Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006
Our Motorhome broke down nr Lyon week last Tues 11th sept. Saga/AA france organised return of Motorhome to uk ( When it arrives??)

On wed hire car was organised for at 10am ,

This am got a speeding fine in the post , 70 km in 50km limit I think this was a roadworks area with temp speed limit. equals a 45 euro fine. ( All dates & times vehicle reg are correct)

Very quick service, perhaps this was because it was a french reg car???

The form was in french totally apart from the www address to pay which was in 6 different languages.

Very good service thanks you very much Mr french!!!!

So all be aware

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Our Motorhome broke down nr Lyon week last Tues 11th sept. Saga/AA france organised return of Motorhome to uk ( When it arrives??)

On wed hire car was organised for at 10am ,

This am got a speeding fine in the post , 70 km in 50km limit I think this was a roadworks area with temp speed limit. equals a 45 euro fine. ( All dates & times vehicle reg are correct)

Very quick service, perhaps this was because it was a french reg car???

The form was in french totally apart from the www address to pay which was in 6 different languages.

Very good service thanks you very much Mr french!!!!

So all be aware

:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:Well .... I've always said that as British you would have less trouble as they would not bother to find you as long as you are in a British registered vehicule of course!!! Now automatic cams are far better to find us... did you doubt it?:RollEyes: Excuse me to be a tad cheeky on this one BUT ... who was holding the wheel?? Surely ... not Mister French!! This is how life goes ... you drive too fast ... you get fined::bigsmile:

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

(BTW ... really feel sorry for you having prob with your van ... hope it didn't spoil your hols too much!!)

Last edited:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
This is how life goes ... you drive too fast ... you get fined::bigsmile:

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

Yes but they do target UK registered vehicles. I remember some years ago I got pulled and was told my fine would be 900 francs. (before the Euro). When he checked my papers and saw my Italian passport it was reduced to 600 francs. I'm not complaining though.
You are right though Frankie, if you speed you should expect to be fined if caught.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm in the US as we speak and to speed through an area of road works is a very serious offence. Signage states, speeding fines are doubled and any injury to workers will be a mandatory prison sentence.

I understand from others that your information is also passed by the French onto the DVLA so some points could follow. You should also inform your insurance company or your policy could become invalid should a claim be made. :Sad:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Don't delay paying the fine or it will increase:cry: - see
Link Removed

We have only ever had one guest at Parc Verger fined for speeding in an hire car (90kmh in a 70 limit) and they were on to them very quickly (we do not know of any fined for speeding in their own car). It can be difficult to realise how quickly you are driving on the empty roads around here so there is a real need to keep an eye on the limits. There are new traps being introduced that measure average speed over a distance, similar to those already in use in the UK,

The aim is to reduce deaths and casualties, so there can be no arguments really.

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Yes but they do target UK registered vehicles. I remember some years ago I got pulled and was told my fine would be 900 francs. (before the Euro). When he checked my papers and saw my Italian passport it was reduced to 600 francs. I'm not complaining though.
You are right though Frankie, if you speed you should expect to be fined if caught.

Dear me .... This is not fair (apart from the fact that one can be fined when breaking the law), and should not be tolerated . I hate when such differences are made just because you are from another country. Unfortunatly you can't avoid certain's people wickedness.. Some hate English , others German, and some in France hate "black foot"...(I am a black foot BTW....):Sad:

Amicalement

Frankie

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
You should be Balt to pay on line. There will be the address on the fine. Quite correct to say just log on and pay then you will get an e mail confirmation it has been paid. And do not delay as it does increase with time delay :cry:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I'm in the US as we speak and to speed through an area of road works is a very serious offence. Signage states, speeding fines are doubled and any injury to workers will be a mandatory prison sentence.

I understand from others that your information is also passed by the French onto the DVLA [HI]so some points could follow[/HI]. You should also inform your insurance company or your policy could become invalid should a claim be made. :Sad:

As I understand it, it is not possible to receive points on your UK licence from an offence committed whilst in Europe or overseas.

Every country has it's own system, eg in France you start with points (10 or 12) then loose them if you are convicted of offences. There is no regulated system of points between different countries.

You will most likely have to pay the fine, but the points will not follow......

semi hemi

Free Member
Sep 26, 2011
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
old transit coachbuilt
Exp
Dear me .... This is not fair (apart from the fact that one can be fined when breaking the law), and should not be tolerated . I hate when such differences are made just because you are from another country. Unfortunatly you can't avoid certain's people wickedness.. Some hate English , others German, and some in France hate "black foot"...(I am a black foot BTW....):Sad:

Amicalement

Frankie

Whats a Black Foot??

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

I wonder if some smart lawyer, perhaps one with just one leg, would get you off because it contravenes EU regulations and your human rights ?

Steve_UK

Free Member
May 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Clubman GL
Exp
Since May 2012
I had a similar experience with a hire car about three years ago when I apparently strayed into a restricted (historic?) zone in Naples. I received notification of an impending fine (plus an administration charge of about £25!) from the car hire company, but have heard nothing from the authorities.

While waiting for the fine to drop through the letter box I did a little research and found that, in order to pursue you for the fine, the documentation has to be served on you (a) within 18 months of the offence and (b) in your own language.

If that is still the case, it looks like (b) hasn't been complied with. Might be worth checking on this.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
If you want to listen to the very special way of talking of Pied Noir here is the most famous film made on the subject , by a Pied Noir . Accent and .... hands talking are what make us look as a joyfull group of people !!!!...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF3-R5IIWEk[/ame]

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I wonder if some smart lawyer, perhaps one with just one leg, would get you off because it contravenes EU regulations and your human rights ?

I Agree.

Would hate to see him negotiate the fine though::bigsmile:

semi hemi

Free Member
Sep 26, 2011
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
old transit coachbuilt
Exp
If you want to listen to the very special way of talking of Pied Noir here is the most famous film made on the subject , by a Pied Noir . Accent and .... hands talking are what make us look as a joyfull group of people !!!!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF3-R5IIWEk

Very interesting,France certainly has a very chequered history,i have been reading about the cathar wars just recently,i didn't realise that the south west area wasn't part of Fance untill after that.

OP
OP
cpease

cpease

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006
Many thanks everybody for your comments,

To put the records right I was driving a French Registered Hire car.

I went on line sat am and settled the fine in full before the 88 euro charge even started.

The point of this posting was not to moan about getting a fine for speeding, but to warn others how keen & efficient the French are getting.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Many thanks everybody for your comments,

To put the records right I was driving a French Registered Hire car.

I went on line sat am and settled the fine in full before the 88 euro charge even started.

The point of this posting was not to moan about getting a fine for speeding, but to warn others how keen & efficient the French are getting.

Probably that funsters reading my post , forgot about the original one. You did warn everyone and this was very kind of you to do so..... and well, you certainly did not moan about being fined...on the other hand you didn't sound very happy about french efficiency when saying "thank you very much Mr. French":winky:.... this is why I said I was going to be cheeky...which I did by insisting on the little moaning part of the post and forgetting about the essential which was to warn people . I'm sorry if doing this people forgot to read properly your post ... I didn't mean to be offensive ... just playing a bit with your nerves .....I will think twice next time ...promissed:Blush:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back