What Should I Do With My Engel Fridge? (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I bought an expensive, portable Engel compressor fridge.
I paid £500 for it plus £35 to send it to Portugal.

It was meant to draw 1.5 to 3.5 amps when running. The whole point of the thing was the ad that said you can run it without worrying about flat batteries.

It arrived, worked sort of but my Hymer gauge, (roughly accurate with all other appliances) showed a draw of just over 10 amps when I plugged the fridge in.

(When I plug in my tiny laptop it shows 5-7 amps using the same gauge. The LEDs draw 1 amp.)

Also the compressor cooling fan ran all the time even when the compressor wasn't working.

I was told by email this fan running was not right, and it should not draw so much current.

I returned the unit to the UK. It cost €68 to do so.

They have now tested it and say it is running to spec. Nothing wrong with it, only drawing 1.5 - 3 amps and the fan IS meant to run all the time.

Very saddened by this waste of time and money.

Now own a fridge which is in Southampton and doesn't perform as I thought it would.

It draws 10 amps from my Hymer but 1.5 - 3.5 amps in their workshop.

What should I do?

JJ :Cool:

Could they be measuring amps @ 240 a/c?

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I wonder if it's tricky selling and it's 1.5-3.5 averaged over 24 hours. So 10A and it runs 30% of the time.

Different in a hot country of course.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
You could always take the guts out of it and turn it into a Smoker

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I know am an old softy but go on then I will take it off your hands. Leave it there and I will get it picked up shortly :thumb:.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I had an old, circa 50s upright that I stripped out, one with a steel drawer in the bottom, it was great for using as a hot smoker. A few Khowai or Yellow Jacks hung on steel reinforcing and Manuka saw dust, 30 minutes impatiently waiting, then!!! Ambrosia!:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Is it something to do with lower voltage in Portugal than the UK?

I am hopeless but if a unit is designed for 240v but only gets say 220 v then I think it still works but uses more current.

Hopefully an expert on this sort of thing will clear it up.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Is it something to do with lower voltage in Portugal than the UK?

I am hopeless but if a unit is designed for 240v but only gets say 220 v then I think it still works but uses more current.

Hopefully an expert on this sort of thing will clear it up.

Just realised you are probably off grid so it wouldn't matter even if my wild theory was right ( which I doubt)

Sorry - it was too late to edit.:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
What should I do?

I suspect they are testing it on 240V using an inverter, I suggest maybe someone in the areas could pop in and be shown thecurrent draw they suggest it has. Postage is costing an arm and a leg. Mind you they are testing it at much lower temperatures than you experienced this summer and therefor would consume more in Portugal.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i still say get a inverter and use a household 240v fridge .
mind they have gone up just lately .
but sorry you are having trouble jj.
i,m more than happy with my set up .friends have had 12v compressors but they arent happy with them .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
1.5amps at 12v is a mere 18watts

3.5amps at 12v is 42watts.

for a compressor motor :Eeek:....i dont think so :Doh:

10amps is 120watts which sounds more realistic to me.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is it this model ?

ENGEL 14LTR 12v FRIDGE/FREEZER
14 Litre Chest Fridge / Freezer F-Series New Model! Lower Current Draw. Lower Noise Level. High dome lid, double door version of the MRFD-015. This unit is a totally portable yet very powerful 12 volt fridge / freezer for cars, trucks and boats. Very popular with drivers that are regularly moving from one vehicle to another and need to take their fridge with them, simply slide the carry strap over your shoulder and take your ENGEL with you. To secure this unit in your vehicle use the Transit Slide Lock and adapter plate part # TSL17 and TSLPLATE. Three Year Warranty. Capacity: 14Ltr. [HI]Voltage: 12V DC - 0.5 - 2.8 amps.[/HI] Colour: Two tone grey. External Dimensions : W442 x D284 x H398mm.
Ref: MD14-F (OE No: 07045)

MPS Price: £ 499.99 inc VAT (EACH)

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Is it this model ?

14 Litre Chest Fridge / Freezer F-Series New Model! Lower Current Draw. Lower Noise Level. High dome lid, double door version of the MRFD-015. This unit is a totally portable yet very powerful 12 volt fridge / freezer for cars, trucks and boats. Very popular with drivers that are regularly moving from one vehicle to another and need to take their fridge with them, simply slide the carry strap over your shoulder and take your ENGEL with you. To secure this unit in your vehicle use the Transit Slide Lock and adapter plate part # TSL17 and TSLPLATE. Three Year Warranty. Capacity: 14Ltr. [HI]Voltage: 12V DC - 0.5 - 2.8 amps.[/HI] Colour: Two tone grey. External Dimensions : W442 x D284 x H398mm.

You've got it in one Jim.

The very advert that sold it to me (after checking with Funsters of course.).

