Trailer for motor scooter. (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Looking at purchasing a Piaggio MP3 (three wheeled scooter) mainly for home use, but depending on cost etc, may want to take away with us. Weight is about 265Kg, so too heavy for tow bar leaving a trailer as the only option.

Spoke to a couple of guys selling trailers at Lincoln, costs seemed similar at around £450-500 for a tow bar (tag axle) and about £800-1000 for a trailer. Does not need to be braked apparently.

The length of the machine is just less than the width of the MH so one suggested having a shorter transverse trailler to help with storage etc. The other suggested a traditional (lengthways) trailer would be better.

Manoeuvrability and storage both onsite and at home may be an issue, don`t want to have to keep loading and unloading the machine just to move the trailer about, not sure if the shape of the trailer has much of a bearing on this.

Does anyone know of anyone who can also quote for both tow bar and trailer, as close to Midlands as possible?

How do I find out what is the max weight I can tow?

Any other advice suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Steve

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
motorbike trl

Ste whilst at dusseldorf. Show there was a company selling trailers that might suit you better its expensive but when coupled to you van becomes part of your van I.e backs up straight like a ridged vec not artic many options box van to match your van giving u much needed storage ps sat in Cyprus by the sea replying to this 30 in shade:Cool:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hi Steve. I had the same decision to make a few years ago, which trailer. I went for a transverse variety and it has proved to be a good investment. I carry a Sukuki Burgman (220kgs) and it is heavy. It tows without any difficulty and reverses ok after some practice. The beauty is that it is very short and takes up very little space when on site.
I found armitage trailers at Ferrybridge to be very helpful and haven't had any problems.
Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Spoke to a guy in France who had one of these think it was a different company but cant remember im sure someone will be along to help with it . The guy was about 70 and he took his scooter off in about 5 mins with no hassle very impressive

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/hydra-trail.htm

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
TRailer for scooter.

Hi we have just brought a 250 mp3 2008, and are having
a transverse trailer with a bi fold ramp buillt by CMF trailers at Ross on Wyre - Phil, very helpful chap The weight of the 250 is 223kg. Tel 01989 769191, he may be able to help with tow bar as well, depends where abouts in Midlands you are. Very helpful and knowledgeable chap, mention our name.
Peter

QUOTE=Encantador;649270]Looking at purchasing a Piaggio MP3 (three wheeled scooter) mainly for home use, but depending on cost etc, may want to take away with us. Weight is about 265Kg, so too heavy for tow bar leaving a trailer as the only option.

Spoke to a couple of guys selling trailers at Lincoln, costs seemed similar at around £450-500 for a tow bar (tag axle) and about £800-1000 for a trailer. Does not need to be braked apparently.

The length of the machine is just less than the width of the MH so one suggested having a shorter transverse trailler to help with storage etc. The other suggested a traditional (lengthways) trailer would be better.

Manoeuvrability and storage both onsite and at home may be an issue, don`t want to have to keep loading and unloading the machine just to move the trailer about, not sure if the shape of the trailer has much of a bearing on this.

Does anyone know of anyone who can also quote for both tow bar and trailer, as close to Midlands as possible?

Thanks

Steve[/QUOTE]

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Weight is about 265Kg, so too heavy for tow bar leaving a trailer as the only option.
Steve

Serious weight. And two front wheels, there's a poser for a "bike" trailer.

Contrast this to a Chinese 125 I queried on ebay, under 100kg.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Spoke to a guy in France who had one of these think it was a different company but cant remember im sure someone will be along to help with it . The guy was about 70 and he took his scooter off in about 5 mins with no hassle very impressive

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/hydra-trail.htm

I googled easy-lifter and picked up a 29 page thread on FACTS. Failures and county court judgements figured a lot. Read before ordering.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As i mentioned Brian it wasnt an easylifter it was a similar make i was just trying to illustrate the type of trailer i has seen in use. Very good advice though to check out anything before parting with money

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As i mentioned Brian it wasnt an easylifter it was a similar make i was just trying to illustrate the type of trailer i has seen in use.

And all I was doing was pondering towing the bike, so had a look at your link and seeing how flimsy the pantograph looked to me delved deeper.

How about this French one ? Whole different ballgame, two point mounting so widely spread load. I've seen a similar UK at a show.

Sit down and hold on to seat before looking here:
http://www.ezetow.co.uk/ezetow.co.uk/PHOTOS.html

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 60

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
if you dont want a trailer google easylifter. It seems good, just goes on the tow bar and doesnt limit your speed on a motorway.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
And all I was doing was pondering towing the bike, so had a look at your link and seeing how flimsy the pantograph looked to me delved deeper.

