Camping and Caravan Sat Nav Disappointment (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
What a disappointment. Both I and Tom Tom have just found out you cannot use a combination of non-toll roads and toll roads using way points in their top of the range Camping and Caravan Sat Nav. In simple terms if you want to go from A to C with a way point at B then all three points must all be on a toll road or a non-toll road.
You would think that the whole purpose of a Way Point was to enable the user to select any deviation along the route and travel by this point.
Below is the response I have just received from Tom Tom, so beware of this shortfall if you are about to purchase this Sat Nav.
Hello, this is Kaire from TomTom Customer Support again. Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately it seems that it is not possible to plan a route on your Camper and Caravan device with a combination of a non toll road preference and waypoints located on toll roads. After entering a waypoint on a toll road, the device notifies you about the toll road and if you choose to continue then it takes it as agreement to navigate on toll roads in general. These features could, however, change with future application updates.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us by clicking on the response link below.

With Kind Regards,

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Will this work?

Punch in the route with your waypoints (including the tolls roads).

Then "alternative route, avoiding..."

...and remove the bits you don't want (ie the toll roads you don't want to use) and TomTom will offer alternatives.

JJ :Cool:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I rarely use the route planning function as I found that if you miss your waypoint by just a few yards it keeps trying to divert you back to it rather than to the next waypoint. I find it easier to plan a route as a bunch of favourites. I give each of them them a name and number, then just hit "navigate to" "favourites" and choose them as the journey progresses. :thumb:

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for responding Guy's. My aim was to travel to south of France using much of the N10 route, which is toll free, well almost (see link http://about-france.com/travel.htm). I have used this route a few times and found it to be brilliant but too long to remember by heart.
My plan was to use the toll road through Tours as suggested in 'the route' and I simply selected a non-toll route from A to C along this route with no Toll roads and the Sat Nav more or less selected the same route which was reassuring. I then put 3 way points in to take me onto Jct. 19 of the A10 just north of Tours and exiting on Jct. 23 just south of Tours.
Well away we went and an hour or so later I found myself on the A28 heading for Le Man after exiting Rouen.

I got round the problem by breaking the journey down into smaller segments and all went well. However, when you pay top dollar for a top of the range Sat Nav you don't expect surprises like this. I'm of the view Tom Tom were not aware of this until I brought it to their attention. On my XL Live I can use multiple waypoints and vary from toll road to non-toll road as I please, which enables me to plan a route of my choice, not so with this model. Bet there is an update soon though to correct this!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Umm.. this is EXACTLY what I have posted about a few times..

It gets worse too

With the Garmin, you can start from ON a toll road and it will get you off it asap

If you make a mistake with the tomtom or want to start from on a toll road, it will presume you are happy to use toll roads.

I have spoken at length with a tomtom person and he assured me they are aware of it and yes, it is a bit of a problem and one that they should address with the next generation of firmware.. That was two generations ago.. Last year I contacted them again and got exactly the same response .. As I have said before, TT just do not seem to care a bugger as long as they are flogging units ( and I am as bad as everyone else, as I have just bought another 1005Go! to replace an XXL unit )

For the past 3 years we have always run with both a Garmin and a TT in the front..
The Garmin ( a Nuvi ) is 4 years old now and I really do not wanna lob out a zillion beer tokens doing a map update, but it is fantastic at getting us to aires and other POI's which I dumped in the thing a couple of years ago...

I find the TT excellent for general use but it is certainly limited in a good many respects ( such as finding a way point that you are neither near or is near an intended route )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
This is the very reason most serious overlanders and 99% of overland adventure bikers use Garmin I would'nt touch TomTom with a bargepole its a poor second to Garmin.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
When in France , on my own, I just put in a town that was on my way, using my map, and then readjusted, but then i,m abit of senile old git::bigsmile:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Simple answer - buy a friggin' map

:thumb:

In many miles of driving (HGVs, cars, MHs etc) I have never owned a sat nav, nor have I had the urge to buy one. I use large scale truckers maps that show such things as weight limits, low bridges, weak bridges etc.

The amount of times I have been asked for directions by drivers "cos my sat nav can't pinpoint it" is amazing. What is probably meant is that they can't work their sat navs.