The same company.

bungle.bear

Free Member
Oct 14, 2011
peterborough
Funster No
MH
Self build van conversion
Exp

It was meant to draw 1.5 to 3.5 amps when running. The whole point of the thing was the ad that said you can run it without worrying about flat batteries.

It arrived, worked sort of but my Hymer gauge, (roughly accurate with all other appliances) showed a draw of just over 10 amps when I plugged the fridge in.

(When I plug in my tiny laptop it shows 5-7 amps using the same gauge. The LEDs draw 1 amp.)

Also the compressor cooling fan ran all the time even when the compressor wasn't working.

I was told by email this fan running was not right, and it should not draw so much current.

They have now tested it and say it is running to spec. Nothing wrong with it, only drawing 1.5 - 3 amps and the fan IS meant to run all the time.

Now own a fridge which is in Southampton and doesn't perform as I thought it would.

What should I do?

What size cable do you have it running on? If it's to small the voltage drop is hugh and the current is increased, I had a waeco and had the same issues,

A good indication is the brightness of the fridge light, does it look dim?

I would suggest you try it on a seperate leisure battery and monitor it with a current clamp.

Anthony

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is it this model ?

What should I do?

so which should it be 1.5 > 3.5amps...OR...0.5 > 2.8amps

they state one value in their advert yet another in their reply to you. :Doh:

and why does a compressor fridge need a fan ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You could have found the problem Antony although I plugged its own (quite fat) cable directly into the Hymer socket which I understood to be able to handle 16 amps and was therefore expecting it to be able to handle 3.5 amps.

No fridge light here... it is an over the shoulder with its strap, portable job.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just received an email.

They will return it to me at no cost to me as a gesture of goodwill.

So I would only be €68 out of pocket but might still have a power hungry fridge.

I suppose I must just take their word for it when it comes to current draw...

... unless...

....a super Funster lives very, very near Hedge End, Southampton and could pop along and be my "eyes" for me...

Just a thought... inspired by Roger...

Now that is scary... "Inspired By Roger" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Just received an email.

They will return it to me at no cost to me as a gesture of goodwill.

So I would only be €68 out of pocket but might still have a power hungry fridge.

I suppose I must just take their word for it when it comes to current draw...

... unless...

....a super Funster lives very, very near Hedge End, Southampton and could pop along and be my "eyes" for me...

Just a thought... inspired by Roger...

Now that is scary... "Inspired By Roger" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Couple of solar panels bit of wire

Cold biers at your elbow outside

Saves using the steps into the super van

Except when you have a pleasant visitor

Then obviously it would be a bottle of wine or six

:thumb::RollEyes::thumb:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My Engel fridge has be returned to me.

Quote from engineer. "Test ran fridge and could not find any fault.
The fridge is drawing 1.5 amp and not the 10 amps as stated by the customer..."

Watch out for the up and coming video (in production now) showing this same fridge drawing 11 amps at 12 volts.

They same one thing... I say another... and what I say will be shown on video and posted around the world, just as what they say has been posted around the world in their slick adverts.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
showing this same fridge drawing 11 amps at 12 volts.

Just make sure that the way that you are metering this is accurate or you may be needing the services of sloberbobajob.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just make sure that the way that you are metering this is accurate or you may be needing the services of sloberbobajob.

Wise advice Brian.

I will be very careful to present all the evidence to the viewers.

They can decide.

I will show two separate ammeters and what they measure.

I will show the meters measuring other devices.

If they told me it was drawing 7 amps when I show 10-11 amps it would be
possible to explain my reading as inaccurate but it is not 8.5 amps out over a 10 amps range!

The only thing I can think of is that they are not plugging into a battery. They are plugging into a 12 volt source coming from a converter plugged into the mains. Then they are reading the amps drawn but at 240 volt a/c not at 12 volts.

On every email I have sent I state "10 amps at 12 volts" and their advert says "at 12 volts" too... but their engineers don't mention the voltage.

I am sure this fridge/freezer is not performing as they claim in their advertising.

JJ

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I find all of this very puzzling JJ

.. you are not a stupid person so there is no reason to doubt what you say is true .. but on the other hand it makes no sense for the maker to make false claims..

Is there a data plate, and if so does it say what the amps or the HP is ?

11A at 12v = 132watts .. which is 0.177 HP .. a very small motor

the makers claim 1.5A at (we assume) 12v that equals 18watts or 0.024 HP .. a tiny motor ..

I tend to agree with your conclusion that they are measuring or quoting the AC amps into an inverter and not the current going to the fridge at 12v

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have the 14L TR

Here is some blurb about it...

Link Removed

I know little about watts and HP of fridge compressors. I am not making anything up nor have I misread the details.

Engel have a unique, patented compressor.

Hi JJ

wasn't suggesting you made anything up, I read the blurp earlier when you first posted... and it clearly says 12V DC - 0.5 - 2.8 amps.

what I was asking is if there is anything on the unit itself by way of a data plate that may contradict the blurp .. ?

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years