How about this French one ? Whole different ballgame, two point mounting so widely spread load. I've seen a similar UK at a show.

Sit down and hold on to seat before looking here:
http://www.ezetow.co.uk/ezetow.co.uk/PHOTOS.html

The link you added Brian is more like the one the guy had i knew it was eze or easy something in my opinion i thought it was a good bit of kit, i only watched on though as he lifted bike off with ease.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
see loads of them in winter in spain and portugal .started about 4-5 years ago . some only have one wheel . they do seem to work well . i think they are also being sold built in uk . think there might have been a thread on them awhile ago .

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Some of the links in Broken Link Removed are now broken but the Youtube video still works. But Googling EZ Trailer just brings up a load of US sites.

Steve

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
if you dont want a trailer google easylifter. It seems good, just goes on the tow bar and doesnt limit your speed on a motorway.

Massive no no mate..
Scotties ( Richard ) and myself both bought one..

Both were returned and we got our money back

They flexed badly, and mine actually twisted the 80mm x 80mm rear box section !!!

They may be great for little lightweight stuff but I would strongly advise agin one for anything more than a 125 sort of size

Being in the bike game I have tried just about all the options..

If you want a decent well made, reliable trailer look at the Erde options.
Get one with the biggest wheels available ( 13" ) as you get far less bearing wear and the tyre options available mean you can put a decent pair of 6 ply on.
Erde also do extra runners which allow you to rig it for the three wheeled type scoots.

I sold my Erde pro 3 for £350 early this year as I no longer need such a posh unit, replacing it with a RoRo type as I have no intentions of trailering three bikes again, and the RoRo allows me to load up the heaviest bikes, alone, and with ease.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
If you want a decent well made, reliable trailer look at the Erde options.
Get one with the biggest wheels available ( 13" ) as you get far less bearing wear and the tyre options available mean you can put a decent pair of 6 ply on.
Erde also do extra runners which allow you to rig it for the three wheeled type scoots.

Thanks, looks like their single bike option may not take the weight. At first glance their price looked good but you have to add on the extras, looks like the next one up (CH451 Multi), including the extras will be around the same price as the ones at the show, but if the quality is better, is worth a look.

Having a lot of trouble getting a close up look at a Piaggio MP3 500cc though, not many around.

Steve

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
a transverse trailer with a bi fold ramp buillt by CMF trailers at Ross on Wyre - Phil, very helpful chap The weight of the 250 is 223kg. Tel 01989 769191, he may be able to help with tow bar as well, depends where abouts in Midlands you are. Very helpful and knowledgeable chap, mention our name.
Peter

Thanks Peter, what do you think of the MP3? I have not managed to see one close up yet.

Spoke to Phil, very informative.

Steve

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
trailer for scooter

Glad to be of help, great touring bike, had suzuki bergman before.
Brought it because of A. frame problems in Spain, and are taking it down there in Jan. Ours came with winter kit, and wet poncho, so when using front suspension lock you don't have to put feet on floor.
If you google yourban, they are offering trial rides, nearest we saw was Gloucester, but you can book one free of charge.
Where abouts are you.

Thanks Peter, what do you think of the MP3? I have not managed to see one close up yet.

Spoke to Phil, very informative.

Steve

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
If you google yourban, they are offering trial rides, nearest we saw was Gloucester, but you can book one free of charge.
Where abouts are you.

Stafford. Spoke to one dealer in Cradley Heath who don `t have a demostrator because they keep selling them.

Steve

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Peter

QUOTE=Encantador;649270]Looking at purchasing a Piaggio MP3 (three wheeled scooter) mainly for home use, but depending on cost etc, may want to take away with us. Weight is about 265Kg, so too heavy for tow bar leaving a trailer as the only option.

Thanks

Steve
[/QUOTE]

Hi peter,

Do you have your trailer yet?
Any chance of posting a pic if you do?

Just ordered the 500cc.

Steve

Aug 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Looking at purchasing a Piaggio MP3 (three wheeled scooter) mainly for home use, but depending on cost etc, may want to take away with us. Weight is about 265Kg, so too heavy for tow bar leaving a trailer as the only option.

Thanks

Steve
Hi Steve have just sold my mp3 had a trailer made for it 6 years ago drive on drive off it cost £1450 looking to sell it now for £895 Ono the sides are the ramp’s iff interested will send photo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back