountain lion. His only issue has been his key pad (he is borrowing mine from my IPAD.. but that was due to battery leaking. But he has had no issues...I would be the first port of call if there had been.

Bob

My son also has one with no problems.. it was this article that got me a tad worried..

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-57492376-82/why-i-regret-buying-an-imac/

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My issue was there was no MS Money for the Mac .. found Ibank.. an american programme that works for £ .. takes some getting use to (Mac) but once you use them they seem to be good. I still have several window computers and laptops.

But as requested this is not a poke at either systems.. just reporting no issues with the hard drives.

Bob

Microsoft Money has never been that well supported in the UK. Solar Accounts are a small brit company and the product is great:thumb:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
We got ours in 2010 and it is rarely switched off.No problems whatsoever with running or overheating.We would never go back to a PC after using the Mac which is far more intuitive to use and have not found that it can't do anything that we need.:thumb:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
daughter bought a mac laptop no probs
she uses mac with m/soft word( collage would only accept word docs)

seeing how well she got on with that i purchased an i mac in 2009
i like it a lot as said by me before since ive had the m/soft puters
have stayed in the cupboard

lucky for me daughters mac/word came with three licences

mrs t has also purchased a mac laptop
as she is a confirmed technofobe

my i mac does what i need which is not alot granted
gets left in sleep mode regularly
often forget to put it on that mode it just defaults to it
i lso got a scratchpad and mouse from apple shop
as he thought i was gonna walk dont bother with the mouse now
so they will bargin but its hard to get em to:winky:

i would probably of had three lappys if i hadnt got the mac
no probs for me if it failed now
id buy another but probably a laptop mac
for mobility

i have now put mrs t m/s laptop in the truck as the battry
failed memory wiped and resett to factory use on 240 only
if its nicked no loss :thumb:
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Had an iMac for 2 years and no issues at all. It is on pretty well all the time and heavily used.

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
My i Mac is around two years old now. Its on for eight hours a day. No problems...so far. Though I did 'catch' the Mac virus earlier this year, which was promptly sorted with help from customer care. I also use a MacBook.

I have used Apple Customer Care lots of times, once due to the virus but mostly because I didn't know how to do something (lots of things, actually:Blush:) they are ALWAYS fabulous and can't do enough to help, no matter how long it takes or how many times it has to be explained. An excellent product supported by excellent customer service, its exactly what I need.

Remember that if you are purchasing Apple products and you have an 'educational' email address eg hospital,school, university, (...or have access to someone who does...) and you order on line via the education part of the Apple web site, you will get exceptional service and customer care and, in addition, a substantial discount on the lowest price you can find in any shop. Usually there are additional offers too, in my case it was the highest spec iPod Touch at half price. They will deliver to your home address. You can only access the education part of the web site via a personal educational email address though.

Lorraine x

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
I also have had an iMac for two years, no issues at all. It's used every day for a couple of hours.

I bought it 4 days before Apple released an upgrade iMac. Under the 14 day free return I took it back and they gave me the new one.

Apple products just work, no meeting about with set up. I have iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, airport express. Everything talks to each other, eg watch films from the iMac on TV, play music on my stereo etc. I recommend it, although they are pricy.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I've been a mac user for the last 12 years or so.
In that time I've had 3 iMacs and only changed them when I felt the new model would improve my computer experience. I have never had any problems with any of them and sold them when I was finished with them, getting a good price on eBay.
I'm now on my second macbook the latest one being the macbook pro which I've now had for 3 weeks with the Retina display and running Mountain Lion. It is in my opinion worth every penny of it's price. I always buy my Apple stuff from John Lewis on line, for the reasons stated in earlier posts.
IMHO once you get over the shock of the price and have got to grips with the different way it works you'll wish you had changed to a mac years ago.

Pete:Cool:

stig60

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Keighley
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
since 2010
I have a Mac book pro and an imac they are on continuously both at home and while I'm away and at work. No problems with HDD. The macbook does run does run a bit warm but that is normal for Mac books I have Parallels on macbook (runs windows on mac) but this only to access my companies intranet otherwise would not touch MS.

Stew

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Some information here about HDD failure on the iMac ..

Apple will replace affected Seagate hard drives, free of charge, until July 23rd, 2013

Apple has determined that a very small number of Seagate 1TB hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems, may fail under certain conditions. [HI]These systems were sold between May 2011 and July 2011.[/HI]

Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) will replace affected hard drives free of charge.

Apple is contacting affected iMac owners who provided a valid email address during the product registration process to let them know about this program. If you have not been contacted, but think you have a 1TB Seagate hard drive, you can enter your serial number below to see if it's part of this program.

This information together with the useful comments certainly allays my fears I had about HDD failures ..

thanks to all who took the time to reply .. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back