I still find it more fun to plan my route in advance and write ( yes, write) down bullet point notes that the boss can read as we progress. At least I have an idea where I need to be going because I have looked on a map and some of it sticks in my head.

If we get lost we usually console ourselves with the fact that it is probably somewhere that we have never been to before and it is a "first" for us. In reallity we are not lost. Just not where we intended to be. :Blush:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I still find it more fun to plan my route in advance and write ( yes, write) down bullet point notes that the boss can read as we progress.

A map is a treat at keeping 'er indoors happy and quiet and we always get there.

BUT, you can't beat a satnav for the last few miles like earlier this month finding a hotel in the middle of the one way maze that is Brugge.

Same at Marjal earlier this year, it's in a little spaghetti junction, here again the satnav eases the pain of the final mile or two, though we did the other 1500 by map.

And I confess, we've been stuck in the middle of a French city, knowing the next city but signposts only for local suburbs. After many "there must be a signpost at the next island" I fired up satnav to escape.

They are a tool, used sensibly they are an asset, followed blindly you get what you deserve.

PS......

And then they can fail dramatically. We were travelling through Switzerland. By map, no problem, nice easy route by Gstaat. Wrong. Roadworks. Directed into the middle of Gstaat. Grand place. But could we find an exit, NO. Could satnav find an exit, it thought so, pity the roads were closed. Round and round we went. In the end I parked up and fired up Autoroute with a GPS dongle. We pinpointed where we were and planned a route. Down narrow back streets, thank god for a small van, and we got out. What a place to get lost in. Very much "if you need to ask the price you've no chance".

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I came back from an appt the other side of B'ham yesterday morning in a taxi (paid for by someone else I hasten to add LOL)

The driver - a Brummie - said 'I reckon M6, A444 - is that right?' I said 'Maybe - where are you planning on getting on the M6?' NEC basically. I said 'Good God, no don't do that - stay on the A45 when we get to the NEC and I'll direct you'.

So off we set. Been a taxi driver for 40 years; never owned a Sat Nav; relied on knowledge and maps but on a long journey where he doesn't really know the end of it, passenger input v welcome. I liked.

When we arrived before I got out, I said now the traffic's died down, shall I direct you to the M6? His reply was great.

'No thanks - I loved the way we came this morning, lovely to drive along country lanes where the surface is so good - I'll go back that way. Thanks you - I love discovering new routes, even after all this time!'

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
This is the very reason most serious overlanders and 99% of overland adventure bikers use Garmin I would'nt touch TomTom with a bargepole its a poor second to Garmin.

I use a 5 year old Garmin Zumo----waterproof / drop proof ect, i can use it on a bike/car/MH.
I Put all POI from links on here in it ,then bought a lifetime map download for it--£45.
It works--gets us there--same as all the other types--
What`s the point in changing units if the maps are new?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Simple answer - [HI]buy a friggin' map[/HI]
:thumb:

Seems to be a solution at first glance but has anyone got any idea how much it would cost and how much it would weigh and how much room would be taken up if you loaded your motor home with maps for all of Europe INCLUDING A-Z type street maps of every European village, town and city.

And in this discussion I am not even adding the advantage Google Live Search to hunt out the nearest shop/restaurant/station/airport/stadium/swimming pool and so on and on and on.

No. Very sorry but "Buy a map" (friggin' or otherwise) is not a answer to my navigation needs. :winky:

"Tractor... you've gone and bought a tractor to do the ploughing? :Eeek:

Why? :Eeek:

I have a fork and spade... I don't need a tractor." :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
snipped

I got round the problem by breaking the journey down into smaller segments and all went well. However, [HI]when you pay top dollar for a top of the range Sat Nav you don't expect surprises like this[/HI]. I

It seems to me to be a case of "Expectations."

If anyone would have told me fifteen years ago I would have a device on my dashboard that would navigate me to far off places by voice and let me know how far until the next needed turn off and what the weather was like at my destination and how far left to go and the estimated time of arrival and warn me of any traffic jams ahead and then direct me to the nearest Burgerking and, and, and, I would have thought they were mad.

I am still so amazed at the incredible wonder of these things that the odd (solvable) glitch doesn't worry me too much. :Smile:

It is when I take all this amazing, life enhancing stuff for granted that I get frustrated.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back