Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Recently I have seen some forums saying they are struggling so increased prices and limited access to read only members. Not a good business model. :Doh:

Another database of speed cameras has pleas on site to try to get more members, I thought the boy racers would have kept that one going. :ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There is actually a bit of a 'thing' going on at the moment..

A lot of the people who own servers and comms companies are really stacking on the charges.. One of the forums I run now costs me more than 3 times more than it did 2 years ago, and that is just for the bandwidth used.. :Angry:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I bought a new server on Tuesday. ::bigsmile: Hopefully I will migrate this site over to it next week. (with Grometts help) In the past I've upgraded almost yearly and its a real pain. Its been 18 month since the last upgrade and I think that we do struggle here at busy times.

To hopefully stop the annual upgrades, well for 3 years at least, I have made a big jump in power but this time but committed for 3 years to get the costs down.

Presently we are on a reasonable machine, with one Intel Xeon processor, 4 cores and 8mb ram, but the new machine is a racing snake. It has TWO fast AMD processors each with 12 cores, two fast SAS disks along with 32gb of Ram. Its expensive, but should serve us well for the foreseeable future.

If/When we outgrow this new one it will get really expensive, we will probably need two servers, one to deal with the database queries and the other to serve up the html, however, if we are that busy to need the upgrades then it figures our membership will have increased to easily cover the costs. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I bought a new server on Tuesday. ::bigsmile: Hopefully I will migrate this site over to it next week. (with Grometts help) In the past I've upgraded almost yearly and its a real pain. Its been 18 month since the last upgrade and I think that we do struggle here at busy times.

To hopefully stop the annual upgrades, well for 3 years at least, I have made a big jump in power but this time but committed for 3 years to get the costs down.

Presently we are on a reasonable machine, with one Intel Xeon processor, 4 cores and 8mb ram, but the new machine is a racing snake. It has TWO fast AMD processors each with 12 cores, two fast SAS disks along with 32gb of Ram. Its expensive, but should serve us well for the foreseeable future.

If/When we outgrow this new one it will get really expensive, we will probably need two servers, one to deal with the database queries and the other to serve up the html, however, if we are that busy to need the upgrades then it figures our membership will have increased to easily cover the costs. :thumb:

Well done Jim I was hoping you would explain the FUN position. You are clearly looking to the future which should fill us all with confidence. :thumb:

I'm sure we all understand that costs will rise, but surely hitting the members at times when the whole economy is in this current situation cannot be a good business decision?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you can cram it into a small box you could recycle it as reasonable tablet with of that spec.

Yes, I used to think that "servers" were some kind of super computer, but of course they are not. Its just a little box, with average PC specs, in a rack with thousands of others in some massive climate controlled shed. However it's the software they use and the internet pipes the box is attached to that we end users appreciate.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yep lost me too Jim but i think you where saying you have a better server:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I also didn't know that the server was in a shed/room with loads others i assumed it was in your house:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As you can see dont know much about servers and the one at work although only 4 miles from my house the server is in Poland that i cant understand.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yep lost me too Jim but i think you where saying you have a better server:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I also didn't know that [HI]the server was in a shed/room with loads others[/HI] i assumed it was in your house:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As you can see dont know much about servers and the one at work although only 4 miles from my house the server is in Poland that i cant understand.

Isn't that more or less essential these days? The big hosting companies (I've used 1&1 for years) have staff working shifts round the clock to make sure their service keeps running. Contrast that with one web site I look after where a decision was made (before my time) to use a small company on the grounds of supporting a (more or less) local small business. No problems most of the time but if something goes wrong during the night it can take a lot longer for them to resume service than one of the big companies.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yep lost me too Jim but i think you where saying you have a better server:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I also didn't know that the server was in a shed/room with loads others[HI] i assumed it was in your house[/HI]:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

On a GOOD DAY I survive on 0.4 of a meg broadband, with an upload speed of 0.25 of a meg. If the server was at my house then we'd all have to queue to read this post one at a time, and wait a while for it to download::bigsmile:

It gets up my nose that they are going to be testing the new 4g in cities that already have 20mb or more, I wish they'd pilot it in Wales. Mars has a better link to the Web than Wales::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It gets up my nose that they are going to be testing the new 4g in cities that already have 20mb or more, I wish they'd pilot it in Wales. Mars has a better link to the Web than Wales::bigsmile:

I am averaging about 25mb at home these days.:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
All part of the advantages of living a quiet life out in the country Jim :Smile:
I am averaging about 25mb at home these days.:thumb:
We are supposed to be getting 20mb from Virgin Media as a result of their latest, highly trumpeted, upgrade (doubled from 10mb). In reality we are lucky to get 7mb during the day and 1 or 2mb in the evening because they decided to sign up more customers before upgrading the infrastructure rather than doing it the right way round.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
We are migrating and updating over the weekend:Doh:just done one bit so we can now get instant emails instead of 12 hours, next is the website !

Peter

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Some years ago, I had to buy a server for work, PI 166mhz 128meg ram, 4.2 gig hard drive, SCSI cards ,no OS, no mouse, no monitor £10k, it was binned within a year.

Add to that SCO UNIX, Informix and the licences etc, a lot of dosh....

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
On a GOOD DAY I survive on 0.4 of a meg broadband, with an upload speed of 0.25 of a meg. If the server was at my house then we'd all have to queue to read this post one at a time, and wait a while for it to download::bigsmile:

Standing at 3000m on top of a mountain in India last year our guide answered his phone and sent an email, I can't do that from my house which is between Manchester and Leeds and surrounded by big towns and cities.
Still it has its compensations, nice view, can't hear the motorway, woken up by birdsong and not the neighbours revving up to go to work Ahhhhh.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You want to try only having '3' mobile broadband ... I'm lucky if I can even get on line most of the time!!!! That's why I didn't pay my subs on time as I couldn't get into my email account to see the reminder email ... I thought I'd been excommunicated by you when I got stopped from posting!!!! (I've now signed up for automatic renewal so don't go putting the cost up!!! :whatthe: )

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You want to try only having '3' mobile broadband ... I'm lucky if I can even get on line most of the time!!!! That's why I didn't pay my subs on time as I couldn't get into my email account to see the reminder email ... I thought I'd been excommunicated by you when I got stopped from posting!!!! (I've now signed up for automatic renewal so don't go putting the cost up!!! :whatthe: )

We use "3" on the road all the time. The signal was a bit iffy at Lincoln Showground last weekend at times but the only place I've had real problems was at the Thetford meet last year - which (if I'd read the tip previously) would probably have been fixed by hanging the MiFi in a bag on the flag pole.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back