Any truth a floor in Microsoft/apple program's (1 Viewer)

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Perhaps it's related to the Millennium bug....

Were all doomed you know, were doomed...........:RollEyes:

Remember that one, and the vast amount of money spent to fix something that did not need fixing....:Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Remember that one, and the vast amount of money spent to fix something that did not need fixing....:Doh:

The Millennium bug was certainly over-hyped but it did need fixing. At Cleveland County we fixed it in the mid 1980s.

Some software companies were still producing/selling software with the bug in 1998/9. I remember one which produced taxi licence plates with an expiry date on them which came out with the year 1900 instead of 2000. Luckily the numbers were the same size as those on labels produced by a large Dymo machine so the immediate fix was to stick a label over the sheet before it was laminated.

I won't be worrying about this latest Java bug, just frustrated by knowing there are/will be many more out there because of absence of basic testing of the code.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you don't really need Java, get rid of it...

Apple implemented a system that automatically disables Java if it's not being used. If Java is inactive for 35 days, Apple simply turns it off to remove it as a potential attack vector.

Until or unless Oracle cleans up its act and comes up with a much more streamlined and effective way of dealing with known vulnerabilities, it makes sense to take a hint from Apple.

Link Removed

Windoze users

The episode has brought to the fore a piece of advice many security experts have echoed for years: if you don't need Java, uninstall it. Some programs that claim Java is required work almost as well without the Oracle software. Removing it significantly decreases the attack surface hackers have to target.

Read More

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Oracle and Adobe have a lot to answer for these days. MS and Apple have both pushed security to priority number one quite some time ago and it is rare these days for Zero day exploits to be found. However Adobe and Oracle seem to breed these bugs by the hundreds..

I read the full disclosure lists almost daily as part of my work and I am no longer surprised when I see Adobe or Oracle mentioned....

I have removed the Adobe PDF reader from my computer and use Sumatra. I removed Java years ago. My only risk factor from these two companies is the flash player which I hope to remove in the not too distant future when HTML 5 video makes it to the big leagues. After that flash will only be used for pretty pretties and adverts and I can afford to lose them.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Java runtime is not part of the OS X 10.7 so consequently I don't have Java on my Macbook.
Every thing works just the way it should without it, but I understand that there are some programmes that do need it but as yet I haven't come across any.

Should Java be needed, OS X 10.7 gives you the option to install or not to install, if you say no then the programme that needed it just quits.

Seems to me, Apple are ahead of the game on this one.

Pete:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

As said, overhyped but did need fixing. I was heavily involved in it with our NHS Trust, and a lot of things had to be adapted or replaced prior to the date. The only thing that went down was one telephone switchboard console , the others had been replaced.
The thing that got my goat was that I was on duty all night in case anything went down, and missed the millenium celebrations, which owing to ignorance of our leaders were held a year early. (The new millenium should have commenced on Jan 1st 2001, there is no year zero on the calendar, the Romans had no concept of it)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back