Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
A simple question for experienced Double Skillet users....................... Can you cook JJ favourite FB pies in a double skillett and expect the pastry to rise and be crispy?

We have just tried one and it did not rise - our fault or the limitation of the double skillett?

Norman

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
A simple question for experienced Double Skillet users....................... Can you cook JJ favourite FB pies in a double skillett and expect the pastry to rise and be crispy?

We have just tried one and it did not rise - our fault or the limitation of the double skillett?

Norman

Well Norman , the only time I saw JJ cooking one in the double skillet ... it was just as you described it:RollEyes: . He likes them in the oven ... So...not in the hymer , in the Wagon!

Otherwise , the double skillet is really good , for a lot of things . Also you can have croissants warmed up and crispy in it ... but you have to be careful and watch them often or they get burnt:Eeek:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Pardon, but what is a FB pie?:getmecoat:

It's Fray Bentos they're talking about. It's an ongoing topic on here ::bigsmile:
JJ is a big fan of them. Others have varying opinions!
Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Goodness! Sorry JJ but it sounds pretty awful! I like marmite though:Smile:

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Well Norman , the only time I saw JJ cooking one in the double skillet ... it was just as you described it:RollEyes: . He likes them in the oven ... So...not in the hymer , in the Wagon!

Otherwise , the double skillet is really good , for a lot of things . Also you can have croissants warmed up and crispy in it ... but you have to be careful and watch them often or they get burnt:Eeek:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:

Thank you Frankie, this was the answer I was seeking. Please pass apologies to JJ I hadn't expected, (though I am not surprised) so much banter at JJ's expense as I thought this FB banter had died a death

Norman

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thank you Frankie, this was the answer I was seeking. Please pass apologies to JJ I hadn't expected, (though I am not surprised) so much banter at JJ's expense as I thought this FB banter had died a death

Norman
The FB banter won't dies a death until JJ lets it :roflmto: Must have a look in the cupboard to see if we have any, haven't had one of the delicious delicacies for a while :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You can use the double skillet as an oven so the pie should bake as normal, it works with proper pies! The trick when using the Skillet as an oven is to have it on a lowish heat and make sure you use the diffuser:thumb:

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
You can use the double skillet as an oven so the pie should bake as normal, it works with proper pies! The trick when using the Skillet as an oven is to have it on a lowish heat and make sure you use the diffuser:thumb:
Did this, used the diffuser and left it for an hour to cook but the pastry did not rise - it ended up more like a pudding than a pie. Reading the manual it says it is OK to heat pies but makes no mention of cooking pastry, so unless anyone has managed to bake pastry in a double skillett I feel it must be a limitation on its use.

There was one thing we did not do though that might have affected the end result - we did not pre heat both sides of the skillett

Norman

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Use the skillet all the time and have been known to have the odd FB pie, but have to say just do not think the two work well together.

FB pies like JJ are a law on to themselves.:Smile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hello Funsters.

Christmas is coming and my Card List was getting quite long.

I love threads like this because by the time I have crossed off the people still living in the FB Darkness, the list becomes more manageable... :ROFLMAO:

Here are some tips for motorhomers using double skillets and FB pies.

One of the dishes I love cooking in the double skillet is my beef stew/hotpot.

It has beef chopped into cubes with potatoes, carrots, beans, onions, peas and sometimes cabbage. Slowly cooked in the double skillet.

The vital additions are an Oxo cube, soya sauce (dark) and bisto gravy granules (for thickening to taste.)

I always cook more than I need for one meal and have those delicious "left overs."

The Fray Bentos pie and the left overs are a perfect combination for a follow up meal. I usually cook the pie in the oven as when using the Double Skillet the "puff pastry" doesn't rise fully nor go brown. The additon of the "left overs" increases the meat content. :winky:

I am planning on trying the "Blow Torch" tactic.

Someone suggested (Carol?) to try "licking" the top of the pastry with the flame from a blow torch. This is meant to "brown" the top of the pastry and might help "puff" it up too.

Must be worth a try... in due course.

JJ :Cool:

PS. I sense an opportunity for some Funsters to play with some of the words here. :Blush:

Last edited:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Don't knock 'em until you've tried 'em !

Time to start stocking up the "Emergency" store for my 8 month sojourn in Espanya and La Belle France ! FB pies are £1 apiece in Nisa at the mo so let the the purchase begin ! now waiting for Branston beans to be on offer along with PG tips !
In Catral (near Marjal !) there is an "English" shop that does Pukka pies for 1 Euro each should the need arise for more !!!!!!......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Hello Funsters.

Christmas is coming and my Card List was getting quite long.

I love threads like this because by the time I have crossed off the people still living in the FB Darkness, the list becomes more manageable... :ROFLMAO:

Here are some tips for motorhomers using double skillets and FB pies.

One of the dishes I love cooking in the double skillet is my beef stew/hotpot.

It has beef chopped into cubes with potatoes, carrots, beans, onions, peas and sometimes cabbage. Slowly cooked in the double skillet.

The vital additions are an Oxo cube, soya sauce (dark) and bisto gravy granules (for thickening to taste.)

I always cook more than I need for one meal and have those delicious "left overs."

The Fray Bentos pie and the left overs are a perfect combination for a follow up meal. I usually cook the pie in the oven as when using the Double Skillet the "puff pastry" doesn't rise fully nor go brown. The additon of the "left overs" [HI]increases the meat content[/HI]. :winky:

I am planning on trying the "Blow Torch" tactic.

Someone suggested (Carol?) to try "licking" the top of the pastry with the flame from a blow torch. This is meant to "brown" the top of the pastry and might help "puff" it up too.

Must be worth a try... in due course.

PS. I sense an opportunity for some Funsters to play with some of the words here. :Blush:

And there we have it folks a lack of meat content is confirmed

Pre planning is obviously necessary :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Myself I prefer to make my own

But sometimes I use a FB tin as a mould :thumb:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
just realised

that Fray Bentos is just an anagram of Farty Bones...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Any comment JJ? It's worth knowing before embarking on an FB mission...

Catherine

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Did this, used the diffuser and left it for an hour to cook but the pastry did not rise - it ended up more like a pudding than a pie. Reading the manual it says it is OK to heat pies but makes no mention of cooking pastry, so unless anyone has managed to bake pastry in a double skillett I feel it must be a limitation on its use.

There was one thing we did not do though that might have affected the end result - we did not pre heat both sides of the skillett

Norman

If you don't heat both sides of the skillet fully before putting stuff in it you don't get the heat required to make it into a proper oven to cook pies, pizzas etc You also have to resist the temptation to peek and thus let the heat out! :Doh:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hello Funsters.

The Fray Bentos pie and the left overs are a perfect combination for a follow up meal. I usually cook the pie in the oven as when using the Double Skillet the "puff pastry" doesn't rise fully nor go brown. The additon of the "left overs" increases the meat content. :winky:

I wonder if putting the pie under the grill before it is fully cooked would make it rise up, similar to what happens if you put an omelette in it's pan under a grill ... it makes it go all puffy. ::bigsmile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The thing is Mel B, the Hymer has no grill or oven hence the need to use the double skillet.

The Wagon, on the other hand has both an oven and a grill... but the grill not required in this case as the oven raises and browns a proportion of the pastry perfectly. :thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
LOL, you know you have the hang of Motorhome Fun, when you understand about JJ and his FB Pies. :RollEyes:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back