Recommended anti-virus software (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Who needs expert advice from computer magazines and web sites, when you can ask the real experts on MHFun... :thumb:

...my license for Avast! Pro is coming up for renewal and it looks like I have to upgrade the version I have (even though it seems to be working OK) at the same time. So now seems like a good time to look at alternatives. I've checked out various reviews online and each one seems to recommend something different.

Link Removed, Microsoft Security Essentials got the thumbs up. Are the people who recommended it back then still using it?

I don't need anything enterprise-scale....just enough to protect an XP box, Vista virtual machine and Windows 7 netbook that do the occasional web browsing and webmail reading, plus receive files via IM.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Who needs expert advice from computer magazines and web sites, when you can ask the real experts on MHFun... :thumb:

...my license for Avast! Pro is coming up for renewal and it looks like I have to upgrade the version I have (even though it seems to be working OK) at the same time. So now seems like a good time to look at alternatives. I've checked out various reviews online and each one seems to recommend something different.

Link Removed, Microsoft Security Essentials got the thumbs up. [HI]Are the people who recommended it back then still using it?[/HI]

I don't need anything enterprise-scale....just enough to protect an XP box, Vista virtual machine and Windows 7 netbook that do the occasional web browsing and webmail reading, plus receive files via IM.

Yes.. I've had it for at least two years and had no problems .. and it get's a good review here..

Best Free Anti-Virus software Link Removed

a good site with plenty of info that's easy to understand

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Yes.. I've had it for at least two years and had no problems .. and it get's a good review here..

Best Free Anti-Virus software Link Removed

a good site with plenty of info that's easy to understand

Thanks for the link. I see that Avast! gets the top vote along with MSE - I'd have to purchase the Pro version because it's for work (Avast! Free = non-commercial).

I should have switched one of these machines over to MSE a while ago and done a comparison, not left it until my Avast! license was about to run out.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We have the free Avast on all our machines, and have recommended it and installed it for many friends.

No one has ever had a problem........:thumb::thumb:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I use both and have no problems with either. Avast has one nice feature, it is updated every time you switch on your computer whereas ME needs to be updated and scanned once a week.

Norman

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorry to hijack this thread...

So...

Should I ditch AVG and switch to MSE?

JJ :Cool:

They're all just tools. If your current tool works why bother changing? I only changed to MSE when we had a problem with AVG some years ago - just the same as I bought a new electric drill when the old one started going wrong.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I use both and have no problems with either. Avast has one nice feature, it is updated every time you switch on your computer whereas [HI]ME needs to be updated and scanned once a week.[/HI]

Norman

Not so Norman, MSE updates the definitions automatically .. and you set the scan schedule in the settings ..

For full protection I would advise installing Malwarebytes and Spybot..

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now

So...

NO....If it isn't broke don't fix it...

I've run AVG nearly as long as I've been computing and thats a very long time now and never had a problem....

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
They're all just tools. If your current tool works why bother changing? I only changed to MSE when we had a problem with AVG some years ago - just the same as I bought a new electric drill when the old one started going wrong.

So which parts of the computer do you drill into to stop the virus's ?
This is a new technique to me !

barry:Smile:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
You could just chuck them all in the bin and buy a Mac.:roflmto:

Well someone had to say it.:Blush:

Pete:Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So...

I did. Still using it. No negative comment, many positive. It's very unobtrusive and it does not bullshit you with "AVG has saved you from AIDs, the plague, anorexia nervosa, dysentery" in the last ten minutes.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I did. Still using it. No negative comment, many positive. It's very unobtrusive and it does not bullshit you with "AVG has saved you from AIDs, the plague, anorexia nervosa, dysentery" in the last ten minutes.

Still going to those funny web sites are you Brian? :roflmto:

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
You could just chuck them all in the bin and buy a Mac.:roflmto:

Well someone had to say it.:Blush:

Now you've done it....the Apple-bashers & fanboys will start turning up soon :Doh:

The PCs are for work and usually when I'm in the 'van....I'm typing this on a Mac.

Thanks everyone for your replies...I've replaced Avast! on the netbook with MSE and it's scanning as I type. I'll do the same with the other 2 PCs - if I'm not happy I have until the end of October to take up a "please don't go" upgrade offer from Avast!

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
"fanboy" ? Is that one of the gay men who's had The Operation ? And why do they get excited about platform wars ?

Now then Brian....you know very well they're the ones counting down the number of days until they can upgrade to an iPhone 6.

Drat....now I'm doing it...

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
microsoft security essentials does it for me:thumb:

And me..MSE....I paid for Norton and had it installed on purchase of our new net book...purchased the Norton again to continue after the first year... it co*ked the net book up completely, had to go back to factory settings lost everything!!! never again...microsoft has worked fine for us, just about to buy a new lap and MS essentials will be installed on that one :thumb: M S essentials was one that Martin Lewis recommended:thumb:

Last edited:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
If you bank with Barclays and use on line banking you can get Kaspersky for free.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
If you bank with Barclays and use on line banking you can get Kaspersky for free.

This is another free one that Martin Lewis recommended...there was a total of three free anti Virus all had the thumbs up:thumb: that M.Lewis recommended ...MSE..Kaspersky...can not remember the last one

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
microsoft security essentials does it for me:thumb:

And me.

So...

If AVG does what you want it to do JJ, thats the one you want.
I changed as MSE was recommended when I got a new lappy.
Was happy with AVG, happy with MSE also.

So which parts of the computer do you drill into to stop the virus's ?
This is a new technique to me !

barry:Smile:

The screen.
His own reflection looks like a bug. It scares him!:ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The screen.
His own reflection looks like a bug. It scares him!:ROFLMAO:
OI!!

If you bank with Barclays don't you deserve every bug going? :roflmto:

And me..MSE....I paid for Norton and had it installed on purchase of our new net book...purchased the Norton again to continue after the first year... it co*ked the net book up completely, had to go back to factory settings lost everything!!! never again...microsoft has worked fine for us, just about to buy a new lap and MS essentials will be installed on that one :thumb: M S essentials was one that Martin Lewis recommended:thumb:
Norton, first thing that I take off if it is included in a base package.

Now then Brian....you know very well they're the ones counting down the number of days until they can upgrade to an iPhone 6.

Drat....now I'm doing it...
I thought they were saddos, not fanboys :ROFLMAO:

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
been reading this thread with interest as have just got a new notebook, HP Pro, with Windows 7 and MSE and windows firewall preinstalled. will this be enough security for online banking. if not, what's recommended..

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years

And me .free and works just fine....combine it with free malawarebytes anti malaware
and its a good solution.

Clean up your computer with free CC cleaner every week gets rid of temp files and rubbish.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
been reading this thread with interest as have just got a new notebook, HP Pro, with Windows 7 and MSE and windows firewall preinstalled. will this be enough security for online banking. if not, what's recommended..
After a career in IT, not touching on-line banking with a barge pole works for me ::bigsmile:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I've used AVG for many, many years with no problems. Also installed it on all the systems I built and everyone seems happy. I also run Spybot from time to time to keep on top of things.

Wyn

So...

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c