Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
vw conversion
Exp
im a newbie
this is a big problem for me. i hate driving. i use our 1983 vw caravelle as my drive-around in uk. thats as big as i go. i have never driven it outside of dorset. i love motor home life. i want to leave england and get back into france, germany , holland etc, my worry is,, what happens if / when he cant do the driving? to answer myself, i have to fight my driving phobia. thats a bit like saying i have to stop being scared of spiders. what to do eh?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
The longer you leave it the worse it will get...:Sad:

Get out and away this weekend...

Practice makes perfect... :thumb:

OP
OP
kathywil

kathywil

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
vw conversion
Exp
im a newbie
yeah. i know you're right. i should be doing it. we dont have a big van at the moment. i'm wimping out and i need to get my arse in gear. ive answered my own question really. ive got to do it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Why not try a motorhome driving course with the Camping and Caravanning Club:

Link Removed

Believe the Caravan Club probably offer a similar programme too.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I dont know what part of Dorset you are at... but..

Friday 5th till Monday 15th October there is a meet near Weymouth.. "Bagwell Farm"... here = http://www.bagwellfarm.co.uk/

Mainly American RV`s.... but a few "Funsters" are coming...

Few get togethers and general sitting around drinking/Eating etc..

Break the ice and get your self down there and chat to people who travel all over Europe...

Friendliest bunch you will ever meet... and you can pick their brains about travel abroad...

You will be made most welcome.. :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
or do a few hours training with a driving instructor.

friends of ours were in a similar situation a few years back. he did all the motorhome driving as she wasnt confident although drove her car daily. the problem came when he developed heart problems and couldnt drive for 6 months. After discussing it at home and with friends, she took the plunge and did as suggested, taking a couple of hours tuition with a commercial instructor in Poole.

Thing is that since then she does virtually all the motorhome driving now, as she loves it, even touring on the continent

Kayold

Free Member
Oct 23, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year M/H, caravans 20+ yrs
It's all about practice, as the experience grows the confidence will, start with the wider roads rather than the narrow country lanes, do a few miles everytime you go out. Before long you won't think twice!

OP
OP
kathywil

kathywil

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
vw conversion
Exp
im a newbie
i think i must do a driving lesson. i cannot let this problem stop us /me from moving on.
we have been in some scary places with vans in the past, also very recently. driving uphill to st tropez. years ago, we were met with an artic lorry. huge boat on it. we had to reverse down the steep corners. yuk. somewhere in greece, a few weeks ago. i would have scrapped the van, rather than deal with those hilly bendy tiny little streets. i must deal with this prob. if i dont , we can go where we want. but i am not in control of anything,.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I was exactly the same, when we changed our van 4 years ago to a coach built from a panel van I was too nervous to drive it as I felt it was too big.
So he did all the driving for 3 years.
Felt I had to get back into it when I read a post on here about a lady stuck on a campsite unable to drive their van so took the decision to face my fears and just do it, so I have driven the van 3 times now in the last month, just short journeys for now but I must admit that after a while my confidence grows and I start to enjoy it.
He now drives the little car behind us as he gets confused using the sat nav so he follows me.
At least I won't feel stranded if he breaks a leg or even his glasses

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
When you get it, go to a local industrial estate one sunday afternoon, they are usually void of other traffic then, and drive it around there and also practice a reverse or two round a corner to get used to the size, then also book a course with either the cc or c&cc. The only way to make it better is to get out there and do it as in all things practice helps but there will always come a time when as the driver you are sweating about some manovre no matter how good you are. I drive mine (in the avatar) all the time, and if i can drive and manovre that im sure you will master your van

maggie

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Practice somewhere quiet, like an industrial estate, then onto quiet roads, if there are any, and be confident. It is all in the mind.
Remember the roads where you are, are exactly the same as the roads anywhere else.
Use your mirrors all the time, especially the door mirrors.
With practice you will soon be able to 'feel' the size of your MH. Like parking next to a kerb, you will hit it a few times, then you wont.
And do not worry what's behind you, just be aware, concentrate ahead, and most of all, relax.........

Craig

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
At least I won't feel stranded if he breaks a leg or even his glasses

I think there is a legal requirement to carry spare glasses.

With the high viz, the brethalizers, triangles, bulbs, documents, condoms.

It's a wonder we set off.

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
I sympathise with you, as my wife Jill has a similar problem. She passed her driving test about 30 years ago, but hasn't driven at all for the last 27 years - she has absolutely no confidence whatsoever behind the wheel and always hated driving with a passion. She did her best to overcome it, even had sessions with a hypnotherapist, but we eventually agreed that it wasn't going to work and that I would do all the driving.

Now, of course, as I rapidly approach the age at which one has to be aware that events could transpire which would prevent me from driving whilst away in our MH, the problem looms large again.

I don't know if your problem with driving is as bad as Jill's, and I admire your determination to overcome it. Good luck!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have a different problem. Shirley would like to drive the van (Mercedes Sprinter based A class), and is not bothered about its size but cannot reach the pedals unless she stands up (She is vertically challenged, she calls it petite, I call it shortarse). I did wonder about removing the drivers seat swivel but it would probably oinly make about an inch difference. Platform shoes perhaps ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We have a different problem. Shirley would like to drive the van (Mercedes Sprinter based A class), and is not bothered about its size but cannot reach the pedals unless she stands up (She is vertically challenged, she calls it petite, I call it shortarse). I did wonder about removing the drivers seat swivel but it would probably oinly make about an inch difference. Platform shoes perhaps ?

there is an adaption available that was developed for disabled drivers... a set of extra pedals that can be flipped up when not needed. With a little research I am certain that a set could be adapted to fit your van

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back